Gransnet forums

Chat

Everything - well nearly everything - is right in this country

(267 Posts)
Opal Tue 03-Dec-19 14:04:03

Don't know about you but I'm getting so fed up with all of the doom mongers and nay sayers on here, I thought I'd start up a thread for the positive amongst us to list everything that we think is great about this country.

My thoughts - I love the beautiful British countryside and the fact that it looks different in every season. I love our friendly village pubs that serve good beer and good pub grub. I love our coastline, some of the most beautiful in the world.

Over to you guys - let's keep this thread going ........

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 09:36:47

Having spent a very enjoyable evening in the village hall organised and manned by volunteers, I'll reinforce my earlier post and nominate all the volunteers in this country try who give their services freely to help others, to organise events which raise money for good causes.

From those volunteers who put their lives in danger at sea, on cliffs, etc to safe lives to those organising social events - this country's finest.

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 09:37:55

Auto-correct thought there should be an extra try after country in there.
Does anyone know how to take it off?
Please?

JenniferEccles Sun 08-Dec-19 09:56:40

Oh dear. Some comments are just so predictable aren’t they?

I just KNEW as soon as someone mentioned Cecil Rhodes that before too long a comment would appear accusing him of being a racist and that latest put down so favoured at the moment - a white suprematist.

Sure enough, there it was!

crystaltipps Sun 08-Dec-19 10:01:03

What we want for Christmas.?

sunseeker Sun 08-Dec-19 10:40:26

I was feeling pretty fed up yesterday when I came across a bunch of bikers, dressed as Santa, on their way to the annual Santa ride (they raise funds for the local childrens' hospice). Put a smile on my face and cheered me up for the rest of the day.

inkcog Sun 08-Dec-19 10:46:02

I suppose if somebody thinks the sky is purple, it's a complete waste of time and effort saying, no it's green.
If you exist in a bubble and only mix with a certain type of person and read certain things, you end up as a Purple Sky person.

One thing I like about this country is the many opportunities we have to push ourselves out there and meet such a great variety of people.

Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 10:47:26

I so love the picture of the two little kittens snuggled up together.

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 13:16:18

But I don't want them for Christmas, thank you anyway crystaltipps
tchwink

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Dec-19 13:27:49

I think you have a problem inkcog, if you think the sky is green. Why would anyone believe you?

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Dec-19 13:31:24

I so love the picture of the two little kittens snuggled up together.

Thanks Gonegirl - they are my lovely sweeties Archie and Phoebe. Such a joy. They were only 5 weeks old when I rescued them and I had to have a bottle-feeding kit from the vet.

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 13:55:58

Sparklefizz nothing against your dear little kittens but I prefer a puppy any day!!

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Dec-19 15:19:25

Callistemon I like puppies too, but kittens is wot I got!! grin

Mebster Sun 08-Dec-19 16:52:29

I live in the US but love the UK so much and find the people to be generally happy, friendly and community minded. I love to visit and would try to move to UK if not for my grans. You have so much history, beauty, NHS, good public transit, very little violence compared to the US and easy access to lots of parks, walking trails and many cultures. I wouldn't mind the higher taxes for all this. I don't think Brits are as greedy as US citizens.

MerylStreep Sun 08-Dec-19 17:05:31

Thank you Mebster Fortunately most of us feel the same ?

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 17:08:10

Thank you Mebster

Many people I know love the USA too and many of the people. I have only visited myself, briefly, once so can't comment (and that was during a hurricane!).

BlueSky Sun 08-Dec-19 17:48:33

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, even in France which I love. It's ok for holidays but not to live there permanently. Our good old NHS, our simple bureaucracy, our manners, just compare it to the alternative abroad!