Gransnet forums

Chat

Train anxiety

(79 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Thu 05-Dec-19 08:20:17

This probably seems trivial to most people but yesterday I made a train journey on my own for the first time in a very long time. I don’t know why but train travel on my own makes me very anxious ( other transport is fine) so I avoid it. Yesterday I really wanted to go to a special event so made myself get the train from local station into London for it. DD2 met me and we continued journey together so I didn't have to change trains on my own. That’s the next stage for me but I was so relieved I was ok and a little bit proud that I managed it.

crazyH Thu 05-Dec-19 23:37:20

We'll done!

JackyB Sat 07-Dec-19 10:10:31

GrammaH in Germany I use the Deutsche Bahn app. I can buy my ticket on it and track trains.

At this very moment I am sitting on a train from Ely to Stansted Airport and I downloaded the National Rail app to try it out., to see if it was equally efficient. It has live train info but I couldn't figure out if I could buy my ticket on it.

This train is quite crowded (everyone seems to be going to Cambridge ot London to do their Christmas shopping), but I have had a carriage to myself on this stretch before.

Tweedle24 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:20:23

twiceasnice Welldone. For those who are nervous, use the rail companies’ travel assist service. It is completely free. Once you have your ticket just call the number (it is on line) and there will be someone there to help you with your luggage on and off the train.

I started using it when my husband was struggling with Parkinson’s and then continued when my arthritic knee made travel difficult. Now my knee has been replaced, I still use it as it is so helpful to have someone help with putting luggage on and off the train. Some of the gaps between train and platform I find quite intimidating