Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone staying up all night on Thursday?

(94 Posts)
newnanny Mon 09-Dec-19 10:32:09

I shall be. I am getting snacks in and lots of coffee to keep me awake. I wonder which big beast will fall this time around. I just love seeing the map turn blue. I won't be watching on Sky though as I see they are having Bercow on and I dislike him. So ladies anyone else staying up to watch?

kittylester Mon 09-Dec-19 12:05:14

We are out for Christmas lunch with friends during the day so will need a power napkin we are going to make it! We will vote before lunch to make sure we tick the correct box!

SueSocks Mon 09-Dec-19 12:11:08

I will for as long I am able to! I love the graphs and graphics!
I'll stay up until I can no longer stay awake or until things start to not go the way I want.

Calendargirl Mon 09-Dec-19 12:29:56

I shall have been working as a poll clerk, will probably get home 10.30ish, so won’t go to bed straightaway as will be wide awake. Don’t know how long I will stay up, and will probably switch tv on to see how things are going if I go to the loo in the night.

Luckygirl Mon 09-Dec-19 12:36:57

Absolutely not - losing sleep will not change the result. I am sure it will be all over the news in the morning.

Grannyknot Mon 09-Dec-19 13:07:42

... with ad nauseum commentary.

I shall be sound asleep on Thursday night.

jo1book Mon 09-Dec-19 14:05:34

Jura

Panic Attacks! It's only Politics; get a grip woman!

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 14:12:41

not forgetting we have a lot of students who've " become of age "
And I hope they are behaving themselves and not voting at home and also at Uni, as I heard some rumours about that happening. I've no idea if this is possible but it certainly shouldn't be.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 09-Dec-19 14:25:40

No. Same comment as Luckygirl.

Got a full hectic day on Thursday so will be shattered by 10:00 and ready for bed. Wouldn't have stayed up anyway. Never have before.

I'm squeezing in voting between jobs though.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 14:31:30

jolbook, take the p*ss hmm mick, if you want. Not very nice by I can take it. NO, it is not 'just an election' this time- and it is for me, about Remain or Leave with No Deal - with WTO being blocked by Trump. And about the NHS and so much more. It is also about our personal future and that of people we care for.

I can well understand that for some people, it is 'just an election' - but for us, IT IS NOT. Thanks.

lemongrove Mon 09-Dec-19 14:33:41

Chestnut ?No worries on that score, it will be a miracle if they can be bothered to vote once.
DH always stays up all night at every GE, but I just wait for the exit polls, then scoot off to bed.
We won’t be watching Bercow though!

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 14:45:08

Why is it not just an election for people in Switzerland?
Is it because of our membership or not of the EU and whether or not Switzerland may want to change their minds and apply again to join?

nanaK54 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:11:30

I would love to stay up all night, but as a 'Waspi' I find myself still working.….

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:17:52

No Calli- it is because we are British and love Great Britain- and because we are solely dependent on UK pensions in Sterling. Because our children, grandchildren, family and friends are in the UK- because we always planned to return to UK at some point, which is why we kept property there- and so much more. And because we fully identify with being Europeans, as well as British and Swiss. The French speaking part would have joined the EU- had we not been outvoted by the German part - so we can feel how Scottish people feel.

NanKate Mon 09-Dec-19 15:44:42

No I won’t, but will be awake about 5.45 on Friday with my cuppa and hopefully a blue result.

Saw Boris on BBC News 24 and standing next to him was the ex-Labour MP Gisela Stuart I really rather like her.

I believe in democracy and if my Party do not get get I will be disappointed, but will not demand a second Election. ??

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 15:48:30

jura2 - how many times - we are not leaving Europe, we are leaving the bureaucracy that is the EU. Remainers seem to think we want to cut all ties with Europe and have nothing to do with them. Hysterical nonsense.

sf101 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:18:31

I will be counting the votes so I hope I can stay awake - don't want any re counts!

maytime2 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:22:07

I always stay up to watch the general election results since the days of Ted Heath v Jim Callaghan. And I was up for Portillo.
I enjoy every minute.

NotTooOld Mon 09-Dec-19 16:24:36

I shall try to stay up but may fall asleep! It's 'istry innit?

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:28:23

Chestnut - perhaps you don't quite understand the implications. Yes, we will leave Europe in 100s of ways.

Our borders will no longer be protected from the EU, we will no longer share EU anti terrorist and criminal info, we will no longer have access to their markets, we will no longer be part of collaborative research projects and funding, we will no longer have free movement, the list is endless.

annep1 Mon 09-Dec-19 17:02:33

I will probably sleep for a while then catch up during the night. I am too interested in the result both here (NI) and in GB to sleep through.

Daisymae Mon 09-Dec-19 17:04:37

No way. Not sure that I will be in that much of a hurry to find out what happened on Friday.

Fiachna50 Mon 09-Dec-19 17:06:36

No, Im going to a Christmas event the next day. What will be will be.

phoenix Mon 09-Dec-19 17:51:43

I would sooner put pins in my eyes, or try to teach a goldfish to hang glide! grin

(Phoenix wanders off singing "Que sera, sera")

MiniDriver56 Mon 09-Dec-19 17:54:49

I will be as I’m helping to count votes!

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 17:57:54

phoenix grin