Gransnet forums

Chat

Sign of things to come?

(55 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:13:12

There is a field close to where I live where various political parties have placed their election posters/banners. This is how they looked today:

Labour - nowhere in sight
Green Party - banner blown away
LibDems - posts leaning dangerously close to the ground and some posters blown away
Conservative - post solidly upright and posters firmly in place

MiniMoon Wed 11-Dec-19 00:27:24

On Saturday I saw a chap in a field taking down the Conservative sign.
I wondered if it was the farmer taking umbrage, or whether he'd seen the weather forecast and was taking precautions in case the sign blew into the road.
The house opposite me has Labour posters in all of it 's windows.
Someone from the Labour party had been here when we were out, and left a campaign leaflet in our post box.

Ginny42 Wed 11-Dec-19 00:54:43

It's very noticeable here that people are not displaying signs for their candidate in their house windows or gardens as they usually do at election time. I've only seen two - for the Tory candidate. I wonder if people are genuinely afraid to openly advertise their political affiliation.

grannyactivist Wed 11-Dec-19 01:06:05

There are a (very) few Conservative boards up here - and yes, they are in fields - there are none at all for Labour, the Greens or LibDems I'm told (by people who, unlike me, can get out), but there are hundreds upon hundreds for a hard working local councillor who is standing as an Independent Candidate. Win or lose I think it will be a fight to the wire because this constituency has been held by the Conservative Party for 184 years. (Currently the longest held seat by one party anywhere in the country.)

I shall be holding my breath to see if she does it and I have a bottle of champagne in the fridge to toast her success or to commiserate with her failure. Either way she's fought an honest, dignified campaign and should be proud of the success she's already had in reducing the conservative majority by half in the past two elections. She has a tiny budget and no party machine to support her, but she has an army of ordinary people who are out on the streets backing her.

MamaCaz Wed 11-Dec-19 21:57:36

This thread has just made me realize that there is a distinct lack of boards up in the fields around here, which is unusual.
It makes me wonder if a lot of our local farmers are much less certain about who they support this time!