Gransnet forums

Chat

Walking-off the calories

(54 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 11-Dec-19 08:11:16

Researchers at Loughborough University are recommending that packaging should state how long it takes to walk-off what you're about to eat.

I have to say it's something that's kept me on the straight and narrow diet-wise over the past couple of years and think it's a very good idea. I stop and think, do I really need that little bag of Kettle chips hmm

Calories

timetogo2016 Wed 11-Dec-19 08:15:12

I too think it`s a good idea Riverwalk.
So I will get my treat and walk and eat.

Nortsat46 Wed 11-Dec-19 08:38:18

Yesterday my partner and I had take away pizza for supper and a bottle of wine. Despite the fact that I served it with a lovely salad, I think we need to do a four hour walk this morning.

Hmmm... a rare treat will become even more rare ...

Framilode Wed 11-Dec-19 08:55:45

Since getting my dog 3 months ago and doing 2 decent walks a day I have lost half a stone. This is without changing my eating habits.

PamelaJ1 Wed 11-Dec-19 09:05:08

No harm in doing it but I’m not sure what good it will do.
There is so much information out there already that overweight* people choose to ignore why would they bother to read it.
* Those with low metabolism, medical or genetic or any of the other myriad reasons for being overweight please don’t get cross, of course I don’t mean you!

Urmstongran Wed 11-Dec-19 09:07:40

After 6 weeks here in Spain I’d better start walking from Land’s End to John o’ Groats ....
?

EllanVannin Wed 11-Dec-19 09:11:41

I've pretty well always been an " on the go " person so have never worried about keeping fat on for very long. Have always eaten anything and everything, except junk. My preferences being home-cooked nourishing meals which I've always made sure of one cooked dinner daily of either meat or fish. A pretty varied menu of meals really with a piece of fruit in between.

MamaCaz Wed 11-Dec-19 09:11:58

Surely, how long it takes to 'walk off' a given number of calories depends on the very variable factors such as the weight and fitness of the person, doesn't it?

Yehbutnobut Wed 11-Dec-19 09:12:51

It would certainly be an eye opener. Since my hip has made walking painful I have put on half a stone since last January. This has just tipped me into the overweight category (BMI 25.5)

Hopefully it will drop off when I can move again.

Nansnet Wed 11-Dec-19 09:17:57

I agree with PamelaJ1 ... I think that the majority of people who eat chocolate bars (myself included!) don't bother to read what's written on the wrapper. They already tell us how many calories and carbs/sugars, etc., they contain, so we know it's not good for us, but it doesn't stop us from eating them! So, I can't imagine that a notice telling us that we need to exercise for however long in order to burn off the calories will make the slightest jot of difference.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Dec-19 09:49:19

Surely we all know by now what we should eat and what we shouldn't?

CarlyD7 Wed 11-Dec-19 10:34:29

That would be a really good idea as I suspect that most people wildly underestimate how much exercise it takes to burn off even a packet of crisps. Anything that supports us to make healthier choices get my support.

4allweknow Wed 11-Dec-19 10:39:39

Any moderate exercise is good is it not. The problem about weight isn't not enoch exercise, it's its too much food no matter what kind. Thermal dynamics, if you put too much fuel in, you need to do more to burn it off. If children weren't fed so much fuel there wouldn't be the child obesity problem we have today. Getting them to exercise will not solve the problem, it's the food they eat and the volume. Same goes for adults of course.

FlexibleFriend Wed 11-Dec-19 10:40:27

Wouldn't it only work on packaged food? How are they going to stamp it on a spud or an apple?

jenni123 Wed 11-Dec-19 10:50:50

Won't help me as I can't walk more than 4 or 5 paces while hanging on to something, other times it is wheelchair/buggy

Scribbles Wed 11-Dec-19 11:11:37

Am I the only person who's absolutely sick and tired of being "nannied" in this way? It seems there's a whole industry out there determined to ensure we all feel guilty about enjoying anything at all.

Yes, I know a Mars Bar will be needless calories; that another roast potato will go straight to my hips but - guess what? I know when my input has been greater than my output because my clothes get tight and so I make the effort to do a little more and eat a little less until normality is restored. Why on earth are people getting paid to come up with recommendations like this? There must be something more useful they could do.

(Sorry. Woke up in grumpy-old-woman mode today. Rant over)

Yehbutnobut Wed 11-Dec-19 11:30:15

‘nannied’? Really? No one is forcing you to follow advice that’s out there. It’s up to you.

spabbygirl Wed 11-Dec-19 11:37:31

I would love to see calorie burn off times on packaging

Rosyanne Wed 11-Dec-19 12:03:13

You might find this website interesting. Www.smartbmicalculator.com. More realistic than other forms of calculating.

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Dec-19 12:08:25

I can see both sides of the argument here but the levels of obesity in this country is shocking and I don’t know what the answer is.

Every town centre seems to have a fast food outlet in every other shop and they are all full of people stuffing their faces.

I honestly think people are in denial about their size because everywhere they look there are others the same size or larger.

Obesity costs the NHS billions a year to treat associated diseases which is shameful when you consider it is entirely self inflicted.

Will this labelling work where other attempts to address the problem have failed?

I doubt it.

nipsmum Wed 11-Dec-19 12:08:31

What nonsense . At almost 80 its up to me whether I read this nanny state stuff. Will the police come if I don't follow the directives. I eat well walk my 2 dogs 3 times daily and I've lived this long without needing to be told how much I should walk to keep my weight down.

FlexibleFriend Wed 11-Dec-19 12:24:01

Well I'd love to be able to walk but I can't, I can stand and take couple of steps while in agony. I break out into a sweat standing up or even sitting down but have manage to keep my weight within reasonable limits. It ain't rocket science you just eat less than you use up. I eat very little that comes in a packet and that already has the calories listed. They can only tell you how long it would take a person of average weight with average metabolism to walk off whatever is in the packet. Not everyone has an average metabolism or is of average weight and those that do need the least help.

123kitty Wed 11-Dec-19 12:44:56

I think I'd need to walk before I had the treat. Once eaten I'd probably just put off the exercise till later (never).

Mcrc Wed 11-Dec-19 13:14:04

That sounds quite annoying

Parklife1 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:21:24

It’s not just a question of looking at the calories on a packet though and working out what exercise you need to take to work it off. You have to take into account the calories that you use during a normal day anyway. Otherwise, if we didn’t burn calories going about our daily routine, we’d just get fatter.