Gransnet forums

Chat

Sign of the times? No one offered me a seat.

(95 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Dec-19 08:29:02

I had to sit on the floor of the carriage on my return from Kings Cross on Sunday.
This wasn’t a problem. I positioned myself by the bit where the carriages connect, the space by all the doors was jam packed.
I sat on my coat and tucked my legs behind the back seat.
Luckily I am fairly fit and can get up and down quite easily.
On looking around the half of the carriage that I could see I noticed that I was the oldest occupant?. I think that’s a first!

Not one of the young people offered me a seat. There were lots of young people, the first stop is Cambridge.
I’m not complaining, just commenting. Maybe I should be flattered that they thought I was fit enough?
I don’t think that I would have felt comfortable back in the day if the position was reversed.

Aepgirl Tue 17-Dec-19 10:56:40

Recently I was on a train and was offered a seat by a young man, and just as I was about to sit down another man got there first. Luckily the polite youngster told him to move!

endlessstrife Tue 17-Dec-19 10:58:21

I do think courtesy and manners have left the building, but I think the younger generation of women are partly to blame, with the constant shouting of equality and their rights. Also, people are oblivious to others, mainly because they’re often plugged into something! The result is, some older people have become rude too. I’d like to think it was because you looked good, and therefore, no one felt the need to offer?. Like another poster, I wouldn’t have wanted to put my coat on the floor.

Keeper1 Tue 17-Dec-19 11:01:30

Strangely the one place where I have often been offered a seat is on London Underground.

Ellianne Tue 17-Dec-19 11:01:46

Here's a tip I use on the tube in case anyone gets to the seat first. You make your way on and throw your bag at the available seat to grab it. No one dares sit on your shopping, it works for me!

Elijah Tue 17-Dec-19 11:10:49

I've just done a train from Somerset to Plymouth, I was lucky enough to meet several gentlemen of all ages who helped me with my luggage. One going the extra mile in taking me to my seat and even coming back when we reached Plymouth to carry my case off the train. I didn't know if I should be flattered or insulted, yes I walk with a stick by I'm only 61 and didn't feel I looked my age! My son said they must of thought I looked like I needed help!

dragonfly46 Tue 17-Dec-19 11:28:53

I agree about London Underground - I am often offered a seat. 8 years ago my son was very ill in hospital in London and I used to get the bus back to my daughters flat. It was the East End and I was always offered a seat. Maybe because I was looking so fraught and worried.

Leah50 Tue 17-Dec-19 11:31:26

I agree it's often older people who are rude. My beautiful kind-natured daughter who had waist-length dreadlocks was holding open a shop door for an elderly lady with a toddler in a buggy and a little boy. "Look at that lady's hair Nan" said the lad. "That's what you get from taking drugs" she spat!

MamaCaz Tue 17-Dec-19 11:39:48

I don't know about trains, because I can't remember the last time I used one, but I wonder if the fact that pensioners nowadays are travelling for free on buses makes young, full-fare-paying passengers much less willing to give up their seat?

jannxxx Tue 17-Dec-19 11:42:07

I think a sign of the times, most younger people just want a seat to watch the latest thing on the mobile device i don't think they even think there's someone I could give my seat to

craftyone Tue 17-Dec-19 11:44:03

not where I live, people are lovely here, kind, considerate and very pleasant. I have often seen people give up seats.

Blinko Tue 17-Dec-19 11:44:38

I often travel on the Metro (tram) at rush hour when everyone's on their way home from work in Birmingham. I am almost always offered a seat by a young person, usually from a BAME background. There are some lovely young folks around here.

Diggingdoris Tue 17-Dec-19 11:50:02

I was traveling home from Hampton court flower show and was offered a seat by a young lady. I'm a very active 68yr old but after a busy day I accepted gracefully. Then I had a dilemma, because several people many years older than me came on the train. My instinct was to give up my seat but I thought it might seem ungrateful to the the young lady who had given it to me, so I stayed put.

Marydoll Tue 17-Dec-19 12:17:55

I was on a bus yesterday and four of the disabled user seats were taken up by a woman and a toddler. She was on two and the toddler on two. She refused to make eye contact or move. The bus was crowded and eventually a woman reluctantly moved her bag to let me sit down.

A sad sign of the times.

Daddima Tue 17-Dec-19 12:26:57

The bag on the seat thing is guaranteed to infuriate me. I always used to ask them to move it, even if there were other free seats! Petty, I know.
A few years ago we went to Prague, and my travelling companions and I were often offered seats on trams by young people. Of course, it may have been coincidence.

Patticake123 Tue 17-Dec-19 12:27:54

The same happened to me on Sunday afternoon. As a regular visitor to NY I am always offered a seat on the subway. Maybe there is something we can learn from the USA!

Calendargirl Tue 17-Dec-19 12:38:57

I was offered a seat on the tube a few years ago when I was 60. We rarely go to London, I thanked him, but said I was fine. Then his wife insisted I take it. So I did. Certainly didn’t expect it as I thought no one offered seats anymore. Made me feel a bit old though.

Badenkate Tue 17-Dec-19 13:09:16

Off topic I know but Prague is great if you're over 70 because all public transport is free. Doesn't matter where you come from and you just need proof of age.

Oldandverygrey Tue 17-Dec-19 13:17:21

I don't expect to be given a seat because I am elderly (and look it), but I travel on the London Underground frequently and someone usually passes up their seat for me. In fact I don't think I have ever been left standing. Lots of kind folk about.

Franbern Tue 17-Dec-19 13:19:01

When using the London underground - even in the rush hour, always get people offering me a seat. I always thank them for it and take it. I do have grey hair and use a walking stick and find standing very painful and difficult. Try not to travel in the rush hour, but sometimes it is necessary. London buses, again always get offered a seat.
If I am travelling anywhere by train I book a seat in advance so have no problems. Would not take the chance of long distance travel without a booked seat.
Also, at train stations where there are still steps, - if I am travelling with a suitcase, just stand at bottom (or top), and can usually have someone offer to carry up or down my case for me. Usually, these are quite young men or woman, some even going the wrong way on the stairs to help me.
I do not think manners have changed much over the years, however, I do notice how often people will accept an offered seat without even bothering to say Thank you. Personally, I have always found older people less likely to be helpful and courteous than younger ones.

Hilarybee Tue 17-Dec-19 13:34:09

This is an article in The Week Magazine. ‘Millennials are developing their own rules of etiquette: 42% wouldn’t give up their seat on a bus or train to an elderly or pregnant person, 28% day its acceptable to jump a queue ...... However 34% think ghosting on social media is rude and 20% think it’s bad manners to share TV spoilers’. Not sure what to make of these statistics. Looks like the majority of millennials have good manners.

M0nica Tue 17-Dec-19 13:35:07

No, I do not think it a sign of the times. Back in 1971 when I was heavily pregnant no-one ever offered me s eat.

A year earlier, approximately, and unpregnant, I suddenly developed a very bad nose bleed on the tube. Blood was pouring all over me and my clothing. No one even offered me a hankie or tissue or did anything to help me. I stayed on the train until I reached Waterloo, went up the escaltor and found the First Aid room for myself.

I find I now often get offered a seat, despite having dark hair and eye brows to match. My face is not lined and I am not overweight. I am 76.

Jaxie Tue 17-Dec-19 13:36:54

A friend who is living in the Czech Republic tells me the levels of courtesy & general generosity to others is remarkably higher there than in Britain. I have had young men ( I'm a semi- disabled 76 - year -old) abuse me verbally in car parks, outside my house as I unloaded my car ( it's a single track road) push me to one side in super markets and show such disrespect to a Granny that I'm rendered speechless. I KNOW my own sons would never behave like this to the elderly, so what's gone wrong with our formerly considerate society?

Oopsminty Tue 17-Dec-19 13:41:18

When I was young I was always being offered a seat on public transport. Mainly from men, to be fair

Not been on public transport for many a year so no idea who I'd fare today.

Not quite as well, probably

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Dec-19 13:52:14

For those of you worried about my coat- I had a shopping bag with 2 calendars in it. That went down first. My bottom was quite comfy.
4allweknow, Greta and I are so alike!

Horatia Tue 17-Dec-19 13:53:50

If someone offered me a seat and I was struggling I might borrow it but I'd offer it back after a while. Often people who give up their seats, could do with a rest too. Because someone is polite and considerate, doesn't mean they are always extremely fit themselves. Its seems unfair for some to be standing endlessly while others are sitting happily, so perhaps sharing more is a better and fairer idea.