Gransnet forums

Chat

Too much time spent on the wrong things.

(45 Posts)
Teetime Fri 20-Dec-19 14:51:02

Many of us think about the passing year at this time and I have found myself thinking about the time I have wasted doing things I didn't want to do, in my case spending too much time on golf and not enough time having fun.
Anything you did with your time in 2019 that you plan not to do in 2020?

Pix5 Sat 21-Dec-19 16:36:15

I want to stop dwelling on the past.

Luckygirl Sat 21-Dec-19 16:41:18

Going in to work when I got no pleasure from it! How many decades did I do that for? - best not to think.

Harris27 Sat 21-Dec-19 16:49:53

I love your posts too much time working but unfortunately I need the money! Never mind it keeps me out of trouble!

NewHere Sat 21-Dec-19 17:35:47

Worrying, overthinking and spending too much time on my phone (social media)! I need to get back to basics in the New Decade x

okimherenow Sat 21-Dec-19 17:45:21

Spending too much time on twitter raging against Brexit

Granny23 Sat 21-Dec-19 18:04:04

Now that DH is well settled in his Care Home (so close by that I can visit every day) and my Broken Arm is almost healed, I intend to come out of hibernation, reclaim my car from DD and rebuild my new "living alone" life. I have boxes of stuff ready to go to the Charity Shop and the tip, a pile of books to take to the Community Library, who are desperate for more stock and, weather permitting, clean out the poly tunnel and get ready for spring planting. As soon as the physio gives me permission, I will get back to swimming at least once a week.

Or, maybe if the weather is bad, I'll treat myself to the odd duvet day [GRIN]

Tigertooth Sat 21-Dec-19 18:39:13

But isn’t golf your fun time?
Too much time by far here spent worrying about my health.

CrazyGranny60 Sat 21-Dec-19 18:42:22

Way too much time on Facebook! I intend to rectify that!

MawB Sat 21-Dec-19 18:44:00

I think I spend nearly half of each day these days, reading the paper online, catching up on GN or FB, reading whatever book I am currently on, checking emails and dare I admit, playing silly iPad games. Not aided by a dog snuggling up to me.
This will change!
There will be a new slimline Hattie, enjoying a morning walkie and who knows there may be a slimmer line me too.
On the days when I have to be up and out earlier I invariably feel better so it’s a no- brainer.

Tedber Sat 21-Dec-19 18:50:08

I think I waste too much time...sleeping! I still seem to need (and get) my 8/10 hours sleep! Apparently I have always needed my sleep and slept well since I entered the world! I was once told that when you get older you need less sleep....I am still waiting!

HettyMaud Sun 22-Dec-19 22:51:35

If only I could give up cooking. That is my dream!

BradfordLass72 Mon 23-Dec-19 07:14:24

No point in me looking at things I would not, or should not have done in 2019 and saying I'll change things in 2020.

I have virtually no choice.

I'm stuck here until someone takes me out (like many other Gransnetters).

The wonderful things I used to do, create and enjoy are now beyond me due to my eyesight.

That doesn't mean I have no pleasure in life, far from it...but it does mean that changing things isn't on the cards.

craftyone Mon 23-Dec-19 07:48:39

A busy four years have passed. Widowed, clearing, downsizing, coming to terms, selling my house, buying a house. Some things will change, more cycling but where are the safe roads? Out in my car to explore local market towns and sod worrying about where to park. Visiting more NT properties, looking for arboretums so I can get amongst trees. Get back on the steam train. I will join U3A but I am not twin set and pearls so will be selective, I need to start reading books again and to spin while listening to audible, used to love that

Yehbutnobut Mon 23-Dec-19 08:20:40

More to the point I am not going to feel guilty about taking life a bit easier these days. I still feel guilty if I lie in bed with a cup of tea and my kindle after 9.00am.

Why?

love0c Mon 23-Dec-19 08:37:14

Try to stop worrying. Easier said than done. I think I must have been a been worrier. Sounds selfish but I really need to think about 'me'. I seem to feel guilty if I do things just for me?

Teetime Mon 23-Dec-19 09:46:30

Thank you for all the comments here. I intend to spend more time walking ; golf as you may have heard is a waste of a good walk. While I'm admiring the wildlife on the course everyone else is lining up their next shot which I then hurry and fudge it! So for me its more time walking and being in the countryside. I will be playing golf but socially not in all those competitions. I hope you will all enjoy your free time in 2020.
Merry Christmas xx

Franbern Mon 23-Dec-19 09:54:36

Spent far too much time in 2019 in selling my house and flat hunting. Now that is all sorted - HURRAH - am looking forward to a much more boring, relaxed year.
Have joined local U3A - very active one, intend to go to many of their groups - have already started with the U3A Drama group and am looking forward to that.
Polictical discussion coffee morning each week, U3A chat coffee morning each week.
Trying hard to clear my mind of regrets that I will no longer be able claim to be a European - and do feel so much for the more vulnerable members in UK who are going to find their lives even harder now than in the past - but be grateful that my own family are all okay.
I do realise how fortunate I am and now I am happily settled in this lovely flat, my main intent is to continue to live to enjoy that and see my grand children all grow up.

BlueSky Mon 23-Dec-19 10:54:50

Since I've retired I haven't had to do anything I didn't want to, unlike the years in work, which were a necessary evil. If you like doing whatever then it's not time wasted (This includes time spent on GN!)

HettyMaud Tue 24-Dec-19 13:33:51

What I want to do MORE of is gardening, walking, spending time in nature, short breaks, reading, helping others. And less time in the kitchen or overthinking which gets me nowhere!