Gransnet forums

Chat

Light hearted post, Clocks and Watches

(87 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Dec-19 07:49:33

My DH thinks I have a clock obsession as I have 9 in a 4 bed home, I also wear a watch, I’m interested in to know if anyone else is like me,and would feel naked if going out without wearing a watch, I’ve noticed that very few youngsters wear watches anymore and rely on their phones for the time

jura2 Sun 22-Dec-19 16:31:22

Which band MamaCaz- do you remember - perhaps one my dad made too?

jura2 Sun 22-Dec-19 16:30:45

My first watch ever was made by my dad, especially for me so unique in the world. It was stolen from me by a **** who came to the house when DD1 was tiny baby to buy a second hand mini we had put in the local paper. When he rang, I said not to come until 7.30 as my OH wasn't there- he turned up 5 minutes later when I was bathing baby and I had taken watch off and put it on 3rd step up. I went to get towel for baby- he said he had changed his mind and went. Watch gone - I'd recognise it anywhere in the world, anytime. sad

MamaCaz Sun 22-Dec-19 16:29:36

Alishka
I remember mine, bought when I was about ten. It was Swiss, and was smuggled in (or so I was told) by a friend of my dad's who had been working over there.

Alishka Sun 22-Dec-19 16:28:48

Oh! and can I join the earring appreciation society please?smile

jura2 Sun 22-Dec-19 16:27:28

Was born in watch and clock making country - our part of Switzerland is where most watches and clocks are made.

Have several clocks, including a 17C Neuchâtel clock and many watches inherited. Always wear a watch- as my phone tends to remain on the second sink in the kitchen ;)

CBBL Sun 22-Dec-19 16:24:50

I have lots of clocks, too. There are three in the living Room - an antique long case clock made in 1701, and Skeleton Clock (a Wedding present) on top of the electric fire (which is rarely used - the fire, that is) and a carriage clock. I can't read any of them - entirely due to my eyesight (limited vision in one eye only, no sight in the other), so I wear a watch! There are three in the kitchen, two wall clocks (one of which is on the bookshelves) and the other is built in to the oven. One in each bedroom and none in the Hall or the Bathrooms. I'm still more likely to ask my hubby "What time is it?" than I am to look at either my watch or my phone - the latter tends to live in my handbag, which is invariably on the floor!

Alishka Sun 22-Dec-19 16:22:34

Can anyone remember their first watch ever?
I do! I must have been 8, and that year for christmas, my bro.sis and I all had watches for Christmas. They were all Timex watches and mine had a pink face and a picture of The Sleeping Beauty on it.I was absolutely thrilledgrin

PamGeo Sun 22-Dec-19 16:17:36

I love not having clocks running my life any more. I have a large clock in the kitchen and a clock in the bathroom, just so I don't lose track of time. My first husband had me paranoid about things not being done, being late, not being aware of his comings and goings if he was on shift-work etc so we had at least one clock in every room and he was always buying me watches. It was absolute bliss getting rid of them and running to my own schedule, I can guess the time fairly accurately as another poster said. I'm sometimes late but I try not to be by putting an alarm on my phone if it's important.
I too like to wear my earrings Mirren

Mirren Sun 22-Dec-19 15:31:21

I use my phone for telling the time so do not wear a watch anymore.
I do , however , feel totally naked if I am not wearing a pair of dangly earrings.

MamaCaz Sun 22-Dec-19 15:29:54

Five clocks here if I include the one on the cooker. That makes three downstairs and two upstairs. The upstairs ones are both in our bedroom, one either side of the bed, but every time I go to bed, I stick the one on DH's side in a drawer because it ticks and drives me absolutely crazy if I can't sleep!

I used to wear a watch all the time, and like a lot of you, felt naked without it. However, because I do a lot of gardening and am forever washing my hands (without removing it!), the strap would become damp and smelly in summer, so a couple of years ago, when yet another strap had given up the ghost, I decided to stop wearing it. It felt very strange to begin with, but I soon got used to it.

I have to admit to being lazy - if I want to know the time when I am out and about, I sometimes ask the nearest elderly-looking person (most likely to be wearing a watch) if they have the time, rather than rooting around in my bag for my mobile! blush

patchworksue Sun 22-Dec-19 15:24:58

I haven’t worn a watch since my youngest child started senior school in 1997... when I was no longer needed to collect him from school.... only clocks we have in house is clock on cooker and my husband has one his side of bed! If I need alarm I use my phone! .... I’m never late for anything!

sarahellenwhitney Sun 22-Dec-19 15:07:15

I have three clocks in my kitchen. One set at gmt, one showing time four thousand miles away where younger members of my family live ,The fourth one I use as an alarm for if I am busy and want to watch something on TV so set it as a reminder a certain programme is to start. I was recently questioned by a visitor, why three clocks,? none of their business, but found myself giving reasons.No words but the look I received ? 'must be her age'.

Disneyfan Sun 22-Dec-19 14:10:24

I haven't worn a watch for years as worked in the NHS with "bare below the elbows" rule. Having just retired, I'm hoping to have one for Christmas. Hints have been dropped.

AllTheLs Sun 22-Dec-19 13:33:20

Even though my 'internal' clock is pretty accurate, I would feel lost without my watch. As well as clocks. I got annoyed when hubby put a Christmas card in front of the living room clock, obscuring the time.

Have an obsession with calenders, too. Three new ones every year and I look forward to opening them all up on New Year's Day and hanging them on the walls. I get the prettiest I can find.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 22-Dec-19 13:25:30

I like to wear a watch and feel strange without one. I know they're considered old-fashioned but I don't mind.

Mollygo Sun 22-Dec-19 13:22:59

We have a clock in every room except the spare bedroom and the kitchen, although there the microwave has a digital clock on it. I always wore a watch but I love my Apple Watch - I have my grandchildren’s pictures on it or with a quick press, Micky or Minnie Mouse will say the time to me.

Dareyouto Sun 22-Dec-19 12:52:51

It’s the same for me as it was my father. Unless the watch was expensive it just wouldn’t work. I’ve found over the years that a rotary watch was perfect for me but my DD bought me a Fitbit which I find also works, so I’m good.
Before I retired I worked in a high tech environment and found at times just my mere presence could cause chaos with the equipment. The thing that still puzzles me to this day was trying to access various computer set ups for various functions and my passwords being rejected on all of them. After several hours work by an engineer it was discovered no matter how many times I changed my passwords the systems were only recognising consonants and not the vowels. Weird? Spooky?
They must have been secretly pleased when I retired!

Lindaylou55 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:52:11

Trendynannie6 I did think that 9 clocks was too many, till I counted how many we have in a 4 bedroom house. We have 10! 2 of which don't work, but one was a present and one is a grandmother clock my husband bought me on the birth of my 1st grandson, so they will both be here till I'm not, 3 others are in bedrooms and only switched on when there are family staying.

Theoddbird Sun 22-Dec-19 12:38:14

I don't possess a clock or a watch...

Beanie654321 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:18:55

TrendyNanny6 for the past 40 years I have been subject to time keeping, just retired from working as a nursing Sister, so for me I dont wear a watch. Its wonderful being able to go places and wander around, I stead of time keeping to ensure every thing gets done. I have clocks in the house and watches to wear, but for me the peaceful slow life is the best. Xx

4allweknow Sun 22-Dec-19 12:16:50

Had a beautiful gold with gold bracelet watch given for 21st as was the tradition in bygone days. After 51 years of wear used the value of gold to have engagement ring reset in platinum and gold as it had become very thin. Still have a reasonable watch I never wear but do wear day and night a cheap waterproof and luminous Timex watch. Only clock is the one on oven.

Diggingdoris Sun 22-Dec-19 12:08:14

It's a generation thing now isn't it? We have a clock in all downstairs rooms including hallway, and one in bedroom. I always wear a watch on left wrist and Fitbit on right wrist.
All my adult children have lovely watches but rely on their phones for timekeeping, as they seem to be glued to their hands permanently!

Jaqui1 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:00:54

Clock radio beside husbands side of the bed. He has it at an angle I cant see it. When I go to bed I turn it so I can see the time from my side of the bed. Despite many offers of buying him a watch, husband has always refused to wear one, he is anal about time though, and never late. He now relies on his phone to check the time but previously was always on time just guesstimating. He bought me a beautiful designer watch years ago but it no longer works and is far too expensive to repair sadly. I have bought myself three or four funky modern watches which I alternate wearing but apart from the oven and bedside clock radio, no clocks in the house. Fun post.

inishowen Sun 22-Dec-19 11:59:14

I've stopped wearing a watch. Sad really but I just look at my phone.

henetha Sun 22-Dec-19 11:54:56

Same here, TrendyNannie. I've worn a watch every day since my tenth birthday when I was given a pretty little silver one by my father.
Many watches have come and gone since then, but at present I have six. I feel naked without a watch, even though I have a smart phone which gives a more accurate time, I still love my watches.
And every roon in this house has at least one clock.
I've still got the original silver watch and wear it sometimes.