Gransnet forums

Chat

Do You Act Responsibly?

(33 Posts)
Rufus2 Mon 23-Dec-19 06:41:59

A recent article in my favourite UK mag. (The Oldie) tells me that "assaults by pensioners on people who have told them to act 'responsibly' have reached a peak.
Britain could be engulfed in a tsunami of ominous predictions.before the end of the 2030s, leading to a dangerous increase in levels of anxiety.
Experts at the Institute of Possible Outcomes estimate that 81% of today's primary school children will, in 20 years' time be employed in some form of foreboding activity.
Apparently. there are calls for the Govt. to appoint a Minister for Nonchalance to introduce measures to lower awareness. and limit the number of predictions issued.

Isn't that shocking!? What is the country coming to!?
Drink up and "drink responsibly"
OoRoo wine wine wine

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 14:39:53

Rufus I think you're a bit tchconfused. Too much Christmas tipple?

Jim from Vicar of Dibley famously said 'No, no, no, no, Yes!'

'Yeah but no but yeah' was a classic of Vicky Pollard of Little Britain fame (it was broadcast in Australia too). It has to be pronounced with a Bristol accent of course.

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 14:44:02

BradfordLass the Oldie Magazine is most definitely a British publication and I'm not sure Americans would 'get' the humour.

Rufus2 Fri 27-Dec-19 09:23:01

I think you're a bit tchconfused. Too much Christmas tipple?
Callistemon That's not fair! How did you know that? You can't smell my breath or see me staggering up the garden path and now all of GN knows! sad
But as you should know, too much is never enough! hmm
For a moment I thought I was to be the Prince (Charming?) you are looking for, but a lady of your immaculate taste wouldn't want to be seen dead walking out with a drunk, even though you do have Aussie connections
So, I"ll do a crash teetotal course in case you're waiting to pounce on Feb 14. that's another New Year resolution,to keep?
Btw. doesn't Mrs J. say "yes, yes, yes, yes, No.?
OoRoo "No more wine

Rufus2 Tue 31-Dec-19 01:45:44

I devour the 'Oldie' on the day it arrives
Jane Same here! It's nice to know we share the same good tastes! I even read the ads for "retirement accom." for the elderly hmm
Should I return (heaven forbid!) to the UK and decide to live in one of these very enticing places, who could I expect to find as my neighbours?
As I imagine their prices wouldn't attract "riff-raff," as Basil would say' would they all be retired public servants or school teachers on super superannuation packages?
Changed my mind; it's still a good read though! grin
Happy New Year.

Jane10 Tue 31-Dec-19 07:20:17

rufus did you see the advert for short breaks with 'Matron' - a strict disciplinarian?

Rufus2 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:21:20

Jane My latest copy is the December issue, but I can't find that ad. Perhaps you've got a Christmas special or even Jan '20; we're 3 to 4 weeks behind you!
Three other entries caught my eye whilst searching; page 13, "Wholesome and Tasty Meals delivered, for "just £1.99 a meal" How about that?
Page 12 "Cardigan-huggers" Useful pot-stirring stuff! grin
Page 108 Ad. re: "Beautiful, Busty, Mature Blonde" hmm "Oldie caters for all mature tastes, by the look of it!
Better find that "Matron ad. quick smart!
I'm trying to copy/paste other articles with my new printer, but it's taking time.

Rufus2 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:56:41

rufus did you see the advert for short breaks with 'Matron' - a strict disciplinarian?
Jane The "Oldie" Jan '20 arrived today so I visited "Matron's website! shock Not the sort of genteel retirement home suitable for retired teachers and clergy that I had in mind! Wow! Our indoor temp is around 30C at 11.00 p.m. thanks to Mother Nature, so we don't need a further boost, just yet!
But thanks! we'.ll keep it on file for a rainy day, whatever they are. hmm