Gransnet forums

Chat

Best and Worst Christmas presents this year

(105 Posts)
Vintagegal13 Wed 25-Dec-19 18:30:09

Just me being nosey - I was widowed 2 years ago and have no family, so spent the day on my own. I got dressed in my Sunday best, and cooked a proper dinner and had presents from friends which I was very grateful for, I loved them all. I just wondered if anyone got anything really random or wonderful surprises.

Stansgran Fri 27-Dec-19 20:09:07

Best present - amber and silver earrings from DH to match a brooch he had given me and worst - three miniature panettone past their sellby date!

seadragon Fri 27-Dec-19 20:27:01

Auntie Flo and Hetty Maud. I think they got it through their art gallery but found this 'silver' version on line: www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/522542886/steampunk-brooch-silver-bee-lightbulb Mine doesn't light up but I did try!! BTW - I had an Aunty Flo (Ellis) in Somerset - a great aunt really...

phoenix Fri 27-Dec-19 21:38:17

I think I may qualify in the sort of "insult to injury" category!

Apart from the knife sharpener tchconfused (see a previous post) Mr P bought me a selection of bath bombs.

Please hear in mind that I only bath occasionally, generally preferring to shower.

They were labelled with cryptic descriptions such as "Ocean 11" , and "Shea Delight", and even "Drama Queen" tchshock

I had obviously opened the box in the wrong way, as it was only when sorting out the cardboard for recycling that I found the sort of index thing, such as you might get in a box of chocolates. tchblush

So, earlier this evening I decided I would have a bath. This would also give me a chance to give my feet a bit of a soak, to allow the device he bought me for removing hard skin a fighting chance of working (yes, I know, I'm so spoilt)

Having chosen "The Big Easy" (lavender, apparently) I ran the bath and dropped it in.

It fizzed as expected, then proceeded to release lavender "petals" and goes knows what other botanical by products into the water.

I relaxed in the warm fragrant liquid, and sipped my glass of Cava (well, may as well go the whole hog, after all, you can't do that in the shower, can you?)

So got out, removed the bath plug and then spent 10 minutes cleaning the damn bath to remove all the sodding purple debris left clinging to the sides!

Margs Sat 28-Dec-19 11:34:30

Well don Vintagegal13 - you sound as if you had the Christmas YOU wanted and stuff all the expectations put out by the media.

I bet a lot of people on this thread wish they could have been you!

There's a lot of tosh surrounding the "Perfect Family Christmas" and it's no coincidence, surely, that lawyers report a hefty spike in divorce enquiries in January......