Gransnet forums

Chat

feeling judged by a supposed non judgemental organisation

(58 Posts)
pooohbear2811 Thu 26-Dec-19 20:19:23

Currently off work sick, now into month four. Mine is the only income in the house for a good reason, and roughly a third every month is made up of overtime.
So currently not bringing in enough to cover my rent. Signed onto Universal Credit and awaiting my first payment due middle January. Should have claim it a month or two before I did but was not expecting to be off this long.
So there is a place local to us that collects food from various supermarkets and sells it on cheap to people on a low income. It has made a massive difference to my expenditure and means we are eating more often and better than we would did they not exist.
They were offering hampers to people that used their services so I applied for one and got accepted and was sent a text message to say it was on its way, being delivered by local drivers. Never got here, so I messaged them the next day and was told they had forgotten me and I would get it that night, still nothing. So on Christmas Eve I phoned them and was told they would deliver it between 2 ans 6pm. still nothing. Messaged them and they told me the driver could not find my house...not difficult and they have my phone number.
So messaged them back again and just after 10pm the owner of the charitable organisation messaged me back and said as I had shared on social media that I had handed in items to the local food bank and clothes to a homeless hostel as well as some Christmas related items to the shop they run he did not think I needed their help.

Now a) why lie to me telling me I could get one then and keep fobbing me off it was being delivered?

b) why not read the posts fully? as he would have seen that the food bank collection is something I do every year and not a bit of it this year cost me a penny it was collected from kind friends and neighbours. the clothes were items that had been lying around my house for years unworn and the Christmas related items came from a charity shop where I knew the lady running it and she gave me them for free.

I can see his point in thinking I was well enough off not to need his help but why not have the decency message me that and tell me at the beginning I was not getting one and we could have discussed this and sorted it out.

It is hard enough to ask for charity in the first place without being made to feel like a liar and a cheat for claiming something to which he did not feel I deserved. He did then say if I still felt I wanted one I could go and pick one up as they were open till midnight but felt I had been insulted enough for one day and was not driving to pick one up at gone 11pm.

Thought these charitable organisations were suppose to be none judgemental?

sarahellenwhitney Fri 27-Dec-19 15:39:13

oldgimmer1
What channel showed M&W?Went to bed with tablet, no not the sort you swallow. Disappointing xmas tv

oldgimmer1 Fri 27-Dec-19 16:06:01

@sarahellen I think it was bbc2. About 8pm I think.

Wasn't worth watching imho. I think they've dated really badly.

PamelaJ1 Fri 27-Dec-19 16:31:41

I have a friend who gives his time to the CAB. They also give out food bank vouchers.
He says that they have to take the applicants word for needing the vouchers. They have no way of checking if someone has already had vouchers.
I’m sure that there are those that abuse the system, there usually is, but if that means that those who really is desperate gets help then the price has to be paid.

I don’t use social media, except for this site where I hope I am anonymous. I cannot understand why anyone would open up their lives to all and sundry.

vampirequeen Fri 27-Dec-19 16:44:28

That's disgraceful. You obviously fulfil the criteria for receiving help. How dare some jumped up, small minded person decide you are not worthy? So you gave things to charity. Are we to return to the days when we have to sell everything we were deemed to 'not need' before we can receive help?

Purplepoppies Fri 27-Dec-19 17:32:36

grannytotwins surely this family you describe have been referred to the food bank you volunteer for? I'm slightly uncomfortable that you are writing about them on here in a defamatory manner tbh. Nobody really knows what happens inside others houses, do they? I would hate to be judged in such a way.

Doodledog Fri 27-Dec-19 17:39:58

Me too, Purplepoppies. Some of the comments on this thread are making me very sad for the way this country is going. Even worse, the people making them obviously see themselves as charitable and righteous. Judge not, lest ye also be judged, and all that.

pooohbear2811 Fri 27-Dec-19 21:14:32

I have always worked and need the over time and am happy to do it. Never claimed benefits in over 25 yrs.
I have no interest to name and shame as that is unfair to the rest of the organisation.
@PamelaJ1 @grannygranby @oldglimmer1 @starbird @sarahellenwhitney @BlueBelle @harrigran @grannytotwins it was deiberatly shared on public social media so that the people I had collected it from could see I had passed it on as promised never expected a comeback from a charitable organisation for it, but the posts did state it was stuff I had collected.
@molly10 nothing exciting but some tins packets and bread in the freezer thanks
@quizqueen a car might seem like a luxury but living rural as I do it is an essential, today I had an MRI and was a 98 mile round trip to the hospital, got my expenses back but could not do it on public transport. My "local job centre" is only 12 miles away but 2 buses and 2 hours away the route the buses go and is dearer than the car. and when I am working start work at 8am on a Sunday with the first bus leaving here at 9am and is 2 buses away. As for my internet I am only 12 months into an 18 month contract and also have to have internet to communicate with the job centre.
@oldglimmer1 not seen a work coach yet apart from my original appointment
Thank you all for your comments.