Gransnet forums

Chat

New Year Resolutions

(63 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 31-Dec-19 11:00:40

Top of the list;
^ Not to refer to Scotch people as "Scotch" any more!^ wink

I gave up "Scotch Whiskey" 70 years ago, made me really sick. and that's one promise I've held to ever since! Horrible stuff! grin

Witzend Wed 01-Jan-20 10:49:59

Sole resolution is to spend some time each day as far as poss - even if it’s only 15 minutes - at my lately sadly neglected piano.

This time last year I had resolved to work at it enough to attempt the grade 5 exam by the end of the year, but life, Gdcs, general busy-ness, Stuff - and yes, I will admit to a certain amount of laziness - meant I was never going to be ready to do more than just possibly scrape a pass.

I have ditched the exam goal, not sure it’s realistic any more - the sheer number of scales! - but will endeavour to be able to play a few pieces I love at least passably by the end of the year.

SillyNanny321 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:51:53

None as at 75 years old I am giving up trying to change! Never managed it yet so going to stop worrying now!

Nanny41 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:24:44

I dont make New Year resolutions because I know I would never keep them.I am too old to start now.
A Happy New Year to all Gransnetters.

Neilspurgeon0 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:42:08

Happy new year everyone

Resolution. I rather let my practice slip at the end of last year so: To get back onto my pipes starting today (I practiced on the practice chanter first thing this morning) and I am off out to the woods to sound out a strong pibroch after lunch and have invited a few fellow pipers to join me as I need to be sharp for Burns Night, and even if no one turns up I can feel dutiful.

teabagwoman Wed 01-Jan-20 11:44:46

2 resolutions for me. To get out more and not let my deafness isolate me and to finally get my sitting room redecorated.

Rufus2 Wed 01-Jan-20 12:20:50

the sheer number of scales
Witzend Happy New Year! How much practice time do these Boogie Woogie pianists put in to get to be so nimble? I'm recording a lot on to my PC from YouTube for burning to CD/DVD; watching their fingers and the keys is mind boggling. A certain Michael Alf (Trio) playing "The Sheik of Araby" is perfect. Only wish I'd studied the piano instead of Latin at school. sad
Cheers

gillyknits Wed 01-Jan-20 12:24:59

Mine is to get out and walk more. Might only last until the first grey, rainy day though!

Rufus2 Wed 01-Jan-20 12:43:36

But Rufus can I have one final gripe?
Grammaretto Happy New Year! Gripe away! grin
I welcome them all so long as they don't get nasty; can be the source of lively debate; keeping the grey cells churning. grin
Now where was I? Oh yes! With or without the "e" I've managed to steer clear of them for 72 years and found more palatable medications! grin
Slainte!

Matelda Wed 01-Jan-20 12:51:01

An easy one! Last year at this time I was feeling very low. I had a good cry, stepped on the scales and realised I’d been delusional about my weight. So I ordered the Jane Plan, lost 40 pounds and as a new slimmer, fitter me took three wonderful trips. Life begins at 70!
Now I have been diagnosed with a big health problem and face daunting surgery in a couple of weeks, followed by who-knows-what treatment. I shan’t waste a moment! I carry on making realistic plans and living life to the full - every minute of it. Life is too short for vague future aspirations.

Rufus2 Wed 01-Jan-20 12:53:48

I am off out to the woods to sound out a strong pibroch after lunch
Neil Is the "strong pibroch", whatever that is, a result of the pipes or the lunch? hmm
Happy Piping!

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 12:56:41

My NY resolution is to try and avoid arguments and conflict wherever possible. Instead, when presented with an argument that I really don't want to get into, I'm going to channel Mrs Brown and say "That's nice"! wink

4allweknow Wed 01-Jan-20 13:09:00

Rufus people or in Scotland are Scotch. It's only relatively recently that they are referred to as being a Scot. So you are doing no wrong, in fact with Scotland being full of traditions I am amazed there isn't a resurgence to stop using Scot and insist on Scotch as in whisky. Never see Scot whisky!

SaraC Wed 01-Jan-20 13:24:04

Two resolutions here -
1. Become a ‘pescatarian’ - not ready to become fully vegetarian yet...
2. Keep a daily gratitude diary - it’s too easy to overlook the good things, or take them for granted.

GardenerGran Wed 01-Jan-20 13:51:18

Keeping fingers crossed for your folk in Oz PamelaJ1 it’s a terrible situation there. My NY resolution as always is to live in the moment, I’m always thinking and planning ahead, looking for the next job to do. I will try to do less and relax more buts it’s always a battle!

Rufus2 Wed 01-Jan-20 14:02:14

So you are doing no wrong
4allweknow Many thanks for that! You've made my day (Thursday! hmm); now I feel totally vindicated, but what about my Resolution?
I need another one quickly confused

Rufus2 Wed 01-Jan-20 14:24:45

They have a house near Sussex Inlet and are standing by with hoses
It's all absolutely .heartbreaking! I looked up the fire news for Sussex Inlet and I guess you can do the same from where you are, but hoses seem so puny against those monster fires! Terrible! Glad to say we are OK so far here in Melbourne, but I don't want tempt fate!
Btw. I think you are guilty of plagiarism with your gripe about women at the supermarket! hmm Didn't you see the contribution by Matthew Norman of The Oldie mag. not long ago, or is it pure coincidence?
"Women are best at everything, except......" It's right here in front of me, I read it constantly and very clever it is, too! grin

SirChenjin Wed 01-Jan-20 15:30:10

Rufus people or in Scotland are Scotch

No, we’re really not and haven’t been referred to as such for a couple of centuries now. It’s considered rather rude, so please refer to us as Scottish or Scots (without any reference to PC nonsense or similar). Scotch refers to an item or product of Scottish origin. Wikipedia explains it well en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_(adjective)

CBBL Wed 01-Jan-20 16:40:57

I'm going to try and save more. This is mostly because I worry about money matters. I know I would feel better if I had more of a "financial cushion".

Hotmama Wed 01-Jan-20 16:54:48

To keep breathing and try to like myself more.

Noname Wed 01-Jan-20 18:23:12

Can’t do Dry January as we are off on an AI holiday in 11 days and while we don’t drink during the day we do enjoy a cocktail before dinner! ??‍♀️

love0c Wed 01-Jan-20 18:35:59

Chewbacca. That's what I thought too! Thought it was a brilliant saying!!! ha ha. Not sure I can do it though. I think you could say it if you actually didn't give a damn. That can be my New Year's resolution 'to not give a damn'. Or 'careless'.

HettyMaud Wed 01-Jan-20 19:54:38

Mine is a selfish one. To think more about myself instead of constantly pandering to others who I’m not sure always appreciate me.

SunnySusie Wed 01-Jan-20 20:07:21

New Years Resolution 2019, to redecorate the living room.

New Years Resolution 2020, to redecorate the living room.

Got up early today, cleared the entire room so the whole house is now in chaos and there is nowhere to sit. Perhaps it will now happen!

love0c Wed 01-Jan-20 20:08:05

HettyMaud not selfish at all! I will join you in that one! smile

MissAdventure Wed 01-Jan-20 20:14:03

To get plainer and much fatter.
From what I've seen of myself today I've already made a good start.