Gransnet forums

Chat

New Year Resolutions

(63 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 31-Dec-19 11:00:40

Top of the list;
^ Not to refer to Scotch people as "Scotch" any more!^ wink

I gave up "Scotch Whiskey" 70 years ago, made me really sick. and that's one promise I've held to ever since! Horrible stuff! grin

Wheniwasyourage Wed 01-Jan-20 20:36:08

MissAdventure grin

To put things away when I've finished with them, not 3 days later!

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 21:01:18

gringrin As always MissA!

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 21:06:21

As well as channeling Mrs Brown and her "that's nice" mantra; I'm determinded that, this year, I will finish every knitting, sewing and quilting project that is "nearly done" but has lain unfinished for weeks/months/years. I will. I will. I will.

Rufus2 Thu 02-Jan-20 08:41:04

people or in Scotland are Scotch
4allweknow Thanks again, but thanks to SirChenjin I now have two resolutions;

1. not to call Scotch people "Scotch" anymore.
2. not to call Scotch people "Scots" anymore.

Takes the coward's way out, defeated by Scotch logic. confused

please refer to us as Scottish or Scots
SirChenjin Please see above! hmm
Sainte

rosecarmel Thu 02-Jan-20 10:26:52

I'm considering canceling Amazon Prime in an effort to shop locally instead and do business with other online companies- My experience with Amazon this past year has been an eye opener .. I had to make so many returns due to poor quality items- One item was a night light for my grandson- The listing description indicated that it was made in the US and was intended for children yet the instruction booklet revealed that it was made in China and also had a warning that it isn't a toy and not intended for children- It didn't warn that the light was like a laser and so bright that I had to wait 10 minutes for my eye to recover after looking at it- Many other items were returned due to poor quality- There's other issues too with their tablets being too Amazon specific-

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 02-Jan-20 11:00:24

@Rufus2 a pibroch is the Gaelic for a rousing tune - so to sound out something lively, in my case a pairing of “Auld Lang Syne” and “Amazing Grace” in a sort of medley

SirChenjin Thu 02-Jan-20 11:17:20

It’s Sláinte - but I appreciate the sentiment Rufus, thank you! grin

TrendyNannie6 Thu 02-Jan-20 12:23:24

Trying to get my health back on track as have few autoimmune diseases so number one is watching what I eat, more exercise,

BlueSky Thu 02-Jan-20 12:41:18

Will try to live for today which I find hard to do, I much rather worry about tomorrow for myself and all my loved ones, catastrophizing as I go along...confused

Rufus2 Thu 02-Jan-20 13:18:05

It’s Sláinte - but I appreciate the sentiment Rufus, thank you! grin
No! thank you Sir! Slainte or Sainte! That's an "ell" of a difference grin
Resolution 3; I must not dabble in the Celtic language when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about! confused
Think I'll stick with OoRoo

SirChenjin Thu 02-Jan-20 13:43:53

Lol OoRoo grin It’s pronounced ‘’slan geh’ (or slainte mhath - slan geh vah if you’re using the full toast) so now you can impress your friends down under with your knowledge of all things Celtic grin

Rufus2 Thu 02-Jan-20 14:25:31

a pibroch is the Gaelic for a rousing tune......in a sort of medley
Neil thanks for that! They say you can learn something new every day! wink I can't imagine a melodious medley on pipes, but there again, I can't imagine regarding didgeridoos although some people rave about them. I must have a tin ear! grin
In that selfie you posted, I guess you were simply posing and not playing the pipes because that lady to your right was not clutching her ears, nor were you wearing ear muffs which would be mandated by OH&S inspectors here! hmm
Can bagpipes be played on either hand i.e. left or right handed as with golf clubs?
OoRoo