Gransnet forums

Chat

Who is staying up too see in the new year?

(66 Posts)
Xxjanexx Tue 31-Dec-19 15:26:04

Ok who is staying up too see in the new year?
If you are what have you planned?

conor Tue 31-Dec-19 17:10:25

Oh yes, always stay up, as if I expect something magical to happen at midnight!! Will definitely have a glass of something sparkly and watch the fireworks on TV and outside. A Happy New Year to everyone xxxx?

NanKate Tue 31-Dec-19 17:27:57

Barcrdi and coke in hand, just eaten asparagus as a starter, beef stroganoff cooking away, indulgent pudding. We will watch the scary Susan Hill film then I will head for bed and DH as usual will stay up and watch the fireworks from the window. Suits me a treat.

Happy New Year folks. ?

MerylStreep Tue 31-Dec-19 17:49:26

Just having a rest after preparing food/drink and music for about 20 who will arrive at 8. I say 20 but there might be more as 3 single men are celebrating in a pub as we speak so they might bring along a couple of waifs and strays ?

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Dec-19 17:51:05

We certainly are. Out to celebrate with six good friends at the home of two of them. I can guarantee great food, free flowing fizz and wine, a very competitive quiz, lots of chat and laughs, a liqueur or two at midnight. The taxi's booked for 1, but from past experience probably won't turn up till an hour or so later. Once home, if we're still up for it, we'll watch the London fireworks, which I've set to record.

Happy New Year when it comes, everyone! wine

Curlywhirly Tue 31-Dec-19 18:29:46

Most definitely! We are in Madeira with 4 friends at the moment and after the Gala Dinner in our hotel, we will all make our way onto the roof-top terrace of the hotel and watch the midnight display of fireworks, which apparently is spectacular. Wishing all on GN a Happy and Prosperous New Year. Xxx

ginny Tue 31-Dec-19 18:32:48

No plans this year so probably won’t stay up.

EllaKeat Tue 31-Dec-19 18:45:03

I haven't stayed up for years, but this is my year of lasts, so I am determined to make it.

Well, till at least 11 o'clock grin

mumofmadboys Tue 31-Dec-19 19:11:26

I planned to stay up but I'm feeling tired already at 7.10pm.!!

BBbevan Tue 31-Dec-19 20:12:18

Not me. We have been out all day. So tired now.

MawB Tue 31-Dec-19 20:15:56

No I’d like to sleep through. But I suspect I will be woken by fireworks and a distraught dog.
And then I will be sad remembering......
But if I can sleep through all will be fine.

BlueSky Tue 31-Dec-19 20:23:22

We will just the two of us. TV and a bottle of bubbles at 12 o'clock to see in the new year. I'll probably nap in front of the TV though! grin

merlotgran Tue 31-Dec-19 22:07:47

I've been messaging all the family wishing them the usual with a special message to our DGDs who are at uni in London hoping they have a great time tonight but with an added 'Granny message' reminding them to 'stay safe.'

Where are they?? Well, I don't need to worry about them partying in Trafalgar Square because they're curled up on DGD2's bed, watching films and eating party food from Iceland. grin They're enjoying their crazy night in and will toast us at midnight with Sourz (eh?)

Who was it said youth is wasted on the young?? grin

annep1 Tue 31-Dec-19 22:14:50

No. In bed. Going to read my book Minette Walters - The Last Hours, set in the time of the Black Death. Hopefully be asleep long before midnight.

GagaJo Tue 31-Dec-19 22:19:03

Depends. I have my grandson and he's in he middle of sleep regression. It's a lottery!

Coolgran65 Tue 31-Dec-19 22:22:46

Staying up, just the two of us. Will watch some episodes of our current series on Netflix. Kiss in the New Year. And on to bed. Toddler arriving at 7am for daycare.

NfkDumpling Tue 31-Dec-19 22:23:21

Nope. I’m off to bed shortly, but I expect to be woken by revellers at midnight as happens every year and I’ll then get up for ten minutes to watch other people’s fireworks.

Evie64 Tue 31-Dec-19 22:33:31

I always stay up. Even when I am really tired. I thought it was against the law to go to bed before midnight? grin DH however is already comatose on the other couch. Spent a lovely early evening with my 2 daughters and my Granddaughter whose birthday is today, 15! We took her to have her ears pierced and then onto Cafe Rouge for a late lunch. Thank God she didn't want a tattoo shock. Happy 2020 to all you out there, and thanks for brightening up my 2019 xxxx

inkycog Tue 31-Dec-19 22:40:12

Revellers is a funny word . Are they like Levellers.

grannysyb Tue 31-Dec-19 23:09:27

Wasnt going to but DH thought as we were still up we might as stay up! There are some bubbles in the fridge, so will have a glass and collapse at about 5 past 12! A happy new year to all.

Ninarosa Tue 31-Dec-19 23:15:53

I've just had a rummage through my drawers and shall be wearing them on my head at the stroke of twelve. Because I can.((. hic ))

Mapleleaf Tue 31-Dec-19 23:24:35

Yes.

Eloethan Tue 31-Dec-19 23:38:46

I'm usually up at 12 or later anyway but if it were just me I'd be doing a code word with the TV on in the background or watching a film. I'm not particularly interested in New Year celebrations on the telly. Is there anything more dispiriting than watching a load of people having fun, singing and dancing, when you're not?

As it is, my Mum (99) is always keen to stay up to 12 until Big Ben sounds and the fireworks are televised (though I'm not sure why she is so keen because she can hardly see). I've just tried to watch Billy Elliott with Mum talking through it (though she has been very quiet the rest of the day) and ploughing through far too many of the box of Celebrations.

As is customary, my husband is sitting in the back room watching Indian films.

It's not exactly living the dream but I tell myself that it's a lot better than some people are experiencing. I'm hoping there will be local fireworks to be seen at 12 - that will really seem like a New |Year celebration to Mum.

TerriBull Tue 31-Dec-19 23:44:08

I've got my grandchildren staying the night finally got them to go to sleep. I'll see the new year in then I'm off to my bed. Happy New Year fellow GNs

rubysong Tue 31-Dec-19 23:46:39

Yes, Twiglets and sherry.
Happy New Year everyone.

Lucylastic Tue 31-Dec-19 23:54:11

Sitting outside on the frosty cold balcony of our chum's house in Fife, drinking rum and cocoa.
Got a perfect view across the Firth of Forth to Edinburgh and the fabulous Castle fireworks which start at midnight.
A Guid New Year to you and yours! Wishing you peace, health and happiness in 2020.
Slainté!