Gransnet forums

Chat

Fav ice cream from yester year

(40 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 01-Jan-20 18:11:51

Does anyone remember a ice cream lolly on a sick banana flavoured with a thick block of toffee inside, it would have been in the mid sixties, I am trying to think what it was called but I know it was before Lord Toffingham lolly

MissAdventure Mon 06-Jan-20 16:34:30

They're still there, along the seafront. smile

watermeadow Mon 06-Jan-20 17:21:36

My poor children grew up with rubbish like Wall’s and Nestle’s, which tasted like margarine and was no doubt made from the same ingredients, mostly fish oil plus loads of artificial colours and flavours and preservatives.
Hoorah for all the good ice cream available now!

jenpax Thu 09-Jan-20 18:18:25

I agree watermeadow I remember having my first taste of Italian ice cream on holiday in Venice aged 11 it was pistachio which is still my favourite flavour! Now days we can easily get excellent quality ice creams everywhere and so many lovely flavours whereas as a child growing up on the Sussex coast apart from the excellent Mr Whippy! I was confined to raspberry ripple or Neapolitan both of which tasted nothing like “real” ice cream!

Hetty58 Thu 09-Jan-20 18:20:56

I do remember the toffee banana lolly. It tasted fantastic. My favourite has to be rum and raisin.

Hetty58 Thu 09-Jan-20 18:31:31

Found it!

nonnasusie Thu 09-Jan-20 18:45:11

I remember the Ice cream shop in Henley in Arden too! Strawberry was my favourite as well!!

LullyDully Thu 09-Jan-20 20:48:15

Raspberry Ripple was nice.

MawB Thu 09-Jan-20 22:03:20

As a child my first experience of flavoured ice cream was in Duisburg in Germany where an Italian ice cream shop called Panziera’s (I think, I was no more than 5!) sold flavours I had never dreamed of - chocolate, strawberry, pistachio, lemon, apricot, black currant and many more.
Our local (also Italian) ice cream shop called Brugnoni’s sold the most amazing vanilla, but nobody on our wee town had heard of flavours until shops started selling bricks of Neapolitan (?) -pink, white, green which Mum wrapped in a sheet of newspaper and kept in the ice box of our small fridge.
Happy memories!

Esther1 Fri 10-Jan-20 17:42:42

Back in the sixties my granny used to make ice cream using some sort of bought packet mix. Anyone know what this may have been? All I know is that it was absolutely delicious - albeit probably full of chemicals being from a packet.

grannyticktock Fri 10-Jan-20 18:09:24

Thre icecream memories:
1. The first time I can remember having a fancy icecream was when I was about four; it was a choc ice with mint flavoured green icecream. I had never had an icecream with so many attributes, and was very impressed.
2. Walls' Raspberry Ripple, as mentioned by Phoenix, as a Sunday lunch treat.
3. Strawberry Mivvis, which were also much nicer when they first came out in the late 1950s than they are now. At 6d, I couldn't afford them often, but they were a summer treat if I had pocket money to spare. I had one the day I heard I had passed the 11+.

Nannytopsy Fri 10-Jan-20 18:31:45

Banana flavoured milk lollies! In Cardiff there was a shop that made Prohibition special ice cream - Cointreau flavoured!!

TrendyNannie6 Fri 10-Jan-20 18:41:27

Yes that’s it Hetty58 what I would give for one of those this min

EllanVannin Fri 10-Jan-20 21:52:57

Tutti frutti ice cream. Bits of cherry and angelica. Lovely.

bikergran Sat 11-Jan-20 13:22:20

When boyfriend and I went to pictures, we would call in toffee shop where they made MILK VIM ice lollies in a square tub.

Yes it was vimto and milk...blaaaaaaaaaa couldn't even think of having one now.

Also the "proper" rasberry sauce they put on your ice cream cone at the ice cream van.