Gransnet forums

Chat

First time Granny, baby due this weekend

(37 Posts)
Allamanda Fri 03-Jan-20 09:00:57

It’s happening soon, today or this weekend my first grandchild will be born in Hospital. A week earlier than predicted. Suddenly thinking - Am I ready? My daughter is very fortunate to have a lot of support ready and mother-in law next door to her home. My daughter is well prepared with everything at home. Any suggestions as to what I should do as soon as invited to see baby and Mum in Hospital? Maybe things I haven’t thought of? Definitely tissues as already very emotional. smile

vinasol Sat 04-Jan-20 10:37:11

My mum came round in the morning's to let me have a bath. She'd look after the baby and do a quick wash and tidy up, then she'd be off home again. It was invaluable.

GrannyLaine Sat 04-Jan-20 10:43:37

vinasol that is just the perfect form of support.

notanan2 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:54:51

Don't bring alcohol. Not for bf nursing mums. A pretty nightie with front opening? A nursing pillow?

See. A bottle of champagne was one of my favorite presents with my first. To me it said "I still see you as an adult/person, not just "the mum", and you will get back to normal soon"
But it would upset someone else.

Thats why these sorts of threads have limited use. As its a "play to your audience" situation.

trisher Sat 04-Jan-20 11:22:13

This reminds me of my mum who was told by her doctor when she was breastfeeding to drink Guiness, because it would help her milk. It's a family joke that that's why my brother likes it now. (Sorry I know it's not about OP).

janeainsworth Sat 04-Jan-20 12:42:38

I think it was standard NCT advice in the 70’s Trisher & not just your Mum’s generation.

I drank Guinness mixed with milk while breastfeeding. An easy way of getting protein & B vitamins if you were too busy to even make a sandwich for lunch.

notanan2 Sat 04-Jan-20 12:45:53

Alcohol still isnt banned for the duration of breastfeeding either

notanan2 Sat 04-Jan-20 12:47:35

Guiness actually has very very little iron or vit B in it. It does have a little but not enough to count as a suppliment: it was just brilliant marketing and back then you could call things tonics even if they didnt have significant amounts in them

GrannyLaine Sun 05-Jan-20 19:33:16

Allamanda do come back and tell us about the new arrival!

Jane10 Sun 05-Jan-20 21:31:26

Oh I just checked back to see if that baby had arrived yet! Fingers crossed all is well and the OP is happily involved in baby related family comings and goings.

NotSpaghetti Sun 05-Jan-20 23:49:42

If they are coming home quickly just take something cold in a cool bag as hospitals are far too hot.
Bring away anything they don't need as its hard to manage in nearly no space.

Look after the dad a bit as they invariably are "left out" and be sure to see the new mum as an adult in her own right. Tell the new parents how well they are doing as they need to believe they can do this.

Be quietly and gently supportive of their decisions. You will be fine.

Congratulations all of you.

GrandmainOz Mon 06-Jan-20 04:25:39

How exciting. It's such a special time. My only advice is follow the new mum's lead. My DDs and DIL were all different after having their babies. One needed frequent company. One appreciated more practical things, a lasagne provided, the laundry pegged out etc and the third really wanted her space but loved being taken out for coffee and cake every couple of days to get out of the house.
The only thing I did the same for all three was buy a giftbag of pretty - but very comfortable - nighties, dressing gown and slippers in favourite colours with some natural, sensitive skin moisturisers and body wash etc.
I gave them shortly pre birth so they could be used at hospital or at home as desired and they all seemed pleased. I popped some big cotton granny knickers in too as I remembered from my first experience not being adequately prepared in the undies department. I don't think any of them took offence!!