Gransnet forums

Chat

Unbelievable description

(112 Posts)
annsixty Fri 03-Jan-20 13:29:38

I have just had an email from M&S advertising a vegan leather tote bag.
On reading the description it is 100% polyurethane.
Why oh why cast in on the trend for veganism, it surely fools no-one.

Hithere Mon 06-Jan-20 21:42:59

No, I am very unhappy. And yes, it is a dilemma I had to make peace with.
They are indoor cats so no chance of hunting.

But what are my options? My cats have been with me for 10+ years. They are my family and I love them.

Do I feed them a plant diet and get them sick? That would be very selfish of me
Do I rehome them?

I used leather items for many years due to the lack of choices.
Now, we have shoes, bags, clothing, etc and I am thrilled.

I am excited to see what the future brings

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 21:47:57

Janipat, we (and dogs) are omnivores, so there's a choice. My dog is fed on Fish4dogs (salmon, potato and pea, no cereal).

My cat, being a carnivore (with no choice) is fed raw wild poultry/birds (pigeon, pheasant, grouse) from the local veg/cereal farm. They are free of cost, and killed anyway to protect the crops. I have no problem with that.

gmarie Mon 06-Jan-20 21:59:31

Janipat is it necessary to press your point? Surely at our age we realize that virtually nothing is cut and dry with regard to our choices and beliefs when life rarely serves up situations that are like math problems to be solved neatly with no loose ends. We can only do the best we can and make conscious choices that cause the least harm and suffering in any given situation.

janipat Mon 06-Jan-20 22:09:24

Hithere thanks for your honesty, and I can sympathise with your difficult choice. I'm not a fan of indoor cats, thinking it is an unnatural way of life for them, but that's another issue, and in truth we had an indoor cat when I was growing up. Of course you just want what's best for your pets.

gmarie You haven't questioned anyone else "pressing their point". I make 2 posts and you jump on me??????

gmarie Mon 06-Jan-20 22:46:56

Sorry, janipat . Didn't mean to single you out. I just responded to the latest back and forth. It's frustrating, sometimes, when you're in the minority on an issue and feel like you're being called upon to justify your choices. This just sounded a little harsh:

So are you saying you're happy for animals to be farmed and slaughtered to feed your cats Hithere?

Pretty sure that, given what Hithere has said in her posts, she's not "happy" for animals to be slaughtered.

Hithere Mon 06-Jan-20 23:35:12

Being called harsh myself, I don't mind her asking.
I got it as a direct question, not harsh

gmarie Mon 06-Jan-20 23:54:12

Noted.

Alexa Tue 07-Jan-20 12:50:16

gmarie, good posts!

Keeper1 Tue 07-Jan-20 13:43:41

I guess if we were all to become Vegan then all or most of the cattle, sheep, goats etc would die out?

Hithere Tue 07-Jan-20 13:57:09

Keeper1
Probably yes, nature would take over and regulate the numbers.
I don't see it as a bad thing.

gmarie Tue 07-Jan-20 20:33:52

Thanks, Alexa flowers