Gransnet forums

Chat

I Blame MawB ( not my fault at all!)

(86 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 08-Jan-20 20:15:51

After reading the buying new boots thread started by MawB,
It reminded me that she had introduced me to the buying Skechers habit ? a couple of years ago.I looked at Amazon and found yet another pair of Go Walks to buy....a bargain!
Finger hovered over ‘buy now’ ( resistance is futile) .....they will arrive in a few days.
Now, what else can I save money on?

MawB Thu 09-Jan-20 17:43:42

Also when I joined a couple of years ago she was running a very active thread on "knickers"
confusedconfused Not me I think Rufus, a couple of years ago was when my husband died and I don’t think “knickers” were on my mind.
However, if you can find a link I am happy to stand corrected.

JenniferEccles Thu 09-Jan-20 19:22:10

Sorry MawB I don’t think I explained it properly.

There were no scarves there when I went and they said they only had the one and had recently sold it.

Yes a three figure price tag for a scarf made me gulp !!

gmarie Thu 09-Jan-20 19:59:55

Thanks, annep1. They match the Tardis p.j. bottoms my son bought for me! As soon as I come through the front door, the slippers and lounge pants go on and the bra comes off. All about comfort these days. grin

Grammaretto Thu 09-Jan-20 20:00:57

I bought boots in the sale today. I must have picked up Maw's thoughts subliminally.

I went shopping for knitting wool but that shop was closed so as my feet were wet I had to check out the shoe shop sale.
I haven't taken my boots off yet. They are doubling as slippers. It is cccold here Brrr.

Says in the Blurb:
Designed for frozen winters and fierce women. This pull-on boot takes on cold conditions with a super-comfortable, low-bulk insulation and a waterproof lining.
They are Merrell and were half price. Not glamorous but who cares!

gmarie Thu 09-Jan-20 20:14:08

Ooooo, those look comfortable, Grammaretto. If I wore leather, I'd grab a pair in a split second!

Marydoll Thu 09-Jan-20 20:21:28

Grammaretto, the power of MawB. ?
Maw, failing shops should employ you to lift them out of the doldrums!

Gabriella used to have that effect on me. ?

MawB Thu 09-Jan-20 20:23:44

grammaretto those look absolutely lovely! Unusual, stylish and warm too! Win-win smile

Grammaretto Thu 09-Jan-20 21:14:46

They are also easy to get on and off - another factor now that I'm at the how do I reach my toes? stage

lemongrove Thu 09-Jan-20 21:33:10

A likely story Grammar ! ?
Closed wool shops, wet feet etc. We all know you headed straight for that shoe shop like a bee for clover.
Where are you btw ...the Klondike?

merlotgran Fri 10-Jan-20 00:55:48

I've solved the on and off problem. We had our loo slightly raised on a plinth to aid DH's mobility and guess what? It's the perfect height for sitting on - lid down, natch! and putting on or pulling off boots. grin

Nana3 Fri 10-Jan-20 01:11:56

I bought myself a handbag on my birthday after a gn poster bought herself one for her birthday. It was annsixty I think, sorry ann if it wasn't you. It was a long time ago and I'm still using it .

Rufus2 Fri 10-Jan-20 12:29:17

However, if you can find a link I am happy to stand corrected
Maw Challenge accepted! I'm sure it was you under your MawBroon alias and I'll never forget all the (verbal) identikit info. that filled pages. Talk about 50 shades of pink! grin
OoRoo

Rufus2 Fri 10-Jan-20 13:10:39

^ MawBroon Sun 29-Apr-18 15:36:45^
We seem to have silenced Rufus2 or was it my usual curse of killing a thread stone dead
Maw That search was easy! We're both right! Annie was OP, but you had a lot to say; the thread seems to have improved with age, like me and possibly you? smile
OoRoo

MawB Fri 10-Jan-20 13:21:02

Knew I hadn’t started a thread on undercrackers.
Care to provide a link Rufus ?

MawB Fri 10-Jan-20 16:17:22

I think you need a reality check Rufus2
I too have found the thread to which I believe I contributed all of 6 posts, none of which were anything to do with Knickers or autobiographical information - not my own. If you look again I believe I was trying to correct your misapprehensions, aka getting the wrong end of the stick, so not exactly a lot to say?
So to refer to “my” thread is a bit wide of the mark, but hey, if it makes you happy to have another pop at me, why should it bother, or even surprise me?

MamaCaz Fri 10-Jan-20 18:13:49

Dear Maw.

If you are not already into knitting or crochet, please could you take them up, and then would you start a thread on beautiful (but ridiculously-priced) must-have yarns?

The thing is, I saw a pattern last week for the most beautiful scarf. I looked up the yarn it was worked in, and nearly fainted when it costs well over £50 just for one skein.

So far, I have been telling myself that there is no way I would ever spend so much on any yarn - my best-quality ones so far have been picked up in charity shops for around a pound. However, if you were to start a suitable thread, I could probably buy it, guilt-free, because it would be all your fault! wink grin

MawB Fri 10-Jan-20 18:22:30

MamaCaz I am assuming you value your time and would appreciate the finished product both for its uniqueness and quality of finish?
No-brainer - your skill and expertise more than warrant expensive raw materials (and “expensive” is only relative anyway)
Just think how much you would enjoy working with something so beautiful - are you there yet?

I have often “costed” out things I have knitted or crocheted and the final figure has been eyewatering, but it is a one-off, a work of art.
You must be there by now?
Good luck!

Doodle Fri 10-Jan-20 18:34:16

Too true maw. I like quilting. I have just made 2 quilts for DGC. I have spent hours making them and spent a fortune on the material. I could easily buy a throw for them for less that I spent on the thread to sew it with. It is the pleasure of making something that is important.

MamaCaz Fri 10-Jan-20 18:53:59

You know just what to say Maw grin

MawB Fri 10-Jan-20 19:03:48

Think of it as creating a family heirloom smile

Rufus2 Sat 11-Jan-20 08:29:30

Not really!

MawB Sat 11-Jan-20 08:47:00

Add comment | Report | Private message Rufus2 Sat 11-Jan-20 08:29:30
Not really

Then rein your neck back in and stop casting unsubstantiated (and wrong) assumptions.

MawB Sat 11-Jan-20 08:50:51

aspersions not “assumptions” !
And anyway, isn’t there a GN ban on “threads about threads” ?

gillybob Sat 11-Jan-20 08:53:46

Just caught up with this great thread. Maw it seems you have a lot to answer for ! grin

I miss GabriellaG for her great fashion advice and bought my very favourite M&S “crazy, woolly, lamb coat thingy” after describing it to her way back in September . I absolutely love it .

Love those boots Gramarretto (especially the sheepskin trim) they look so comfortable. I would wear them a lot .

merlotgran Sat 11-Jan-20 09:47:33

My new Skechers have just arrived! grin