Gransnet forums

Chat

Remembering Auschwitz

(141 Posts)
annep1 Mon 27-Jan-20 13:07:59

Just heard this on Classic fm. It was based on writings found on the walls of rooms occupied by Jews.

youtu.be/g5fg8-VWNo0

craftyone Mon 27-Jan-20 13:11:56

we were all taken to majdanek concentration camp when I was 15, me and my 6 younger siblings. It was eerie, this was in 1963, no cars or coaches and a long walk into the camp. No birds singing at all. We all remember it as if it were yesterday

Anniebach Mon 27-Jan-20 13:15:09

Heartbreaking, thank you for posting it.

KatyK Mon 27-Jan-20 13:20:10

Did anyone watch Holocaust: Night Will Fall the other night? It was on More4 channel. Truly horrific. A difficult watch but fascinating how the footage was put together.

maddyone Mon 27-Jan-20 13:27:15

The capacity of men (and women) to behave in an inhuman way towards other men has always been apparent through history, but the holocaust must truly have been the worst atrocity ever.
I have visited Auschwitz twice, it is unbearingly sad. It is also quiet, almost like an eerily silent scream. There really are no words.

annep1 Mon 27-Jan-20 13:52:29

There are indeed no words.

BlueBelle Mon 27-Jan-20 13:59:10

And how easily it could happen again ....
Heartbreaking and unbelievable

maddyone Mon 27-Jan-20 14:04:41

There have already been instances BlueBelle, Rwanda, Cambodia, and others. But whilst each and every one is an unbelievable horror, there is a unique quality of awfulness about the mechanised murder, thousands at a time, that was the holocaust.

lemongrove Mon 27-Jan-20 14:22:22

I wonder if the Polish people feel a collective guilt about the camps?Many worked there and collaborated enthusiastically with the Germans.
It must never be forgotten.

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 14:35:10

lemon grove, I don’t know if you’ve visited Kraków. I went a couple of years ago, beautiful city with a fascinating history. We visited auswitch as well as the Schindler museum. I don’t know about collective guilt but the way they have preserved and commemorated the Nazi occupation is impressive and very moving.
The Jewish quarter is growing again, lots of good tourist accommodation, restaurants and a small Jewish community. My Jewish friends who lost family in Austwich would not stay in the city.

maddyone Mon 27-Jan-20 15:05:33

A good description of Krakow Iam, I love that city, it’s beautiful. Warsaw is not particularly beautiful, but is incredibly interesting re WW2.
My Jewish friends have said they’ll absolutely never visit Germany and they dislike Germans. I can’t blame them really for what their families suffered during the holocaust. However I like Germany, and again there’s so much history, WW2 and the Cold War era. Berlin is another very interesting city.

westendgirl Mon 27-Jan-20 15:32:18

Before we start apportioning blame perhaps we could think about this point I heard on the radio. How many of us would be guilty of looking the other way , of doing nothing when we knew ?

PamelaJ1 Mon 27-Jan-20 16:03:25

westendgirl, in similar vein, a comment that I heard this morning resonated with me. We must never forget that these atrocities were committed by ordinary people. People like you and me.

GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 16:08:54

westendgirl, I couldn't agree more. The situation in the US with the migrant children living in inhumane conditions springs to mind. HOW could people there have stood by and not protested? Children!

GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 16:09:26

Sorry, should have said, children incarcerated in cages, removed from their parents.

maddyone Mon 27-Jan-20 16:10:59

We were not guilty of looking the other way then, that’s why Britain bankrupted itself, to liberate Europe. We only finished paying off our war debts in 2006, I think, 200? anyway.

maddyone Mon 27-Jan-20 16:12:47

It’s awful Gaga, but we were not able to do anything about it as it happened in another country.

GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 16:21:28

I know maddyone, but enough to cut ties with the US, surely? Plus my comment was mainly aimed at US voters.

JenniferEccles Mon 27-Jan-20 17:30:01

I expect some will have heard of the Stanley Milgram psychology experiment some years ago where he was testing obedience in an attempt to explain how so many German officers could have behaved in such an horrifically brutal way.

vegansrock Mon 27-Jan-20 18:10:35

Although we took a certain number of child refugees courtesy of a few brave private individuals ( not a government initiative) the U.K. refused to take adult Jewish refugees, so many parents who sent their children on the kindertransport were then murdered. So we could have taken in families but didn’t. I feel sad about that.

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:23:35

Our government has just voted to refuse entry to unaccompanied refugee children. Friends who have volunteered in the refugee camps in Iraq, Greece and France are united in their belief we have to take in these children.

As for the holocaust, this country took some children from the kinder transport but refused to take adults, most of whom were then murdered in the camps. We didn't go to war to stop the holocaust we did it to stop Nazi domination of the world. Thank goodness we did.

TwiceAsNice Mon 27-Jan-20 18:25:35

Yes how much better to have taken the parents as well. How much more humane for those that died and their children who grew up without them.

“All it takes for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing “

Daisymae Mon 27-Jan-20 18:30:57

Desperately sad listening to the reports on the radio today. What is tragic is that it hasn't really stopped and people are suffering today in many parts of the world. I think that it's important to remember the past but we are bad at learning from it.

maddyone Mon 27-Jan-20 19:41:22

But Britain didn’t do nothing did it? Britain fought Nazism for six solid years. Britain took over a thousand children on the KinderTransport. But Britain couldn’t have ever imagined the depths the Nazis would sink to. Later it was known, but it was thought that the best way to help was to defeat the Nazis. Britain put itself into debt in order to liberate Europe, which it took till the year 2000+ for us to pay off. No one should denigrate Britain for what it did during the war.
Currently we do our fair share of accepting refugees and asylum seekers, and they are treated well here, as it should be. Britain did, and does it’s share.

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 20:11:00

maddyone, I don't think anyone has disputed that Britain 'did nothing' . Most of us will have had parents who fought in WW2 and we certainly grew up with it (and WW1) as a backdrop to our childhoods and young adult lives. This country fought a just war ,thanks to all those brave men and women.
I don't entirely agree with you that 'we do our fair share of accepting refugees and asylum seekers and they're treated well here'. I don't believe we do take our fair share, neither do many other countries. WE have an international disaster as a result of wars in Africa, Syria, Lebanon etc. I idon't have any simple solutions and I do understand the fears expressed by some that we lose our identity, cripple our already stretched public services if we operate an open door policy. I wish there was more international co=operation and also, that we didn't support the arms race by selling arms.
Lesbos is a small Greek island which survived reasonably well with tourism. The refugee camps on that island is wrecking their economy. If we're talking about fair shares, they seem to have many more than their fair share.