Gransnet forums

Chat

So should I lie!

(112 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:41:55

When meeting new people the conversation usually gets round to children. When I say I don't have children the first question, invariably, is to ask why (a question I think is rarely rude and invasive). I always reply that I didn't want children which usually results in my being treated as weird or a child hater (neither of which is true, alright I may be a little weird!).

If a child wants to smile, wave or talk to me I will smile wave or talk back (provided a parent is present) but I knew at an early age that I don't have a maternal bone in my body. I like children, just didn't want any of my own.

So the question I am asking is, the next time someone asks why I didn't have children should I lie and say I couldn't? Of course that could then lead on to further questions about the "problem"

Bridgeit Wed 05-Feb-20 19:23:41

Yea another good one Baggs?

love0c Wed 05-Feb-20 19:34:46

Or just say 'I never really wanted my own, but love other people's'. True, polite and no awkward feelings on either side then.

Gummie Thu 06-Feb-20 06:39:08

And of course they are not allowed to ask that anymore at job interviews.

Shropshirelass Thu 06-Feb-20 08:29:28

There is nothing wrong with not wanting children. My daughter never wanted children, she says she is not maternal and enjoys her life too much. She said she is selfish and didn't want anything to prevent her from doing what she wanted when she wanted. She has horses and dogs and a career she loves. I actually admire her for sticking to her guns and staying child free. There is an expectation that we should have children, why?

Gaunt47 Thu 06-Feb-20 08:43:04

Back in the '70s, a widely syndicated agony aunt in north America asked her readers: if you could have your time over again, would you still have children? In the days before emails she apparently had a huge response, around 70% replied "no".
I agree with the comments up thread that there are a lot of people around who shouldn't have had children.
Aren't we lucky to live in an age when we have a choice whether to have children, or not?

QuaintIrene Thu 06-Feb-20 09:26:08

Yes Gaunt47 I remember reading about that survey. No idea where.
I asked my mother if she would have had children if she had her time again. I asked because she favoured her first born and it was so obvious. She said she wanted one and got 5 due to my father refusing to use protection and taking her before she had time to use the cap.
I used to be asked a lot in my 30s if I had children. I said, maybe but I need a husband first.
Now the question is do you have any family ? I say yes, 2 stepsons and 5 grandchildren. Smug me.
It just never happened but I never had a terrible yearning.
And it’s not only women anyway. Do childless men get asked the same ? Or as much any way ?
I don’t think there is a need to lie. Or explain, nothing at all. Nobody’s business. A simple no, no children should suffice.

AllotmentLil Thu 06-Feb-20 23:20:17

What Baggs or Bridgeit said!
Absolutely do not lie - nobody’s business but yours!

Txquiltz Thu 06-Feb-20 23:56:17

Simply reply, "because" and go right on with other matters being discussed. Their question was rude, nosy and inappropriate. You owe them no explanation at all!

Starlady Fri 07-Feb-20 06:23:58

First, I agree it's terribly rude - and insensitive (what if you were trying and having a hard time?)! IMO, you would be totally justified in saying, "None of your business!"

However, since I'm sure you want to be more polite than that (unlike these thoughtless people who ask that question), I think you should choose one or more of the responses that have been suggested here. I favor the ones in the "Why do you ask?"/"Excuse me?"/"I beg your pardon?' category. But, of course, it's up to you.

I definitely wouldn't lie thought. You don't have to, and it would just lead to more questions, advice, and perhaps arguments.

Starlady Fri 07-Feb-20 06:25:11

Oh, I like the "because..." answer, too.

Another good one, IMO, is "What concern could it possibly be of yours?"

But again, up to you. Lots of good ideas here!

Baggs Fri 07-Feb-20 09:52:33

there are a lot of people around who shouldn't have had children

This is a worryingly authoritarian point of view.