Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange happenings

(36 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 03-Feb-20 11:57:16

My husband ordered a book recently, to be delivered by Royal Mail.
We were away at the weekend, and on our return found a postcard from RM, telling us that they had tried to deliver a parcel, on 31/01/20.
This morning DH visited RM collection point and was told that the delivery address had been changed to a different house number. 4 houses away from us.

He was shown a form on which the alteration was noted. According to the member of staff he spoke to, this alteration had been made on line!!!

DH hasn't done it, so who has?

The parcel is out for re-delivery, and our neighbours now will be on the look out for us.

DH contacted the people from whom he ordered the book, and they have our correct address.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
If it arrives, I will let you all know.

CBBL Tue 04-Feb-20 17:11:58

I had a what I think is a fairly unique problem for some time, when living in Leeds. Property across from me on the same street was demolished and new houses were built. One row of the new houses faced into an existing street "Cross Roundhay Avenue". This street had existed from many years, but NO properties faced into this street, until the new row of houses was built. I lived on Roundhay avenue, at No. 3. The people at No.3. Cross Roundhay Avenue began ordering lots of things after they moved in, and mail for them was delivered to me together with many parcels, and take-away food orders (including late at night, when I'd gone to bed!). I began by taking things back to them (a fairly steep uphill walk of about a hundred yards) and explained the difference in the street addresses. It never made any difference! In the end, after two YEARS, I refused to take things to them. If I could return them, I did. I was at work during the day, and could not see the postman. I wrote to the local council and even my MP, but could not get any satisfaction. The people living at Cross Roundhay Avenue refused to open their door to me after a while - so I gave up. I had window cleaners arrive, un-asked for. A TV Aerial company took down my aerial because "they" had ordered one. The problem was that "they" continued to use "my" address - and nothing I said or did seemed to make any difference. I'm just glad that I moved (after retiring!)

Esmerelda Tue 04-Feb-20 18:36:18

For years my brother and his wife received mail for the people living at the same house number and street name as them but in a different area of our city (as indeed did the people there get stuff for my brother) although the post codes were quite different and were correctly shown on the envelopes. Fortunately there was an amical exchange of mail between the two households and it stopped happening after a while (maybe the PO got a better post code reader machine!).

Auntieflo Tue 04-Feb-20 19:06:00

Talk Talk bill all sorted, and DH is pleased with the resulting reduction of approx £11.00 per month.?

Xxjanexx Tue 04-Feb-20 19:29:33

I had a delivery today,I checked on my phone I would be back in time and lo and behold 5 mins later it flashed up on my phone that order had been delivered and given to resident!!
When we got home 2 boxes was under the hedge!
When I opened them 1 of the items was missing!
The package hadn’t been opened I’m sure it’s a case of the sender forgetting to put the item in.
Mistakes do happen I no that,customer service was excellent when I rang and said they would send another in the post today.
If I’m sending anything I always use my Hermes there a lot cheaper the RM and the collect it from your house.

Happygirl79 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:34:45

@Mirren.
You can go on to google maps and correct this yourself. Check the dots at the top of the screen

Grammaretto Tue 04-Feb-20 22:47:33

We have lived 40 yrs in this 200yr old house and still delivery people can't find us.
Are people getting stupider?
Occasionally I go to answer the doorbell and a pained looking delivery person says they have been looking for my house for ages. I tell them it hasn't moved in 200 years.
Part of the problem is it isn't on google maps so isn't on their satnav and the address the Royal Mail/Post Office has for us is a house that was demolished 70 years ago. We have told them to change it many times but they never do.
They end up going to the local pub and someone directs them. Old fashioned but it works.

HiPpyChick57 Wed 05-Feb-20 00:20:34

Delivery man knocked my door and asked if I’d take a parcel for number 26 (next door but one)I said yes and took it in.
I took the parcel down a bit later when I thought they’d be in. They weren’t so I brought it back home and went back to put a note through their letterbox to say the parcel was at mine but I’d had to leave for work so would bring it down later.
Got back from work and as I was shuffling out the door to try and deliver the parcel again I happened to glance down at the address and instead of saying 26 it said 28... MY number! I’d been all afternoon trying to deliver my own parcel to the neighbours. ?
I had to then go and tell her that the parcel had been mine all along. ??‍♀️
We had a bit of a chuckle over that but the thing is it clearly said 28 and didn’t look at all like the number 26 ??‍♀️

welbeck Wed 05-Feb-20 01:28:02

and people think this is preferable to going to a shop, examining goods, making a purchase and carrying them out with us.

GrumpyGran8 Wed 05-Feb-20 17:04:06

grandtanteJE65 I don't think the postie can be blamed for not delivering parcels to your friends. I've lived in rural Scotland for 15 years and the local posties all have huge rounds which involve going miles up farm tracks and small roads which only have two or three houses along them; it wouldn't be any extra hardship for them to go up just one more little road. Myself, I'd be looking for a parcel thief who lives close by, knows the houses don't have any passing taffic and regularly goes looking for things left on doorsteps.
Our particular postie is a gem, though. We used to live 12 miles down the road from out present house. When we told him we were moving and where to, he told us not to bother paying for a mail redirect, as the new house was on his round and he would ensure we got our mail!

NfkDumpling Wed 05-Feb-20 17:15:34

I agree Welbeck. I’ve tried this on-line buying lark and decided it’s easier to buy from a shop.

Particularly when they only give a day for delivery and don’t narrow it down.

Particularly when they send an email saying we were out and couldn’t deliver when I was sitting working by the front window.

I only buy on-line now when there’s no alternative.