Gransnet forums

Chat

Do we mollycoddle our children today?

(188 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 17-Feb-20 21:05:43

On another thread I mentioned:

I was about 9y old when I read ‘Alice in Wonderland’ at home, in bed, getting over ? chickenpox. Was in my mum’s bed (a treat cos I wasn’t well) on my own. Mum had gone to work - I must have been over the worst - but still ... ? No telephone in the house. Just told ‘stay in bed till I get back’. Needs must I suppose - no grandparents.

Then when I was just 11y and 1mth (late Aug birthday) I went to the grammar school. I was so scared as I had to get a train from Old Trafford station on my own. 3 stops. Separate carriageways in those days & big leather straps to secure an open window - remember them? No mobile phone for this new 11y old. Mum went with me ONCE to show me how to buy my ticket and which side of the station to get the steps down to the platform. ‘Count the stops and when the train starts to slow get up to the door. DON’T open it till it has fully stopped’.

Phew! I was so scared the first few times. Then confident and proud of myself.

But thinking back ... ?
No mobile
I didn’t have the telephone number for mum at work (shop, part time)
We didn’t have a landline at home.

Sorry this is a long post.

My point - is independence good for character building? Or do I remember all this so vividly from more than 50y ago because it traumatised me? I was really frightened to do this.

What are your thoughts? Any similar experiences? How are we different with grandchildren today?

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 23:16:14

One morning I wasn't there and mum panicked. I had got to school,safely (along with little friend Susan) but then had an accident in school and cut my head open; a teacher had to take me to hospital to be stitched up.
So there was more danger in school than out.

Pixxie7 Wed 19-Feb-20 04:03:37

Absolutely whilst obviously every precaution must be made to protect them at the end of the day they have to grow up and become functioning members of society. Looking at some of them today heaven help us.

f77ms Wed 19-Feb-20 09:04:31

Same for me, went to school on the bus from hulme to Stretford at age 6. I had lots of "uncles" on the bus who gave me a sweet! Every generation thinks that the present one is molly coddled, there are different pressures and dangers for each generation.

moggie57 Wed 19-Feb-20 10:50:17

rermember when i was ill and mum said i got to go to the market for vegetables .stay in bed till i get back.you always done as your parents said.....market was 10 mins walk away ,as it happens as most women do they stop and chatter ,2 hours later she's back.no harm done ,i;m still in bed .reading ..in a way mobile phones are good for keeping in contact. but i dont believe in 24/7 internet.

Suzyb Thu 20-Feb-20 00:42:05

When I was 9 I went over on my foot at school. Next lesson was dancing..teacher told me to join in..I was in agony. Had to hop all way home from school. My mum looked at it when she arrived home from work and thought I’d just sprained it. Next day it still hurt..mum went to work but came home after an hour as she was worried (I was an only child). My dad was a rep and was away working so next door neighbour took me to hospital on his motorbike and sidecar and mum followed on bus. After an x-ray I’d fractured my foot and had to have a caste on!

Fiachna50 Thu 20-Feb-20 08:59:59

You can't really compare our childhoods with todays childhood. I can assure you I have neighbours I don't trust and keep very much at arms length. People today are much more entitled and at times, downright aggressive. There are also a damn sight more 'weirdos' around now than when I was a child. Where I grew up has changed immensely, so have people and we are living in far different times. I don't trust anyone, but due to certain experiences in my life- never have. Those who came out of your childhood innocent and relatively unscathed, you are the fortunate ones. Not everyone did.

anxiousgran Thu 20-Feb-20 09:18:27

When I was 6 and my sister was 8 onwards, our parents would go out for a drink on Saturday night and leave us on our own.

I was terrified and was convinced they wouldn’t come home and would spend the whole time checking whether they had taken clothes and whether the suit cases were under the bed.

All kinds of things happened including hot coals jumping out of the fire, which we had to rescue with a pair of tongs. It only stopped when I was so terrified I went over the road in my nightie to tell the elderly neighbour I was scared.
He came to sit with us, and knowing my dad,he tried to leave through the back door when he heard my parents come back.
Dad heard him though, and was furious with me, not Billy.
They still didn’t twig a baby sitter might be a good idea. Billy would have done it. Bless him, he must have been in his eighties.

I’ve always been friendly with the family next door so their children can come here and be safe. I baby sat for them and they have frequently come here when they get locked out.

I gave my own children freedom but not neglect.

trisher Thu 20-Feb-20 09:22:59

GCs staying just now and it struck me that even homes are now made to make sure children are always supervised, just think of the big kitchen/diner/sitting room. When I was cooking in the kitchen yesterday DGCs were playing in the sitting room. I could hear them and popped in to check every few minutes but it struck me that this is where independance begins and nowadays it sometimes doesn't.

OldHag Thu 20-Feb-20 11:53:35

Oh the things we got up to - my sister and I managed to climb up onto the garage roof, we started arguing, which resulted in her pushing me off the roof into a bed of stinging nettles!!! She then bathed me in vinegar. We were playing chase in the house one day and she shut the door against my head making quite a cut, which she then rubbed butter into??? Another time we played cards for buttons, there was a set that was our favourite with little teddies on, and as she was the biggest she always seemed to get the teddies, so one day I grabbed one and put it in my mouth, she shook me, and I promptly swallowed it, but it got stuck, so she forced me to eat chunks of bread in an attempt to make the button go down, which it eventually did. But I think the worst thing was when we were due to meet my mother who was pea picking in a field up the track from where we lived, I went to the drawer to get my gloves out, and threw up!! I called my sister, who said 'don't worry, I'll clean it up'. She went and got a bowl of water, took one look at what she had to do, dropped the bowl of water, and promptly threw up herself!! That time we had to go and fetch Mum to rescue us, but most of the other things she didn't get to hear about until we were grown up, lol. I think that being left to take care of ourselves didn't do us any harm at all, although probably more by luck than judgement!

However, I do think kids today are mollycoddled, and so many are never taught about how to handle money, hence it's no wonder that a lot end up in debt as they get older. We were given chores from the age of 4, and paid pocket money accordingly. Once the money was spent, that was it. This taught me a valuable lesson, as we went on a rare holiday when I was 7, the first day I put ALL of my money into the slot machines in a penny arcade, but my Mum said 'well you've spent your money, that's your lot', and stuck to it. I was bought the odd ice cream, but had to watch my older sisters spend their money throughout the week. This taught me two lessons - Do NOT gamble, because you'll lose every penny you have, and budget for the week, ie. divide what you have into so much each day, if you have some left, you can either save it, or spend it the following day, but never borrow from the days yet to come!

My grandkids have never been made to do chores, and have pretty much been given everything they've ever asked for. I remember the first one who at 4 years old was given a TV for her bedroom, I pointed out to her parents that given a TV at 4, what would they have to give her by the time she was 10 or 15?? Now their parents wonder where they went wrong!!

Curlywhirly Thu 20-Feb-20 13:32:21

Oh, Oldhag that had me crying laughing at your antics - pushed you off the garage roof! Kids are cruel aren't they, especially siblings! It is a wonder you survived. Apparently my eldest son nearly did away with my youngest son on a number of occasions, all unbeknown to me until recently, the little s*d!

GrannySomerset Thu 20-Feb-20 15:52:39

Much enjoyed these reminiscences. My widowed mother had no choice but to work, so I was a latchkey child from the age of 5. Various near disasters such as breaking a Tizer bottle because I couldn’t get the top off, with resulting glass shard in my lip and much blood, giving my mother’s only winter coat to the rag and bone man in exchange for a goldfish (which died - of shame, probably), losing said key and having to sit on the step until my poor mother got home from work; all character building in the long run, and certainly by the age of 10 I did my own ironing and most of the shopping. I still shudder at the memory of lighting the fire (the only form of winter heating) and holding a sheet of newspaper up to encourage it to blaze.

Callistemon Thu 20-Feb-20 18:08:57

OldHag grin
and GrannySomerset your mother's coat!! grin

Both lots of my DGC have to do household tasks for their pocket money, not strenuous or that time consuming but helpful chores.