Gransnet forums

Chat

Acceptance

(38 Posts)
Greymar Sat 22-Feb-20 16:35:51

This is on my mind today. I wonder if anybody would like to share anything they have come to accept.

Mine are My Dad died, I did my best. I don't have a good relationship with other family members and it won't improve.
I am lucky in many ways.

quizqueen Sat 22-Feb-20 16:40:27

I have come to accept I can't walk for miles like I used to be able to, so won't be able to have a dog again unless it was a very old rescue one!

rosenoir Sat 22-Feb-20 16:46:36

I have come to accept that I am not well liked.

I have always been the one that contacted friends and siblings to arrange meetings or just for a chat, always seemed to go well.

Just out of interest a few months ago I stopped contacting people to see if anyone phoned me. They have not.

Greymar Sat 22-Feb-20 16:52:12

I did that once, with a very good friend. We were close, in contact a lot. I stopped ringing and never heard from her again.

Greenfinch Sat 22-Feb-20 16:57:38

rosenoir I don't think this means you are not liked. It is just that people get used to someone else taking the initiative and can't seem to do it themselves.

Nortsat46 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:00:25

I have had many painful losses in my life, particularly professionally and in health terms in the last 12 months.
Mostly I have accepted the circumstances and work hard to stay on an even keel, emotionally.

I have a small but lovely family and a small group of good friends... so achieving emotional balance and a healthy life are my current goals. My success varies ....

Doodledog Sat 22-Feb-20 17:00:32

Yes, I think there could be someone somewhere posting that they felt unloved because they used to have a close friend who suddenly stopped calling or getting in touch.

Unless you have been trying to make contact and getting ignored, I would maybe give it another try? You could always tell people that you had been hoping to hear from them, and see what they say.

Yennifer Sat 22-Feb-20 17:00:49

I too accept that I have family I don't want to ever have a relationship with because of their behaviour. I didn't really accept it till quite recently when I had to stand up for myself and my decision. I accept that I have things to do to improve me after being emotionally abused for most of my life too and I release my family as the cause so I can take responsibility for myself x

Billybob4491 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:36:45

I have to accept that my daughter in law will never like or contact me, thankfully this does not bother me - her loss.

Madgran77 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:37:00

I have nearly accepted that my fairly boring expectations of what this stage of my life would be like just aren't going to be met!!

rosecarmel Sat 22-Feb-20 17:55:17

paddyanne Sat 22-Feb-20 17:58:05

I have to accept I cant make my daughter better and all the well meaning supplements and gadgets in the world wont make any difference to her health.

I find that difficult to do because it feels like giving up hope .

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 17:58:45

I think your okay, rosenoir - Just find new friends, who make the effort, next time..

Smileless2012 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:58:46

That helped me no end rosecarmel when our son estranged us. We've accepted our relationship with him is over and in all probability we'll never know our GC.

It still hurts though.

Greymar Sat 22-Feb-20 17:59:09

Is it fibromyalgia paddyanne?

Smileless2012 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:59:40

resonoirflowers

Zodiacdream Sat 22-Feb-20 18:09:05

Smileless2012, exactly like you. Had no contact with my eldest son for over 5 years. Never met my GC, very sad.sad

Smileless2012 Sat 22-Feb-20 18:12:55

It's been just over 7 years for us Zodiacdream; horrible isn't it.

SueSocks Sat 22-Feb-20 18:16:25

Like lots of others on here, I have accepted that my sister and myself will never have a good relationship - she is my only family apart from my husband.
I will never be able to "make a difference" or be needed in the same way that I was when I was working.
I have accepted that I am a loner, never bothered me when I was so busy at work, now it is too late to do anything about it, I go to activiites and meet people there - it never develops into anything more, just the way things are.

JuliaM Sat 22-Feb-20 18:16:45

I have to accept that 3 out of my 5 Daughters have suffered from long term serious health problems, one has already passed away, one is in remission from Cancer, and one has a serious long term condition that effects her Central nervous system and produces far too much spinal fluid around her brain.

blossom14 Sat 22-Feb-20 18:19:37

Taking me almost to tears daily accepting my DH is slowly drifting into an invalid state of mind 2 years after a stroke. He has given up hope on himself.

Greenfinch Sat 22-Feb-20 18:21:35

How difficult that must be for you JuliaM. It is so hard to see our children suffering.

Greenfinch Sat 22-Feb-20 18:22:57

And you blossom14. Strokes are so cruel.

Washerwoman Sat 22-Feb-20 18:25:03

You have friends on here Rosenoir.
I have come to accept the friend who loved to spend hours of hospitality in our home,yet never reciprocated with an invite to hers.Who would go silent for weeks after I was the last to text suggesting a meet up and then come back saying hello stranger.And 'oh but you're so busy with your family'-when she knows I love any chance to escape for an hour or so - has problems I can't fix.

SparklyGrandma Sat 22-Feb-20 18:33:33

I have accepted my career is over but glad to still be here. I have accepted family circumstances. I am almost at peace with things, and it has deepened my faith.

I am still learning new things and enjoy a quite stress free life.