Gransnet forums

Chat

Freedom

(49 Posts)
vampirequeen Sun 23-Feb-20 08:16:03

So now we have our blue passports I think it's time to refuse to accept other Continental tyranny that has infiltrated our lives. Time to return to good honest British food. Get rid of all that gateaux, meringue, goulash, paella, pizza, pasta, pate, crème caramel rubbish and return to our traditional cuisine. Fish and chips all round. wink

BlueBelle Sun 23-Feb-20 15:58:33

Oh my word how horrible I love my international flavours
I don’t want to eat awful bland old English stuff in fact apart from jacket potatoes I never do, curries of every shade, noodles, rice, couscous,I m just working my way around my cupboard in my head, I cook with olive oil, black pepper, Himalayan salt,
favourite restaurants are Chinese Indian Turkish italian Vietnamese Thai Malaysian and anything else really
I m guessing the original post was a tongue in cheek one so I won’t take it seriously
oh and yes joy of joy I ve renewed my passport for ten years and I am beautifully maroon thanks for small mercies

ginny Sun 23-Feb-20 16:12:44

Never mind foodstuff most of which I don’t want to give up. Please can we stop all this continental kissing of all and sundry.

tessagee Sun 23-Feb-20 16:17:36

I'd love to return to Imperial measurements but don't suppose it will happen as there is a generation or two now who don't know what pounds and ounces or feet and inches are.

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 16:23:25

Although, as any Bolognian will tell you, spagetti bolognaise is NOT Italian. There is no Italian meat sauce called bolognaise and noodles are originally from China.

AGAA4 Sun 23-Feb-20 16:32:56

No more pasta, rice and noodles. Just get back to plain old mash at every meal not forgetting mushy cabbage.

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 16:41:20

I do not tend to eat many of the things mentined on these pages. My main reasons have nothing to do with identity or freedom. I dont eat chinese because of the monosodium glutimate which gives me severe headaches. Goes for most chinese food. I dont eat curries because the spieces disagree with my digestion - goes for all spicey food regardless of origin. I cant take anything with garlic in it either because it seems I have an intolerance to that - it upsets my digestion badly and lasts for days afterwards.

Cant eat pizzas as I dont like cooked cheese. I dont eat pasta - I dont like it.

Plain simple cooking seems to be the order of my days. So can I go "backwards" on this - yeah, it wouldnt bother me if food were seasonal and British ( most of mine is already anyway).

Grammaretto Sun 23-Feb-20 16:44:18

Hugs and kisses seem to have morphed into a swipe of one arm across shoulder and an airkiss ginny. Maybe the British way?

I hope the OP was tongue-in-cheek BlueBelle otherwise we are doomed stuffed.

Americans do miles and yards. Their cups are smaller than ours.
I will always think in lbs and ounces for cooking and miles for walking though I can gauge 100gm -just. Surely the next generations will find it easy, like we did, to remember what they are first taught.

MerylStreep Sun 23-Feb-20 17:01:01

Oopsadaisy
Wine
I suppose if your someone who only drinks European wine it could/might affect you. We personally will save money as we drink a lot of Chilean wine.
On the 19th of Jan 2019 the uk and Chile sighted a Continuity trade agreement This wine will now be cheaper, being outside the eu.
The same will apply when we have free trade deals with Australia/New Zealand/ South Africa.

MerylStreep Sun 23-Feb-20 17:07:30

It's good to see that our own pasta making company Pasta Foods expanded their production line in March 19.

pollyperkins Sun 23-Feb-20 17:26:56

I’m with Ginny about the kissing! But certainly wouldn’t want to return to imperial Measures - much more difficult. Remember all those awful
Maths sums when adding or subtracting £ s & d. All that dividing by 12 and 20 and carrying over.
I’m used to metric now for cooking (but like most, still think in imperial for pints of milk or weights of babies, and even my own weight!!!)

vampirequeen Sun 23-Feb-20 19:34:57

Definitely tongue in cheek grin

paddyanne Sun 23-Feb-20 22:05:16

Chips are French ,weren't they first sold in Paris on the Pont Neuf ..chips are out .

Callistemon Sun 23-Feb-20 22:09:38

Croissants I want croissants
Please
Sorry, s'il vous plaît

DanniRae Mon 24-Feb-20 18:34:10

I can't live without chips!!!!!!!! shock

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 24-Feb-20 18:41:37

Letters

Think about it.......

Or was this in name only?

Dottydots Mon 24-Feb-20 18:48:04

Fish and chips with curry sauce. Best of both worlds!

Elegran Mon 24-Feb-20 20:15:21

That's right, Oopsadaisy The French would call one a “capote anglaise” (English hood) just as "taking French leave" (or going AWOL) translates as "filer a l'anglaise" (scarpering like the English), and what used to be called here the "French disease (VD) is the "English disease" in France.

Shift the blame onto the neighbours!

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:25:11

Elegran I never knew that!

annodomini Mon 24-Feb-20 22:08:04

Chocolate was originally consumed in Mexico. Please, please, let's make an exception for chocolate! I'll be very happy never to see another Brussels sprout!

Yehbutnobut Mon 24-Feb-20 22:53:09

What? No Vesta. Chow Mein? ?

merlotgran Mon 24-Feb-20 23:08:08

Oooh. I used to love Vesta Chow Mein on a Friday night. Baby in bed, fire lit, sitting on the floor watching The Mod Squad on telly.

We knew how to live. grin

Callistemon Mon 24-Feb-20 23:42:45

henetha of course you can have Indian food - it's not from the EU! We have to embrace trade deals from around the globe now and that includes Chicken Tikka Masala (although I think it originated in Glasgow).

None of that foreign muck garlic, though!
Nor crème Anglaise, back to good old Bird's custard.

I have a Mrs Beeton's somewhere on the shelf, must take a look for some good old British recipes.

shock French onion soup, sacher torte, Wiener schnitzel, polenta alla Bologna, estafado

Mrs Beeton! What were you thinking?

henetha Tue 25-Feb-20 11:06:47

Yippee Callistemon !!!