Gransnet forums

Chat

Are we allowed to change our minds ?

(57 Posts)
Gemini17892 Tue 25-Feb-20 13:36:27

Not sure of the exact quote but was it Maya Angelou who said ‘ When I knew better , I did better. ‘ ?
Some of my beliefs and opinions have changed over the years and I think this is what ought to happen throughout life.
People held opinions that seem outrageous nowadays. Should we be held to account for things we said and did when young and maybe foolish ?

anniezzz09 Fri 28-Feb-20 19:18:40

I think that these days, St Paul would certainly be on the terrorist list compiled by the police and GCHQ. Likewise Jesus. grin

Gemini17892 Fri 28-Feb-20 22:09:57

Oh my word ! You do have to be so careful with your choice of vocabulary on here. And I’m not referring to the n word mentioned previously. I’m referring to ‘allowed’. Not the best word maybe but ......
And how do you know if it’s a thread about a thread if you don’t read all the other threads on here ?

M0nica Sat 29-Feb-20 09:36:23

Varian Please change the tape. It doesn't bear constant repetition and is history now.

TerryM Sat 29-Feb-20 09:57:30

I would hope people would grow and learn.
My....the things I consider important are not what I considered important in my youth
However maybe the dumb things done in our youth make us what we are today ?
I am truly grateful social media wasn't around in my early teens for the daft things I did

varian Sat 29-Feb-20 10:41:56

The EU referendum of 2016 may be history, but we shoulld not forget that it was ill-concieved, strictly advisory and won by lies, cheating and foreign interference.

It will go down in history as an important turning point where this country took the wrong turn. There is a difference between accepting that it happened and ignoring the true facts.

yggdrasil Sat 29-Feb-20 11:06:42

But you know you can't change your mind. It was the 'will of the people' and Johnson is going to see it through to the bitter end of No Deal angry