Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have housekeeping money?

(86 Posts)
millymouge Fri 06-Mar-20 17:32:27

Talking with some friends the other evening we were saying how our mothers used to have a set housekeeping amount. This was often given out by the man of the household and woe betide if you didn’t manage it to see you through the week. I can remember my FIL being really angry with MIL because she said he wasn’t giving her enough, he had no idea of the cost of anything. Several friends said that they thought that the way their mothers managed was marvellous. In many cases the man had his beer and cigarette money and the poor mum had nothing to fall back on. We all said we were sensible with our money but no one seemed to have a set amount handed out by their partner. How things have changed.

Hetty58 Sat 07-Mar-20 16:37:53

No, always a joint account and own account - whether working or not. I did have a (sort of) budget, though, and an allowance from my father.

Urmstongran Sat 07-Mar-20 16:49:30

I opened my Nat West Bank account in November 1971. I have never changed banks.

We do operate on a ‘housekeeping’ amount each week (which is a generous £250 a week for two). It helps us budget effectively. We eat out, buy alcohol on it and if we want more out then that’s fine - but a certain amount helps us to be aware and in control.

kittylester Sat 07-Mar-20 19:46:12

I had a bank account in 1965! Just saying!

Dh used to say that he earned the money and I spent it! That was true in that he earned the money and I was in charge of where it went.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Mar-20 19:56:57

My ex husband use to give a set amount each week from his pay packet to buy everything I needed and that included things like a washing a machine which I had to save up bit by bit. When we divorced we were in rented accommodation and he told me I could take everything that was mine, that I had bought. I took everything, even the light bulbs and left him with his record player and records. Husband no.2 is different, I have my own income and bank account, he has his which is a joint account that I never use. Life is much more relaxed this way.

Esther1 Sat 07-Mar-20 20:09:53

My DH is hopeless with money and has got so vague now I have gently taken over all the finances. He is still earning and puts a set amount every month into a bank account that is only in my name rather than our joint one. I actually earn more than him now and pay for all the luxuries and holidays - I think he thinks I budget for all this from my ‘housekeeping’. It keeps him happy.

Granny23 Sat 07-Mar-20 20:44:52

Back in my parents day it was accepted that in low waged households the man handed over his paypacket unopened, got his pocket money (maybe 10/-) and his poor wife had to stretch what was left to cover the food shopping and other bills.

Meanwhile, in higher income households, the man managed the bills and finances giving his wife a housekeeping allowance and perhaps a small personal allowance, for clothes, hairdressing etc.

Rainwashed Sat 07-Mar-20 21:01:11

My Dad too, handed over his unopened pay packet every week.I don’t know if he even had pocket money.

paddyanne Sat 07-Mar-20 21:29:12

I move a set amount into my personal acount every month .I use it for housekeeping small household items,cutrtains ,bedding etc and all the present buying birthdays and christmas.
This month I have 5 birthdays a wedding anniversary and mothers day ,next month easter and 3 birthdays ,If I stick to my monthly budget I'm happy ,sometimes I need to top it up but as its my business acount I'm paying myself .I wouldn't like to have to ask for cash .OH pays all the household expenses and always has.We have quite a 1950's type marriage ,its suits us both

dragonfly46 Sat 07-Mar-20 21:47:14

We are just the same kitty.

M0nica Sat 07-Mar-20 21:58:03

I opened a bank account in 1961, without any man being involved. My aunt recommended me to the bank and came with me when I opened it.

In 1968, when I married, I just changed name and details. I do not remember being asked any questions about DH. What is more, when we moved into a flat and we needed an overdraft to pay for the living room carpet. I approached my bank for an overdraft on my account and got it. DH again not involved.

I have always been the financial manager in our household so there was no question of being given housekeeping. What is more neither did mother get given housekeeping moneyhad my mother. My parents had a joint account and my mother held the only cheque book and took out money as and when she needed it, even when she wasn't working herself. My parents in law had a similar system,