Gransnet forums

Chat

Irrationally excited about the milk delivery.

(64 Posts)
littleflo Sat 07-Mar-20 12:00:42

We have gone back to having our milk delivered in bottles. It comes 3 times a week and I find myself ridiculously on a high when I bring it in from the doorstep. I can’t explain it, but there is something so costly reassuring about it.

Grandmafrench Sun 08-Mar-20 15:45:49

Sorry, "take the jug"...not the just !

watermeadow Sun 08-Mar-20 20:34:25

I use oat milk and really should give up cow products entirely (so cruel to cows and calves) but I love cheese and need occasional cream for trifle or scones. One daughter has bottled milk delivered but seems to always have a glut or runs out.
Why have milk delivered when the rest of your shopping comes from the supermarket?

lemongrove Sun 08-Mar-20 22:42:30

There isn’t a milk delivery service where I live, but in any case we have been buying it from the shops for years.That way you get the amount you need, not have milk ‘piling up’ and have to pour it down the sink.
I remember milkmen who arrived after we had all gone to work and school, so the milk was sitting there all day, getting hot in Summer and having the lids pecked by bluetits.
Another milkman woke us up by insisting in delivering the milk about 1 a.m.
Another wouldn’t call every week for the money and when he did call ( saying we owed 5 weeks worth) the sum was so mind boggling, it was hard to find the cash.
All in all, milk from the shops suits us better all round.

lemongrove Sun 08-Mar-20 22:44:18

Forgot to add though, if you are housebound it would be useful, especially as they also sell groceries.

BradfordLass73 Mon 09-Mar-20 00:05:40

not have milk piling up and have to pour it down the sink

Ooh, that made me cringe.

So many things you can make with milk "on the turn" : yoghurt, cheese, curds/paneer... but then not everyone knows how these days. sad

May7 Mon 09-Mar-20 00:14:59

Ooh my nana made the best scones with sour milk
Yummy. She threw nothing away

JuliaM Mon 09-Mar-20 00:30:45

Sadly in some areas the milk would disappear from the doorstep before its rightful recipient had a chance to collect it!
This used to happen in the previous house l lived in, either stolen completely, or raided by the birds as free food, the local Magpies and Tits were experts at it!

Witzend Mon 09-Mar-20 05:55:10

Not that it often happens, but I never pour excess milk down the sink. I always keep a plastic bottle or two, and it goes in the freezer.
Or I make a rice pudding, or pancakes, or something else to use it up.

We’ve had milk deliveries for ages. I find it very handy, esp. since you can order a multitude of other items before 9 pm - or cancel what you don’t need. Ours nearly always arrives before about 4 am.

A dd whose dcs were drinking a lot of milk also started having glass bottle deliveries about a year ago, largely to decrease the amount of plastic going to recycling, but also one less thing to have to cart back from the shops.

TwiceAsNice Mon 09-Mar-20 06:09:33

My daughters started to have milk delivered but stopped because he came so late in the morning there was often not enough milk for breakfast ( grandchildren drink a LOT of milk) He also often didn’t take the bottles away. Last straw was the day he swore at her and she complained to the depot. The did nothing so she cancelled the order and has gone back to having milk in plastic bottles delivered from Abel and Cole. We all like organic milk and are willing to pay extra for it

Aepgirl Mon 09-Mar-20 11:50:17

I decided to have milk delivered but I never knew when the milkman would come and sometimes I’d get home to find warm milk that had sat there for hours.
As the delivered milk is so much more expensive than supermarket milk, I just couldn’t afford to keep pouring it away.

T56ers Mon 09-Mar-20 11:53:33

My milkman delivers seven days a week. I also like that I can just put a note out asking for anything I need on short notice: eggs, bread, potatoes, cheese, etc. Last winter I ordered a snack of grit/salt to use on the snowy drive and pavement. And there's extra supplies on offer at Christmas.

Disneyfan Mon 09-Mar-20 12:06:41

They've started delivering again where I live but some ner do wells having been pinching them off the doorstep.

Davida1968 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:18:02

Always had milk delivered here as well. And eggs. (Both are always very fresh.) From a local (not national) supplier. Still in glass bottles which are "washed and returned".

polnan Mon 09-Mar-20 12:22:16

Those were the days my friend... we thought they`d never end...... (song)

Kartush Mon 09-Mar-20 12:47:51

We don’t have home delivered milk here where I am and as I am the only person in our house who drinks milk I use cupboard cows and there is definitely no excitement in getting one of those out of the pantry

Nannymarg53 Mon 09-Mar-20 13:15:04

I used to have milk delivered until a few weeks ago when I went away for a week and the stupid milk person kept leaving the bottles on the doorstep even though I’d phoned the depot to tell them I was away! ?‍♀️ So I cancelled the order. I miss it though because it felt like Father Christmas had been 3 times a week! ?

Blindfish50 Mon 09-Mar-20 13:24:13

Littleflo. I've been having milk delivered 4months ago to try and reduce plastic. He usually comes around midnight,before I go to bed. He's very quiet and I always feel irrationally excited to see those shiney white bottles.

NotSpaghetti Mon 09-Mar-20 13:35:33

We stopped our milk delivery when they went into plastic some 6 or 8 years ago.
They had been much more expensive than the supermarket for years which we understood but they also regularly delivered our milk short dated (not many people wanting organic milk in those days). However, because we saw it as a “social good” we continued to support them for a long, long time.

I’m afraid that the move to plastic was the last straw for us. In our area they are still plastic.
If they are not in glass I will unfortunately go on buying from the supermarket.

Molli Mon 09-Mar-20 13:37:00

We have had ours delivered in glass bottles 3 x a week for over a year now. We know it’s a bit more expensive so it is a life style choice but we budget for it. It’s just less than £8 a week for what we order. We treat ourselves sometimes to a good top! Recently I was really poorly with shingles and hubby came off his bike and had trauma to his face and teeth and broke his elbow. For a week neither of us could cope with going out and the extras you could order - loaf of bread, butter and some eggs and juice were a godsend.

Moggycuddler Mon 09-Mar-20 14:02:50

Much cheaper to get it delivered in our weekly online shop. UHT of course. We haven't had milk delivered by a milkman in many years. Wasn't even sure anybody even still did it! We used to get ours pinched or the little silver tops pecked by birds.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Mar-20 14:21:26

I can just remember the milkman who had a horse, called Dobbin, and cart. Sadly Dobbin got past it when I was about three and the milkman bought an electric milk float.

The "bobbin man" had a horse, Jimmy, until we went smokeless and no one wanted his bobbins any more.

They were rejects from the small businesses that made bobbins for Coates mills in Paisley and the English Sewing Factory in Nielston. We used them for lighting fires.

Unfortunately no-one delivers milk here.

Remember the blue-tits pecking holes in the foil covers to get at the milk?

Thisismyname1953 Mon 09-Mar-20 15:20:31

@polnan. Mary Hopkins x

4allweknow Mon 09-Mar-20 15:40:56

A milkman delivers in my area. Next door neighbour has the service and I did consider I should too untilarrivibg home late one night I saw the milkman placing the milk nextdoor. The time was 12 midnight! Don't fancy my milk sitting for 7/8 hours in the summer. Old style deliveries were usually 5/6 am.

LadyKathleen Mon 09-Mar-20 15:51:27

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan. During the late 40s, 50s, and part of the 60s our milk was delivered. There was a little "milk box" near the side door of the house. It was so nice. I really wish there still was milk delivery here. However, as an adult, I've lived in Kentucky, California, Connecticut, and Washington State and delivery service is not available. I'm not sure if it's offered anywhere in the United States. You are all quite lucky!

Lizzies Mon 09-Mar-20 16:28:48

We had our milk delivered for most of our marriage but the milkman got miffed when I kept the 0 tag in the milk bottle box for a long time when DH was in hospital for weeks (I don’t use it). He told me I had to tell him how long I didn’t need it for and I couldn’t, so I cancelled it. Now I am on my own I’m trying to figure out how to have milk for visitors without throwing out nearly a full pint a week after they came!