Gransnet forums

Chat

Irrationally excited about the milk delivery.

(64 Posts)
littleflo Sat 07-Mar-20 12:00:42

We have gone back to having our milk delivered in bottles. It comes 3 times a week and I find myself ridiculously on a high when I bring it in from the doorstep. I can’t explain it, but there is something so costly reassuring about it.

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 16:37:54

For any poster who wondered why I poured slightly going off milk down the sink and didn’t magic up some yoghurt or cheese with it or whip up a batch of scones (!) ......perhaps the fact that I was juggling a full time job and bringing up three children at the time had something to do with it.As well as keeping the house clean and shopping etc.
If all milkmen brought milk to the doorstep between 5 a.m. and 8 there wouldn’t be a problem.

libra10 Mon 09-Mar-20 16:53:53

We had our milk delivered daily until about a year ago when the milkman retired.

Now we buy from the supermarket, and it is about half the price we used to pay the milkman for delivery. (65p a pint then), and probably more expensive now.

Singlegrannie Mon 09-Mar-20 16:58:58

I live alone and don't like milk, think I'm lactose intolerant. I do like a splash in my tea, (plant milks just aren't right) but I drink coffee black and use plant milk for cereal and cooking.
I also have to buy milk in case of visitors and for grandchildren, but I waste a lot ! I wish it was available in small amounts.

GreenGran78 Mon 09-Mar-20 17:18:03

Singlegranny you can freeze left-over milk. If I am going away I always pop mine in the freezer, rather than throw it away. Just make sure there there is room in the bottle for it to expand, or it will pop its top off.

HillyN Mon 09-Mar-20 17:26:57

I don't understand pouring away milk when it can be frozen. We buy from the supermarket and freeze it, just getting out what we need the night before we need it.
I also keep packs of the individual UHT milk 'pots' like you get in hotels, for emergencies/trips away. They could be useful for guests if you don't normally take milk.

HillyN Mon 09-Mar-20 17:29:03

Sorry GreenGran, crossed posts!

dizzyblonde Mon 09-Mar-20 18:07:31

I have milk delivered three times a week, I love leaving for work at 4.45am and being able to bring the milk in before leaving. I also buy loo rolls, kitchen roll, butter, eggs and apple juice from him. I also love the fact that I can adjust the order up to 9pm the night before and that my loo and kitchen rolls are bamboo.

Lizbethann55 Mon 09-Mar-20 19:06:59

We have always had our milk delivered. When we were little mum always had 6 pints a day!! We don't have anything like that many but I love having it delivered. Our milkman comes about 2.00am. During the recent storms we had to play find the empties in the morning as they blew over the garden. We also have to leave empty yoghurt pots for the milkman to put over the top as the magpies peck the tops otherwise. American visitors thought it was brilliant. So long as the bottles stay glass I will keep getting it this way. Should he change to plastic bottles I will be at the supermarket as it is much cheaper.

SunnySusie Mon 09-Mar-20 19:16:01

I have had milk in glass bottles delivered by a milkman my entire life and I wouldnt dream of stopping it. I dont want to drink milk infused with micro-plastic and I would much rather pay my milkman than a giant supermarket chain. I dont remember ever being woken up by any noise and in fact I have no idea what time the milk is delivered. It doesnt seem to go off even though it is organic. I still leave a Christmas card with a tip for the milkman just like my Mum and her Mum before her. I love it that the local dairy is still functioning and providing local jobs.

Ginge51NOW18 Mon 09-Mar-20 19:18:20

We have been receiving it on the door step for the last year, and yes it is a feel good feeling. One thing though that brought back childhood memories. We have to put out a plastic container with lid for the milkman to place our local butter in. The reason...….. birds having their early morning breakfast!

gagsy Mon 09-Mar-20 19:20:47

I love bringing I my milk bottle in the morning. It feels such a comfortable thing to do.
My American granddaughter was amazed and excited to see the milk bottle on the step.

littleflo Tue 10-Mar-20 10:32:17

I am glad I am not alone in the excitement. We made the move as we are trying to use less plastic. We use Milk&More and every week we are trying more of their range. Some is good, some not so good . They support small producers so we do expect to pay a higher price.

Elizabeth1 Tue 10-Mar-20 10:37:45

We’re now having milk delivered in glass bottles also orange juice in a glass bottle what’s also exciting is I’ve ordered 6 fresh eggs here’s hoping I get a pleasing double yokergrin