Gransnet forums

Chat

Who are we really?

(61 Posts)
Artdecogran Mon 09-Mar-20 11:20:33

Having been on forums for a while now, I have noticed that there are a few people who always seem to disrupt a discussion. That led me to wonder if people are who they are purporting to be. After all I could be a 6’8” , 400 pound hairy rugby player aged 22. You would never know. What do you think?

harrigran Mon 09-Mar-20 13:31:42

I am who I am, I don't tell lies and I only give thoughts on medical conditions if I have actually had it or experienced it as a nurse.
Why would anyone create a fantasy and how do they remember what lies they have told ? Surely you would have to have a crib list.
It was a sad time when I felt unable to travel to meet ups.

gillybob Mon 09-Mar-20 13:34:50

I am me (well I was this morning when I last looked in the mirror anyway).

In the past I have met quite a few of the Scottish grans in real life, a few North East grans and one or two Yorkshire grans too.

Pittcity Mon 09-Mar-20 13:39:09

Having met many Gransnetters IRL, including a couple of trips from Essex to Edinburgh, I think that most GNs are a lovely bunch.
The anonymity is both a blessing and a curse.

brook2704 Mon 09-Mar-20 13:49:14

I’m quite new to GN but I am real and nothing is made up - honestly ! ?
I usually just post on the GM thread as it’s the one I feel safest on and it’s been lovely to have so many warm welcomes from lovely established GNetters
I’ve not had chance to meet up with anyone yet but would hope to do that sometime in the future
I really enjoy reading everyone’s posts and feeling like I’m getting to know a few people bit by bit.
Thank you all ?

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 09-Mar-20 14:04:16

I’m real too!
Although I try not to divulge too much info as it’s such a public forum, so I might adjust some bits of info to protect family members. If it’s about me though then , sadly, it’s all true .......
I too stay away from threads that have certain GNers on them, life’s too short to always be arguing with someone that you have never met, are unlikely to meet and might have several GN accounts with different email addresses and therefore different GN names.

BlueSky Mon 09-Mar-20 14:27:23

Oopsadaisy as you say 'Several GN accounts with different email addresses and therefore different GN names' who agree with the obnoxious poster! grin

gillybob Mon 09-Mar-20 14:43:00

Is it really possible to change your own style of posting though?

NannyJan53 Mon 09-Mar-20 16:45:58

I have met a number of Gransnetters over the past 3 years, at Birmingham meet ups. I also attended one in Market Harborough a couple of years ago. So there are a few who know I am real smile

grandMattie Mon 09-Mar-20 22:34:24

Marydoll - unlikely as I have few friends and no close ones. Hope that reassures you!

Scentia Mon 09-Mar-20 22:51:56

I am 100% real and if there are people on here who know me I am sure they wouldn’t find out anything they didn’t already know. There are some posters on here who I would love to meet, they sound so lovely ?

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 22:52:42

grandMattie, I was only joking. You couldn't possibly be my friend, she doesn't know how to use social media.
However, she is the loveliest person, just as I'm sure you are.

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 22:59:26

But how/why do people set up different personas? Once you register, surely your IP address is logged and you won't be able to register again? And, as previously said, we all have a distinctive style of writing,( I know that I use " " a lot); so it would be obvious that someone was being a sock puppet.

I've met a couple of GNetters for coffee irl.

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 23:02:16

Well, Chewy, only they can tell you that and I'm sure they are not going to admit to doing it any time soon.

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 23:08:55

You're right Marydoll, but I'm still puzzled as to how they can set up 2 personas. It wasn't long ago that another poster and I were accused of being one and the same person! Even a message from GNHQ couldn't convince them otherwise!

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 23:20:07

Chewy, there are ways to hide your IP address, so if you are determined enough to do so and wish to create different personae, it can be done.
If you go to those lengths, I suspect your intentions are not entirely honourable. sad.

By they way, I can assure you, I have only one persona, I can hardly remember what I said five minutes ago, let alone spin a web of subterfuge! grin. Then again, this may be a ruse to put people off the track. wink

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 23:26:18

I know you're not a spy Marydoll! grin

Scentia Tue 10-Mar-20 06:22:13

I think your IP address will change every time you log out and then log in to your e mail account. I will google that now I have said it?

Scentia Tue 10-Mar-20 06:24:10

I didn’t quite get the facts right, but it does change regularly!!!!

Sark Tue 10-Mar-20 06:44:11

Brook2704 I could just copy and paste your post!
I only joined to give and receive support, general chatting etc and I enjoy reading about other GNs lives.
I don't get why anyone would create a fantasy

Mythbirtthedragon Tue 10-Mar-20 07:06:07

When I joined GN, I put my ‘real’ name and was advised to change it to protect privacy. Dragon is my family nickname courtesy of DB2, an advance on ‘stinky’. My first niece’s congratulations card from her aunts and uncles named ‘senior sister, dragon, hoolit, saus and slug.

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 07:12:53

Scentia, you are correct about IP addresses.
IP address. An Internet Protocol address (IP address) is a numerical label assigned to each device connected to a computer network.

If you really wanted to have two identities, you could use your mobile phone for one and your PC for another.........I think. ? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Too much palaver for me, I would forget who I was and what device I was on! grin

dragonfly46 Tue 10-Mar-20 07:36:52

I am real as some GNs can verify.

kittylester Tue 10-Mar-20 07:40:20

I know you are real dragonfly as am I!!

vena11 Tue 10-Mar-20 07:43:05

I am real too, cant understand any of this to be honest.. Life is real enough without making another one up .

dragonfly46 Tue 10-Mar-20 07:54:48

Yep I can vouch for kitty and very nice she is too!