Gransnet forums

Chat

Who are we really?

(61 Posts)
Artdecogran Mon 09-Mar-20 11:20:33

Having been on forums for a while now, I have noticed that there are a few people who always seem to disrupt a discussion. That led me to wonder if people are who they are purporting to be. After all I could be a 6’8” , 400 pound hairy rugby player aged 22. You would never know. What do you think?

Anniebach Tue 10-Mar-20 08:42:33

I haven’t met anyone here, I am me

Curlywhirly Tue 10-Mar-20 09:29:53

Yes, I am genuine too! Only recently come to gransnet, and have just had my first experience of a troll on this site ? It never occurred to me that, on a forum so innocent as GN, people might not be who they portray, or that their posts are not genuine. What a very sad occupation, they must lead very boring lives to feel the need to invent another personna or torment people. I really need to be a bit more cynical - but it doesn't come easy!

JenniferEccles Tue 10-Mar-20 09:40:55

I completely agree with you Curlywhirly it’s not a nice feeling at all.

All we can do is to trust our instinct, common sense, life experience along with an awareness of the timings of certain information given.

Lilyk Tue 10-Mar-20 10:19:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawB Tue 10-Mar-20 10:26:47

This is a dreadful post LilyK and whatever the rights and rings or misunderstandings, it completely ignores the genuine sorrow and sympathy many of us felt. Many especially perhaps those of us who have lost a parent, partner or child will have shed tears for someone we may not have known in RL. but warmed to and genuinely liked.
Please do not be so hasty to judge, even in your grief .

Nonnie Tue 10-Mar-20 10:47:26

Well I am 5' 5", size 10, play tennis for the country, have no worries, a perfect family, GC with very high IQs who win at everything, oh and I have perfect hair. If you believe any of that you don't know me grin

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 10-Mar-20 11:17:47

Nonnie we could be twins!

BradfordLass73 Wed 11-Mar-20 05:49:45

I don't really care who people really are.

I take them at face value. 400lb rugby player; ballet dancer, doctor or escapee from the loony bin, it's all totally irrelevant.

Bridgeit Wed 11-Mar-20 09:58:38

Perhaps sites likes this allow us to reveal (unintentionally) a side of personalities that we either hide or do not display in real life .

Anoia Wed 11-Mar-20 10:10:17

Hi, I’m genuine, I was at the Portsmouth meet-up a few weeks ago. The other Nans I met were a lovely lot.