Gransnet forums

Chat

What were you treated with as a poorly child at home?

(229 Posts)
chicken Thu 12-Mar-20 15:33:33

When I wasn't well as a young child, many, many moons ago, my mother's first treatment for me was Langdale's Essence of Cinnamon in hot milk, followed by a bowl of bread and milk---crustless white bread, well buttered, cut in little cubes, boiling milk poured over it and liberally sprinkled with demerara sugar. I still like it today.

Bijou Sun 15-Mar-20 14:58:55

Syrup of figs once a week. Parrishes food, cod liver oil and malt, Scott’s emulsion, vicks vapour rub. My mother used to make a jar of sliced onions in sugar syrup for colds. My daughter had golden eye ointment for styes. At the same time the cat had some type of growth in her throat and was due to be put down, I squeezed some of the eye ointment down her throat and she recovered but lost her meow!

vampirequeen Mon 16-Mar-20 05:56:29

Phantom12.....that's what my mam and grandma used to say grin

JackyB Mon 16-Mar-20 10:37:53

The only thing my Mum kept handy was the blue bag for bee stings. Or was it wasp stings?

We never had cod liver oil or any other regular, preventative "medication", but when I read the words "gripe water" above, I could summon up a taste for it. I think my sister was given it because she was very colicky as a baby.

When we had chicken pox the spots were dabbed with calamine lotion, but it wasn't used at any other time, I don't think. Germolene and Vicks were in the medicine cupboard, but hardly ever came out.

The most dominant smell I remember was of Nivea Oil which we had smeared on to us on the beach. SPF about zero, I should think. All it did was made the sand stick.