Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone want to talk about anything other than *The virus*

(158 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 15:57:01

Nothing in particular I just thought we could have a chat about anything you fancy
So this thread is going to be virus free and can take what ever direction anyone wants
Get your cup of coffee and your biscuit and let’s see where it takes us
I ll start off with a query I ve got a beautiful flowering Amaryllis every year I try and keep the bulb but never have much luck the following year hasanyone got any foolproof methods apart from cool dark place over summer ?

lefthanded Fri 13-Mar-20 17:26:06

@Sar53 I hope you enjoy your weekend as there are still lots of other interesting things to do in Cardiff. Sport cancellations at such short notice cause tremendous problems for businesses. My son manages a restaurant in Cardiff and he has already "staffed-up" and stocked up in anticipation of a busy shift tomorrow. Now that busy shift is unlikely to happen. Meat products have a good shelf-life if kept properly in an industrial refrigerator, but fish and fresh veg are more difficult to keep.

BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 17:38:11

Thank you all so much it’s a breathe of fresh air to talk about other mundane things

Coffee, tea, wine, gin whatever you fancy
Thanks for the amaryllis tips I hope I can get another year out of it it’s been such a beauty the flower heads (2) were huge
I did about half an hour weeding in the garden, it was cold but not too cold
Going to bus to my friends tomorrow and help her with some iPad problems hopefully, and that will include a fish and chip dinner ohh er Sorry to all the dieters I need to join you but I ll start after the fish and chips ???

GabriellaG54 Fri 13-Mar-20 17:42:21

Here's something funny (well, I thought so at the time?)
I have a cordless vacuum cleaner and a few weeks ago made a compete fool of myself when plugging it in to charge.
Plugged the charger in ✔️
Plugged jack into vac stand ✔️
Switched on mains ✔️
After 4 hours full charge, no power. (Light goes off when battery full) ?☹️
Repeated 3 times but light would not go on.
Checked wall socket worked via desk lamp ✔️
After a couple of hours I rang seller and they arranged to pick up 2 days later ✔️
When they returned it, news was that it worked perfectly and I should get electrician to check socket but I knew vac wouldn't charge in any socket I tried.
Following week plugged Pure radio into mains...no dice ?
Rang JL and they agreed to look at it.
Next day I noticed that mains cords for vac and radio were virtually identical and yeah...you guessed it ??????

lemongrove Fri 13-Mar-20 17:45:05

Am increasing my fruit by having a large glass of red wine whilst DH cooks an early dinner.?
Going to watch several episodes this evening of Flesh and Blood which we recorded earlier.
All household chores done today and a relaxing weekend planned.

BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 17:45:26

???I love it when other people are as daft as me
Glad you got it sorted Gabriella

lemongrove Fri 13-Mar-20 17:46:51

I can never get orchids to flower again, I keep them in the conservatory, water every now and again, but they gradually just die off.....any tips?

lemongrove Fri 13-Mar-20 17:47:48

Gabriella ? should have gone to Specsavers!

GabriellaG54 Fri 13-Mar-20 17:52:18

Yes.. I should, that said, without the chargers being side by side you'd never know the difference.
The top is slightly curved on one and straight on t'other and they were in different places. blush

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 17:54:12

SalsaQueen….I'm calorie counting (around 1500 a day) and using My Fitness Pal to record my daily food diary. It all started when DH (he's lost 18lbs) was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. We were told to reduce refined foods and to replace some starchy foods with pulses. So we can still have curries and pasta but by adding chickpeas, aduki beans or other pulses I can bulk out the meal so use less rice, pasta or potatoes.

I've tried cauliflower rice but we didn't like it. Neither did we like courgetti or those very expensive no calorie noodles that the supermarkets sell.

We start the day with porridge. I usually have a salad for lunch with a slice of bread. I ring the changes with the protein so that it doesn't get boring. DH usually has a sandwich and cuppa soup. Our evening meal is just a normal meal really. It might be meat and veg with a 200g jacket potato or a pasta (look at the NHS tomato sauce because it's lovely) or a curry. Normal foods really. We snack on Aldi's low fat Greek yoghurts (taste like Mueller but in one pot and only cost 99p for 4) and lots of fresh fruit. I have discovered that if I cut up the fruit and eat it from a bowl with a fork I actually feel as if I've eaten more. Weird how the mind works lol. We also have Quavers for those 'I really need to eat something nice' moments. Again put them into a bowl and you'll feel as if you've had more.

Auntieflo Fri 13-Mar-20 18:11:41

BlueBelle, what a nice idea.
I have had a beautiful photo sent to me this afternoon, of our GGS, holding aloft the Stickman that I crocheted for him. Our DD and SIL are looking after him this weekend, as his parents are having a weekend away.
Re:- the Amaryllis, this year, for the first time, I am trying to keep mine alive for another year. Fingers crossed.
Sar53, is the Royal Mint in or near Cardiff? I hear it is a fascinating place to visit.

Nonogran Fri 13-Mar-20 18:13:54

I've got arthritic knees but, wait for it, I walked 13,000 steps today. Nearly killed me coming back from my foggy walks (2) but hey, taking Turmeric every day is doing me good it seems. My new Fitbit drives me on plus mind over matter helps!

Nonogran Fri 13-Mar-20 18:15:52

foggy? I meant doggy!

Callistemon Fri 13-Mar-20 18:28:09

My orchids used to flower again and again, lemongrove, I just used to cut them short and leave them, watering ery occasionally.

I reckon they have bred them now to flower just once so that we have to buy new ones!.

Callistemon Fri 13-Mar-20 18:32:36

The Royal Mint and the Royal Mint Museum are at Llantrisant, not far from Cardiff. A very interesting visit, I'm not sure of opening hours and whether or not you have to book in advance for a guided tour.

phoenix Fri 13-Mar-20 18:37:02

Yep, have actually started a totally banal thread about window handles and cats!

BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 18:41:44

pheonix that’s too subtle for me I ve no idea what you mean help me out

rayhansen60 Fri 13-Mar-20 18:46:43

Does anyone here live in the Corby area and would like to chat about the facilities locally ?

Anniebach Fri 13-Mar-20 18:48:20

8 miles from Cardiff is Castel Coch, worth a visit ,when young my daughters were convinced fairies lived there.

And St Fagans National Museum of Wales just outside Cardiff

mumofmadboys Fri 13-Mar-20 18:55:53

I walked near Ullswater today. The sun shone. The scenery was fantastic.
My DH has stopped eating bread, cake, biscuits, beer and chocolate for Lent and also stopped snacks between meals. He has list 6 lbs and looks great ( all off his tummy) I wish I had his discipline!

Lisagran Fri 13-Mar-20 18:58:53

Lovely walk today in a NT place smile

Lisagran Fri 13-Mar-20 19:00:03

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 19:01:12

Well done with the weight loss vampirequeen. Fantastic, you must feel so much better. It's early days for me, 8.5 pounds so far, but at least it's going in the right direction. One lady at our group gets those very sweet cotton candy grapes, and freezes them individually. She can't scoff them quite so fast that way.

BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 19:01:46

Lovely pic so good it posted twice ???

SirChenjin Fri 13-Mar-20 19:06:55

After a busy week at work I’m now looking forward to a night at a pub quiz with friends and a large pink gin or 3. Nothing planned for the weekend - 12 year old DS’s rugby match has been cancelled due to the C word so I’m going to do feck all except potter in the house and garden ???

Wheniwasyourage Fri 13-Mar-20 19:11:33

Never had any success with keeping an amaryllis going, but I had an orchid, which was a present from a friend in 2010, which stayed alive and flowered several times, but then died about a year ago. I haven't been able to bring myself to put it on to the compost heap yet, as I was very fond of it and found it hard to believe that I couln't revive it. It's lurking in the hall and is DEFINITELY a former orchid. sad

Now I've said that, it sounds so silly that tomorrow, the former orchid is going to the compost!