Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(84 Posts)
12Michael Mon 16-Mar-20 06:09:03

Good Morning Everyone,
Its daylight here in Brackley and its dry , looks like maybe spring as started to arrive properly this time.
Today, a quiet day some housework etc, will do my usual trips out as this week.
Mick

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Mar-20 07:31:24

Goodmorning Mick and all x

Blue sky and sunny here in S E Essex, glad you are back safe Sar53 cannot see us Essex Grans meeting up at the moment sad.

Happy Anniversary Sark

Urmstongran your description of solidarity brought a tear to my eyes.

DD is making the decision today whether or not to pull our 5yr old GS out of school as his teacher is self isolating
Spoke to eldest in Africa yesterday, there are no flights in or out as of last night, I felt so sad, they are out there, their teenage daughter is in mainland Europe and is unable to get to them or us. It is getting scary!!!!

Marydoll thinking of you and the wedding plans, Gillybob, Annsixty and others with troubles take care.

Keep safe folks.

kittylester Mon 16-Mar-20 07:32:50

Good morning all from a bright North Leicestershire.

I'm off to the hairdresser this morning. I've thought long and hard about it but decided that I'll feel better if I start being isolated with reasonable looking hair ......it wont be so scary for dh if we start off well either.

One of my co-grannies is coming for brew this afternoon.

Stay safe everyone.

Maybelater2020 Mon 16-Mar-20 07:34:00

Good morning from a bright sunny morning in Cheshire. I hope everyone is keeping safe. I have woken this morning with a streaming head cold so it looks as if I will be self isolating sooner than planned. Maybe some pottering in the garden will clear my head. All I need to do today is cancel a dental appointment, a shame because I really need a filling replaced and was hoping to get it done before this C virus becomes widespread. Ah well I will just have to venture out when my cold has gone.

Urmstongran your experience last night sounds uplifting and made me smile at the strength and resilience we humans have.

Marydoll Mon 16-Mar-20 07:39:01

Good morning all from a sunny, but cold Glasgow, not sure how long the sunshine will last.

I'm off to the dentist and hygienist this morning, nothing more to be said about that! ?
I will try Aldi for some bread flour on the way home, not holding out much hope.

Urmstongran so glad to hear you are remaining positive, I often wonder how you are getting on when I see the empty streets in Spain.
I'm heartbroken to so see pictures of my beloved Rome, this was to be our farewell trip this year. We don't think we will ever see it or our friends again. ?

Yesterday I received a PM from a researcher working for Channel 5 News, asking if myself and my family would like to be interviewed about the effects of the Corona virus. She had posted on this thread, later in the day asking for people to be interviewed. I politely declined, but reported the two posts and two PMs.

She was perfectly polite and upfront, told me she had been on GN for a year. What concerned me was that she must have joined GN, with the purpose of trawling threads, particularly the Good Morning thread for news, not to be part of our community, but specifically to find a story. I wasn't in the least bit surprised, but a bit annoyed that this gentle thread was being used in this way and that I received two PMs from her.

I'm aware that I for one, do give out a lot of drivelinformation on this thread , but I do not reveal the names of my family, my precise location, nor post photos of my children and grandchildren. Anyone could be posing as someone else under the cover of anonymity. Just be cautious, all is not always as it seems.

As for the wedding, more and more guests are dropping out, due to flight bans. I'm trying my hardest to keep DD upbeat, as many of the guests will be 70+. thank goodness DH's 70th brithday will be in June. Phew! ?

Happy anniversary Mr&Mrs Sark, Gillybob, the interior designer and Dragonfly flowers
I know Annsixty reads this thread and sending her (((hug))).

Have a good day, everyone.

MawB Mon 16-Mar-20 07:41:23

Good morning everybody - another bright and sunny Spring morning here in N Bucks
A lovely day with the DDs, SILs and DGCs yesterday, may be the last time I see them for a while ? as they are very aware of the CV risks and medical friends have brought home to them that this is not to be taken lightly. Today’s paper just reinforces the misery doesn’t it? I could drive to visit them but have been “banned” from even thinking about public transport. Ah well, but I do feel we are like “sitting ducks” if /when this virus hits and the effects on our society, lifestyle, the economy and our ACs’ jobs and income are frightening. It’s not just going to blow over is it?
More brew needed!
Wishing you all a pleasant day

mancgirl Mon 16-Mar-20 07:44:15

Good morning from a dull North Costa Blanca. Friends tell us there was cheering in our local town too but we didn't her anything on our mountain. They are going to do it every night at 8pm it seems. What a positive thing to do. Had a nice walk on the beach yesterday before what we thought was lockdown only to be met by 2 lovely young policemen who said we shouldn't be there as lockdown started midnight on Saturday. We apologised, said we thought it was Monday 8am. They smiled back and asked if anyone else was on the beach. Lots we replied. Their faces were a picture at the thoughts of getting everyone off the beach, bearing in mind it's about 7 kilometers long ?. Not a lot of choice of things to do today so cleaning the villa is on the cards. Must admit to feeling apprehensive. Mr manc not soo much. Hope we can fly home next Tuesday. Hugs to all feeling in need of one, me included.

Pantglas2 Mon 16-Mar-20 07:45:16

Morning all from a bright north Wales where I’ve just woken up to a chamberpot of tea from DH - I knew that bacon butty I made him yesterday would pay dividends!

Happy anniversary Sark will there be champers? I am partial if there’s any left......

Friends in Spain sent a video of the clapping last night thanking the medical, retail and emergency services for their efforts - very moving. The shops have been emptied and some friends are hoping to get supplies this morning.

Need to get DH script sometime so will have to pop out, otherwise we’ve both got jobs to do in the garden and will change the bed as well - that always cheers me up!

Take care everyone x

cornergran Mon 16-Mar-20 07:46:58

Morning Mick, morning All. A very welcome blue sky over our corner of Somerset. Faffing today while waiting on a grocery delivery, it seems all is in stock. Hooray (no, didn’t order toilet paper!). With luck Mr C will get the dirt off the car which seems to have changed colour. A very happy anniversary to Mr and Mrs Sark. The current situation is upsetting so many special times for people. Truly difficult for those with planned health care Hope Monday is gentle with us all.

BlueSapphire Mon 16-Mar-20 07:50:29

Good morning all from a bright dry Northampton, which is good to see, as we had heavy rain yesterday.

Rang everyone in our wine group yesterday, and we are all agreed that we should postpone meeting for a while, which is a great relief. We mostly all fall into the age risk category, and a couple of the ladies have heart and breathing conditions, and some of the partners are immuno-compromised. One less thing to worry about. I am also going to phone the dentist this morning and postpone tomorrow's appointment; it is only a check up so not urgent, but I would feel happier putting it off for a while.

Think I may try to get out for a walk in the sunshine later on as I have been indoors all weekend.

Looked at Sainsbury's online yesterday - no delivery slots for the next three weeks! Luckily I had already reserved a slot for this Thursday, so will maybe add a few necessities to it (wine...).

Hoping that we have the best day possible. Thinking of Urmston out in Spain and hope that she gets back ok.

Lins1066 Mon 16-Mar-20 07:52:26

Good Morning Mick and all.
A sunny morning on the S Welsh coast, sheets washed and ready to hang on the line.
Yesterday afternoon turned out dry and bright so we went for a walk, so many families were out doing the same it was like a Bank Holiday.
DH was due to go to the GP for a review of his medication this morning but received a call on Friday afternoon to say that this will be done over the phone this morning, a sensible move.
Happy Anniversary Sark hope you and your DH have a lovely day.
Best wishes to Marydoll, Gilly and all.

BlueSapphire Mon 16-Mar-20 07:53:58

And also that mancgirl gets home without problems as well.

Urmstongran Mon 16-Mar-20 07:54:38

Here’s a hug from me Mancgirl I know how you’re feeling. x

Gingster Mon 16-Mar-20 07:55:30

A beautiful morning on the Suffolk coast. Heading back to Essex today as we have stuff on this week, and family to see. They are concerned about us but should we see them? It’s hard not to. We’ll probably return to suffolk next week and stay for the forseeable. Just have to take one day at a time. It’s better for us up here as we are on the beach with wide empty spaces arou d us, and not many people here to come in close contact with. Best wishes and love to all.

ninathenana Mon 16-Mar-20 07:56:14

Good morning everyone.

Weather looks promising in Kent.
Just checking in, sorry no time to read the thread now.
Have a good day.

GrannySomerset Mon 16-Mar-20 07:56:20

Bright frosty morning in North Somerset as I gear myself up to get DH up and ready to go for his much needed cataract op. Am so glad we have got this arranged before house arrest kicks in because it looks as if elective surgery will be under threat very soon. Elective it may be, but as so many, including annsixty will testify, it is still urgently needed.

Thinking of so many as we enter this strange new world with so much anxiety.

Pittcity Mon 16-Mar-20 07:57:41

Good morning from sunny Colchester. No Walking Netball for the foreseeable as we play at the Uni and they are in semi lockdown. Will have to walk to shops further than our nearest to make up for the missed exercise. We are making up for the cameraderie via WhatsApp.
So glad we've got each other here on GN.

Lins1066 Mon 16-Mar-20 07:57:57

Forgot to say that I had an email over the weekend to say that our U3A has stopped all classes and activities forthwith. Such a shame but inevitable.

Urmstongran Mon 16-Mar-20 07:59:17

X posts thank you BlueSapphire.

Mapleleaf Mon 16-Mar-20 08:00:47

Good morning everyone,
It's beginning to brighten up after a damp start.
A pottering day today. Will give the coffee morning group a miss. I suspect it will stop soon anyway, given the ages of some who attend.
Hope you all have a good day. Keep safe.

Taichinan Mon 16-Mar-20 08:01:13

Good morning everyone from a cloudy Angus coast. There's a lovely pale turquoise sky over the sea but it turns to cloud as it reaches the coast. Happy anniversary Sark and enjoy your wordy card. Urmstongran, that clapping moment will become a memory to be treasured - how lovely. This early morning start for me is part of my sleep cycle - I go for maybe a week when I could sleep for Britain and then a number of nights when sleep becomes a stranger. Did a top-up shop yesterday. Most things were there but the loo roll and eggs shelves were almost clear. I still can't really understand the run on these things, and the loo roll 'shortage' seems to be worldwide! Still not sure when we're going to stop our tai chi classes. Apparently up here we're not going to be locked away (Little Miss Big Fish couldn't possibly go down that road as Boris got in first!) so we have to make up our own minds. It will be interesting to see how many turn up this week - with their own mugs for coffee break! I shall go in early armed with wipes for door and flush handles. Anyway, the longer we can keep classes going the better. Have the best day you can everyone and ? to all who are poorly x

Marydoll Mon 16-Mar-20 08:03:41

We have been advised not to attend church if we are vulnerable or over seventy.
The majority of people , who are very active in our parish during the week, are over seventy and many have health problems. The daily visits to church are very important socially for them and their emotional and mental wellbeing, as they live alone. I'm really concerned about them.

Doorstop Mon 16-Mar-20 08:13:23

Hope all goes well with the op GrannySomerset

Curlywhirly Mon 16-Mar-20 08:25:05

Good morning from a bright, dry Cheshire. Had little DGS for sleepover, unfortunately, he woke up quite a few times looking for his dummy, but luckily he did drop off to sleep straight away after I retrieved it for him. Urmstongran what a lovely gesture the clapping was, I got quite emotional reading your post. Off to Mums n Tots with him, but do wonder if it will carry on or will this be the last?

Welcome Doorstop to this lovely thread, and to all others that have recently joined it. Hope you all have a good day.

Harris27 Mon 16-Mar-20 08:29:11

Good morning from bright day In the NE. I’m off to work at 11 for how long I really don’t know but the thought of being in lockdown sort of terrifies me. DH keeps telling me it won’t happen but... well have the best day everyone and happy anniversary sark, keep well.

Taichinan Mon 16-Mar-20 08:31:33

I agree with you Marydoll - they (we) are the ones for whom social contact is most vital. It's trying to find some sort of balance in all this - between mental and emotional health, and physical health. It's why I want to keep classes going for as long as possible .......