Gransnet forums

Chat

No wine in what is probably our last Sainsbury delivery!!!

(105 Posts)
Mbra12 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:24:41

Well now I am taking this very seriously. I laughed about the loo roll and baked beans but no wine is one step too far. ?

Pikachu Thu 19-Mar-20 21:29:42

Tesco cancelled my online delivery today. Issues at the store they texted. No offer to send it out later. Next door neighbour said the sane thing happened to her yesterday.

Missfoodlove Thu 19-Mar-20 21:30:41

This will make you Smile. m.youtube.com/watch?v=1gileCn1Yko

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Mar-20 21:57:07

Oh, b****r, Pikachu, I’ve got a Tesco online order coming on Tuesday. Or maybe I haven’t...... sad

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 22:24:54

I had a Waitrose order this morning - nothing earth shattering but I thought worth a try. More than half the items were unavailable so it was hardly worth it!
My local village shop (empty and I kept my gloves on) helped out with Marigolds, Dettol wipes and loccal honey.

merlotgran Thu 19-Mar-20 22:32:55

Sainsburys due tomorrow morning. Not holding out much hope. The home made plum wine (sur lie) won't hold out much longer.

At this rate I'll be inventing home made wine from a pair of old curtains!

Smileless2012 Thu 19-Mar-20 22:35:10

If manage it merlotgran, will you share the recipe?

merlotgran Thu 19-Mar-20 22:42:04

Definitely, Smileless. Would you prefer white, red, rosé, or sludge? grin

Chewbacca Thu 19-Mar-20 22:55:06

I've still got bottles of red, white, rose, sherry and champagne unopened from Christmas! If I hang onto it a bit longer it might become bargaining chips against loo roll!

Fennel Fri 20-Mar-20 12:33:33

Or sell it off at vastly increased price and make yourself a fortune smile.

merlotgran Fri 20-Mar-20 13:28:31

Sainsburys have delivered our order and it's nearly all there!! I feel so relieved because it will have to last three to four weeks.

There was no loo roll or anti-bac soap but then I wasn't really expecting there to be. No yeast or gf bread flour, no garlic and no tinned tomatoes. That's all that was missing so we've been very lucky.

Some of the substitutions were 'interesting' so quite nice to have new products to try.

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Mar-20 22:49:41

That gives me hope for my Tuesday Tesco delivery, merlotgran. smile I’ve just been online to amend the order, found that ten items of the thirty or so are unavailable, but added some others that may or may not come. The thing that made me smile was that I’d ordered five carrots and it had been downgraded to three (the maximum allowed).

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Mar-20 22:58:40

With a view to clearing up the leftover Christmas booze, btw, I’ve just enjoyed a glass of sherry (usually only drunk on Christmas Day while making the dinner, in remembrance and imitation of my dear mum). When I checked the label it said it should be drunk within 7 days of opening. No ill effects so far....

janipat Fri 20-Mar-20 23:07:59

That made me smile Maggiemaybe my mum used to have a glass of sherry while preparing and cooking the Christmas dinner. When she came to us I'd join her in a sherry. Haven't drunk sherry in years but I may buy a bottle in memory of mum. Thanks for the info it doesn't appear to go off.........

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Mar-20 23:23:59

Fingers crossed, janipat. grin

Smileless2012 Fri 20-Mar-20 23:30:24

Red is preferable merlotgran but definitely no sludge.

Oooh Chewbacca I'll come round with a few loo rolls and see if we can do a dealgrin.

It is alcohol Maggiemaybe; how bad can the side effects be!! But do check in tomorrow so we know you're OK.

merlotgran Fri 20-Mar-20 23:38:41

We have some silver birch trees so DH has suggested Birch Sap Wine.

My reply was, 'Off you go, then'

I remember a few years ago making some maple syrup from our scots pine trees because Kirstie Allsop did it on one of her 'crafty' programmes. It was grey sludge and tasted like loo cleaner (not that I drink it) so it went down the loo.

But if things carry on in this vein, you never know what we'll resort to chez merlot

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:47:19

We'll all come round to yours, Chewbacca, bringing our own glasses, wearing gloves and keeping the required distance apart as we knock back your wine.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:47:58

I'll bring a pack of four loo rolls

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Mar-20 23:55:06

If the pack in my Tesco order arrives, Callistemon, I’ll have 9 to bring. Not that I’m bragging or anything. I’d better hire a security guard to come along with me.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 00:15:40

That's probably worth two glasses of champagne!

bobbydog24 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:06:08

I’m 73 years young, active but with type 2 diabetes so in vulnerable catagory. My granddaughter developed a cough a week ago and as I pick her up from school I have to isolate anyway for 2 weeks, as does my daughters whole family. I tried to book a delivery online last night and there is nothing available for the foreseeable future. I have read on the internet about people booking weekly deliveries for weeks and one delivery driver who took 24 boxes to one house. If people who are able to get to the shops, shopped for what they needed and left slots for people who can’t get there because they are following the rules and not jeopardising others peoples safety or can’t get there because they are working long hours, we would be able to get what we need. Just over a week ago I was in my local supermarket getting my usual shopping with no problems, since then I’ve seen on the tv people buying dozens of items of food and toiletries, far more than they’ll ever need, depriving others of the one item they need. In all my years I have never seen so much greed and selfishness.

Annsan Sat 21-Mar-20 09:10:33

It is in my view too much to expect hard working delivery people to carry heavy bottles of wine when essentials are tricky to get hold of. Let’s get real!

Lancslass1 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:18:03

You are fortunate to get a delivery slot.
There is none ( correct grammar although it sounds incorrect as none is “not one” ) available for any of the Supermarkets where I live.
If we oldies are supposed to self isolate how do we get our provisions?
Yes, Supermarkets are opening their doors early for the elderly .
Fine for a 70 year old perhaps but those who are older are not going to want to go to crowded places and may not have the means to go there anyway.

I realise that you are trying to lighten the mood Mbra12
What is annoying me is that I have run out of tonic water .
I have some gin.
Also have a bottle of Arran malt whisky my son has given me for a Mothering Sunday.
Should last a few days!

Twopence Sat 21-Mar-20 09:22:14

Can't get alcohol based hand sanitizer so was hoping for wine to work from inside out!!!

Americanpie Sat 21-Mar-20 09:23:09

What is home delivery? You should try living on the west coast of Scotland! Only two supermarkets to choose from, the Co-Op and Morrison's, neither deliver. Well the Co-Op does but you need to go into store and select your own shopping and if you spend enough it gets dropped off. I cannot believe all the moans re no wine or gin etc. You lucky people. Stay safe all.