Gransnet forums

Chat

Toilet rolls

(35 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Fri 20-Mar-20 19:22:13

Am I thick or something what’s the reason folks are buying up toilet rolls yes I know the purpose of toilet rolls but why why why?

lemongrove Fri 20-Mar-20 21:38:42

ananimous.....there is a fine line between stockpiling and panic buying!
Both involve overflowing trolleys and lack of goods for others.
At last, supermarkets are doing some restricting of food and toiletries, so when the shelves are restocked, goods will go to all....we hope!

ananimous Fri 20-Mar-20 22:48:24

A family of four self isolating shopping for 2 weeks times the whole country = empty shelves in no time - I don't buy the line about panic buying, it's blamey, and even if I did: saying so will only encourage others to stockpile more out of fear.

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 23:59:19

Just noticed this in MailOnline. Confirmation of my upthread post.

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 07:48:04

GagaJo stress and worry can lead ones body to mimic the symptoms one is worried about - and you have had a very stressful week.

Abnuyc123 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:54:43

It was a quiet Monday morning in September 2053, when John woke up. He needed the loo but for John this wasn’t just another day. This was the day he would open the last package of toilet paper his parents bought in 2020. ?

eazybee Sat 21-Mar-20 08:04:03

I don't monitor my use of toilet paper, (why would I) but I do wonder how much some people use in a week to necessitate all this panic buying.
I bought a pack of nine rolls and a had a pack of four two weeks ago; neither have been opened and I am using the rolls already in place in my loos, about three in each. I think about a roll lasts at least a week, but there is only me, no visitors at present, but equally I am not using any facilities elsewhere. Something to check to pass the time?
The point of this long and probably boring thread is to wonder what general household consumption is, and why the panic buying, discounting medical needs and families with young children.
Perhaps sheets of paper need to be held in Miss's cupboard and handed out as they were in the days of school outdoor toilets!

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 08:04:17

grin

Laughterlines Sat 21-Mar-20 08:08:02

Maybe people tear off a sheet and use it as a nose wipe so avoids buying tissues as well. Who knows. Heard somebody has £900 of toilet tissue. That should last them until 2197 I would think. It will settle down soon as the hoarders won’t need or have space for any more. Noticed everybody was buying beer from shop near me yesterday. They will all be alcoholics soon. That’s the next thing folks will hoard. Nice but not a necessity so we should be OK

Lovetopaint037 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:37:54

My grandson has been travelling with his girl friend in Vietnam and on the family chats via what’s app he mentioned they didn’t use toilet paper there. Apparently there is a water spray/gush that comes out of the wall. Also I read about midwives advising new mums to sit on the toilet, lean back as far as poss and pour a container of water over themselves. To think that I used to take toilet paper for granted.