Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a favourite mug?

(33 Posts)
NanKate Sat 21-Mar-20 15:18:22

I have a lovely small mug I bought at the Ashmolean Museum Shop in Oxford which I use for a good strong Italian coffee.

I have a number of Art Deco style mugs for my tea.

In the morning I have a Moutain Warehouse tin mug to keep the tea warm.

I have some smart mugs if visitors come.

What about you ?

jdga Sun 22-Mar-20 03:12:38

Oh yes, I thought it was just me who did that, lol.
(& I change out the “visitor use” ones for Summer, Autumn & Christmas themes - the mug cupbrd is quite crowded, lol)

Nana3 Sun 22-Mar-20 09:44:22

All my mugs are my favourites, my cupboard is full of them. I buy them at concerts, on holiday and days out. I have one I made myself and some from my parents house. Every cuppa has a memory.
Visitors have their own plain matching mugs, mmm that must say something about me ?!
Nice thread NanKate.

NanKate Sun 22-Mar-20 15:47:13

I am glad you are enjoying the thread Nana3. I have a special large mug that belonged to my favourite Auntie.

Gagajo my son writes for Penguin Books and they gave him a Penguin mug however he doesn’t drink hot drinks so he just puts pencils in it. When life returns to normal you should be able to get an extra mug from Waterstones.

Gulligranny it will be good when we can meet up in JL again for a coffee in one of their white cups and saucers. ☕️☕️

CherryCezzy Sun 22-Mar-20 16:40:00

My favourite mug to drink coffee out of is my "strawberry thief" bone china mug and my favourite to drink tea out of is my china mug with the words "sunshine, friends and laughter always welcome" but my out & out favourite is a china mug with the words "my mind not only wonders ... sometimes it leaves completely" on it. It's my favourite mug because it is actually true. I can't use it to drink from because the handle broke off but I couldn't bear to part with it so now it's on the sill in the downstairs bathroom with a plant in it.

sodapop Sun 22-Mar-20 17:13:58

Made me chuckle Beechnut sounds like my daughter.

I don't like thick mugs either, I have a china one with different breeds of dog on it which is my favourite.

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 05:40:21

I bought this mug a few years ago at Whittakers Tea and Coffee shop on The Strand (when we still travelled overseas).

Used it for morning latte not for two previous cups of tea though, until one day OH noticed it had a fine crack.sad

Daughter also loved this as she has a black and a ginger cat.

Tried to buy another on line but no luck

Relegated to a hook in the corner just for looks now.

JackyB Mon 23-Mar-20 07:11:37

We have quite a few souvenir mugs, some from the kids' universities, and many from Christmas markets.

I don't know if it's the same on Christmas markets in the UK but if you buy cocoa, punch or mulled wine in Germany, you pay a deposit on the mug. You get it refunded on return, but we have often kept them. It is actually not quite legal but some of them have not only "Weihnachtsmarkt (Name of town) " on them, with a picture of the town's main landmark or logo, but also the year!

We have Heidelberg, Ulm, Bonn, Mannheim, Speyer, Augsburg.

None are singled out for a particular drink or time of day, though, or even a particular person.