Gransnet forums

Chat

Perhaps Boris is not the best person........

(242 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 24-Mar-20 11:03:18

.........to be broadcasting the announcements about coronavirus measures.

We know him as someone with scant regard for the truth and his manner of delivery is bumbling. He lacks gravitas. I wonder if some of the idiots who have ignored all the rules just dismiss what he is saying because it is him saying it. There are strong feelings about him.

Might be better if the CMO were to deliver these rules.

Manmar2 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:07:15

Oh don’t be ridiculous he is the Prime Minister like it or not.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:07:22

He is an elected Prime Minister, he should and is delivering the news.
When Medical is given, the Medical advisers are there.
Idiots will ignore the news whoever delivers it , in fact they probably don’t even watch the news.

pinkquartz Tue 24-Mar-20 11:09:33

I agree he is not a leader and not a good role model and I don't like the CMO much either.

There was an amazing female Professor on Chnnel 4 news a few nights ago.
I have forgotten her name
Does anyone remember it?
I thought she was very good and she pointed out that there are people here who have studied pandemics and epidemics for years. Why hasn't the PM turned to these ones instead of the daft Herd immunity "modelling"

jaylucy Tue 24-Mar-20 11:09:47

I must admit that I have been pretty annoyed all along by the way he makes announcements as if it was a joke or he was still back in public school and one has to make light of things in font of one's pals!
Certainly I feel that the way he has spoken hasn't helped some people believe that it isn't as serious as it actually is.
What about this keeping 6 feet between you and the next person? He certainly doesn't practice what he preaches - only a couple of feet between him and his experts and a room full of journalists packed in what is obviously a smallish room!

pinkquartz Tue 24-Mar-20 11:10:44

While there are those who would take no notice anyway....leaving airports open and other mixed messages haven't helped

Luckygirl Tue 24-Mar-20 11:18:05

We cannot ignore the strength of feeling there is about him - we need to do everything and anything to get the public to take the rules seriously.

May7 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:18:39

I get an actual pain in my chest as soon as he appears (I know this is psychosomatic) but he just seems to think people will do as he says because he thumps the table in a Churchillian way. I'd much prefer to listen to our experts. I'm not making any political points I just want him to get off my TV screen so I can concentrate on the instructions being
given

gillybob Tue 24-Mar-20 11:19:15

I think he’s doing a brilliant job under the worst circumstances I just wish he would gee the civil service staff up to get this job retention scheme up and running ASAP .

Romola Tue 24-Mar-20 11:28:00

I am trying to get over my urge to turn off the tv when he comes on. I have been angry with him about Brexit for nearly 4 years now. But he is for better or worse the PM in this time of crisis and whatever we think of him as a person, we have to accept that his is the face of the diktats which are coming our way.

Atqui Tue 24-Mar-20 11:29:30

I don’t like Boris but I see nothing wrong with his presentation and I actually feel very sorry for him.Anyone who aspired to be PM recently must be thanking the universe for appointing him instead of them.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:31:47

It doesn't have to be the PM does it? Remember the guy who kept us up to date during the Falklands invasion? He just gave facts and it maybe that's what we need ... or not.

12Michael Tue 24-Mar-20 11:34:12

With his Gobbledegook talk , he does not project his voice to the back of the class so to speak.
He would better as a game show panalist than an MP those TV shows he appeared on have made him what he is .
Jeremy Corbyn has a stronger voice than him , It needs a Maggie Thatcher style of leader .
Mick

NanKate Tue 24-Mar-20 11:36:45

BJ ?

Juliet27 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:36:50

Well said Atqui

jane1956 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:43:34

He is doing a splendid job in dreadful circumstances, we need to listen and do as suggested. I would guess when Churchill was delivering his daily radio broadcasts some would not agree with it all. Would anyone here want the job??? I think not

Rosalyn69 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:58:46

I don’t like Boris either but I shudder to think how it would have been with Mr Corbyn in No 10.
Being PM at the moment must be the job from hell. Let’s hope Boris stays well or we will have Dominic Raab

MawB Tue 24-Mar-20 11:58:47

Isn’t this like cutting off your nose to spite your face?
Whether we like BJ or not, whether we like his style or not, or whether we think he is less than 2 m away from his fellow spokesmen or not (probably not) is irrelevant.
It is not the messenger we need to heed, but the message.

suziewoozie Tue 24-Mar-20 12:06:53

pink Professor Helen Ward - she’s brilliant.* Luckygirl* is spot on. Trump is the elected POTUS and has yet to say anything that deserves respect. BJ is better but it’s a low bar isn’t it? Everything BJ has done so far has been too little, too late. But going back to OP, he has no gravitas, no dignity, has been a well documented liar in every job he’s ever done. ( having been sacked twice for such behaviour) and has lied and cheated through his personal life. He must be furious that this latest job isn’t working out as he wished and that for once in his pathetic little life, he might actually have to take responsibility for his actions and decisions.

Last nights statement is unravelling around him

suziewoozie Tue 24-Mar-20 12:08:03

Maw many find it impossible to separate the message from the messenger.

GrannyLaine Tue 24-Mar-20 12:09:11

His task is thankless, unprecedented and he must be working round the clock. He has been clear and consistent in the briefings and has responded to a rapidly evolving emergency situation. This is not the time to be pontificating about who might or might not be better for the job: it's not going to happen. We all need to get behind him and save our wittering about his appearance, his public speaking style and his mannerisms and start listening to the message as MawB quite rightly says

Ellianne Tue 24-Mar-20 12:10:54

Exactly, the message is far more important than he who delivers it. Some people will follow Boris' advice from the lectern, others will take heed when they receive the texts in black and white.
Maybe her Majesty will add her weight to the plea soon?

Chewbacca Tue 24-Mar-20 12:13:19

Absolutely right Maw; I don't care what Boris looks like, sounds like or dresses like. All I care about is that he delivers us facts on how we can survive this. And so far, he has. I don't particularly like the man but I can't fault how he's addressed this situation so far. I reckon he's making a better fist of it than Corbyn would ever have done.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-Mar-20 12:14:44

I really do not care if they roll out Muffin The Mule to deliver the Message I just want people to adhere to it #stayhomesavelives

Chewbacca Tue 24-Mar-20 12:15:14

many find it impossible to separate the message from the messenger.

Spot on suziewoozie; that's exactly why Corbyn got nowhere.