Gransnet forums

Chat

If I weren't here.....

(120 Posts)
trisher Sun 29-Mar-20 11:36:04

Here's a thread to take you out of your house or whereever you are socially distancing yourself. You need to imagine where you would be if you were free, as much detail as posssible helps. In our imagination we can go wherever we like.
So if I weren't here I would be in Tavira in Portugal. I have just left my hotel (the unaffordable ex-convent) and I am walking down to the main square where I will sit and order a coffee, possibly with a Portugese custard tart. After my coffee I will take the little train out to the ferry and take the ferry over to Tavira Island where I will walk on the empty beach and swim in the blue sea.
There now where are you?

Missfoodlove Sun 29-Mar-20 14:35:08

Trisher, this time last year I was in Tavira, we took a private launch from the town to the beach/island and walked the length of the beach over the bridge to Santa Luzia for wine and cake then finally back to town.
The beach (pictured) was deserted.
We were due to fly out on 15/4. Our son and fiancé should have been flying there today?.
Tavira is where I wish to be too, just perfect!

Lucca Sun 29-Mar-20 14:36:03

We were in Portugal last year and visited Tavira and the ferry etc where grandson just 2 wriggled to try and fall overboard

TerriT Sun 29-Mar-20 14:38:13

What a brilliant thread Trish. In the situation it is good to think of positive things both behind us and in front of us. So I plan on marking a list of some of the destinations mentioned that appeal to me and make a time plan of when I can go once this is over.

blossom14 Sun 29-Mar-20 14:38:16

I would be on the beach in Peschichi on the Gargano in Italy wondering if I had enough energy in my legs to climb the myriad steps up to the village and enjoy a seafood lunch.

boheminan Sun 29-Mar-20 15:00:20

...Lovely to meet you in the bluebell woods Juliet27sunshineflowers

hulahoop Sun 29-Mar-20 15:18:16

I would be walking past lake Garda on my way to the shops with my oh we may stop at one of the beach bars and have a cool drink in the shade and spend some time people watching . Hopefully the market will be on for us to wander round and we could maybe treat ourselves??

SalsaQueen Sun 29-Mar-20 15:42:56

I'd be in Porec, Croatia. I'd leave my hotel, which is surrounded by woods and parkland, noticing the black squirrels on the ground. Through the hotel grounds, to get the little tourist train to the town. It passes through the woods, past the man-made bathing platforms which are situated next to the beach, passing lovely little bars and cafes. Once at the terminus, I'd get off and stroll around the market stalls, looking at the posh boats in the marina.

I love it there and have been 3 times before.

Yiayia4 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:56:24

We'd be on our old sailing boat sailing round the beautiful Ionian Sea to the next island,maybe seeing Dolphins and flying fish.
The wind in our hair the sun on our backs looking forward to dinner in a small harbour side taverna. Yamas

MiniMoon Sun 29-Mar-20 16:13:12

I'd be in Limone on the shores of Lake Garda. Watching the sailboarders in the distance, and soaking up the glorious Italian sunshine.
If I couldn't be there, I'd be sailing across Lake Bled to ring the bell in the little church on the island there. Or perhaps taking a stroll around the lake, watching out for the squirrels scampering up the trees.

mrswoo Sun 29-Mar-20 18:38:28

I’d be in Olhos de Agua on the Algarve in Portugal. I’d be sitting in a little cafe sipping an ice cold glass of wine (oh what a cliche!!) looking out to sea and watching the world go by. I’d feel happy and relaxed to be in one of my favourite places on earth. Ahh if only it were true.

trisher,misslovefood and lucca - shall we meet-up in Tavira later??

mrswoo Sun 29-Mar-20 18:41:21

Oops it’s missfoodlove - think trying to stick to Slimming World has got the better of me. Apologies for getting your name wrong.

trisher Sun 29-Mar-20 19:02:15

Oh yes please mrswoo stroll across the bridge and a niice glass of cold white wine.

Curlywhirly Sun 29-Mar-20 19:12:55

I'd be in Bellagio, Lake Como with my whole family. I would be having a glass of chilled white wine and a plate of big fat olives in garlic and lemon. We would then be whisked via speed boat to Villa Oleandra, Laglio, George Clooney's holiday home on the Lake. When we arrived, our lovely friends and their families and all my Italian relatives would also be there. There would be a BBQ, the sun would be shining, it would be very hot and all the children would be swimming and playing in the pool. Just as the day was finishing, George would arrive (with his family) and insist that we stay the night in his gorgeous villa. Well one can dream!!!

GranEd Sun 29-Mar-20 19:22:45

I’d be in Orlando going to the theme parks and enjoying all the rides.
I’m usually one of the oldest in the queue so I’d be having a little chuckle at the worried faces round me as people wonder if the ‘poor old soul’ realises she’s lining up for a rollercoaster rather than the toilets/food court/wheelchair hire!! ?

Missfoodlove Sun 29-Mar-20 19:52:03

Mrswoo, that would be lovely?I was sitting in the roof top bar at the Maria Nova this time last year, pre dinner drinks then a walk to a lovely restaurant by the river.
So lucky we had such a fabulous time there, so yes Trisher, lucca, mrswoo and missfoodlove!!! What a quartet???

cornergran Sun 29-Mar-20 20:14:42

Sitting on a boat between Tenby and Caldey Island on a warm, still, sunny morning watching Tenby disappear and looking forward to a day walking on Caldey. We’d stop for coffee, walk to the lighthouse, sit for a while. Enjoy the views, walk back slowly visiting the chapel, post the grandchildren a card. After a late lunch a gentle stroll on the pristine beach, perhaps a paddle before a relaxed trip back to Tenby. Bliss.

cornergran Sun 29-Mar-20 20:19:24

Forfeit this, too chilled out smile<<

cornergran Sun 29-Mar-20 23:10:52

Oops. Forgot not forfeit. Third time lucky smile.

May7 Mon 30-Mar-20 01:48:24

If I weren't here I'd be in Skiathos. On a the beach called Agi Eleni, watching the fiery sunset sinking on the horizon with DH in the beach taverna. We'd be sharing a Greek meze and a carafe or five two of chilled wine and listening to the waves gently lapping on the shore from the emerald sea. But hey I'm not so that's ok too. I'm safe and counting my blessings. There's always next year

fatgran57 Mon 30-Mar-20 02:33:25

I would be sitting at a sidewalk cafe in Paris thinking to myself what wonderful places I have been to over the last 10 years and how fortunate I was to have to see some of the world's great museums and art galleries.

How lucky I have been and how much I have to look back on.

Txquiltz Mon 30-Mar-20 02:41:03

I would sit in my garden in Hampshire from the time we lived in the U.K. There would be the sound of grazing cattle nearby, a rather opinionated raven fussing at me, the sweet smell of grass and brightly colored baskets of flowers hanging near the door. Add btright sunshine and it would be perfect.

grannyactivist Mon 30-Mar-20 03:48:38

I would shepherd my whole extended family through the gardens of our big (rented) house down to the beach on the shores of the Helford River, just at the inlet of Port Navas Creek. Having set up 'base' with the family I would watch the adults sail, kayak, windsurf, snorkel and swim whilst the grandchildren explore rock pools, holding onto Great Grandma's hand and have their finds patiently explained to them by Great Grandpa. After a picnic lunch (prepared earlier) I'd climb in a boat and be sailed to Frenchman's Creek by my lovely husband and we'd reminisce about the first time he took me there thirty five years ago.

Getting back to 'our' beach we would have a barbecue and all play beach games (with lots of laughing and banter) until the light begins to fade and then we'd return to the house, put the children to bed and relax easily together with a glass of wine and a cheeseboard.

I have been blessed to have enjoyed many, many days with my family like that - and I hope there will be many more to come. smile

okimherenow Mon 30-Mar-20 10:48:51

I'm researching Tavira
Thank you

Lulu16 Mon 30-Mar-20 10:54:18

I would be with my family on the Cornish beach where I spent my childhood. I left Cornwall many years ago but it is always in my heart.
We would be looking in rock pools and finding little tiny yellow shells on the shingle. The sound of the waves would be heard as the tide comes in over the warm sand. We would be looking at the ships and yachts in the bay. May even have a pasty for lunch. Sadly I am over 300 miles away from my 93 year old Mum who never left Cornwall.

Madwoman11 Mon 30-Mar-20 10:57:12

Thank you Trisha for your uplifting post ❤