Gransnet forums

Chat

Lazybones or just bone idle?

(71 Posts)
Luckylegs Sun 05-Apr-20 19:59:16

You all seem so busy, doing gardening, knitting, painting etc etc. After the first few days of sorting cupboards out and good intentions, I’ve come to a stop. I’ve done four weeks of isolation already due to a cough and cold after being retired for 15+ years, so I’m done with doing all that I can do. Everyone seems so busy and I just feel too tired and fed up to be bothered doing anything. I think I must be of a naturally lazy disposition but all I want to do is sitting reading my iPad.

We should have been on holiday now and I can easily sunbathe while reading books or on my iPad for hours every day as I always feel I’m ‘busy’ because I’m sunbathing as well!

My house is clean, I’ve sorted and cleaned quite a lot of cupboards and drawers but I’m not particularly bothered about doing anything else. I do need to get interested in gardening or painting or something but how do you motivate yourself? Is anyone else like this or am I the laziest b....r around?

Craftycat Mon 06-Apr-20 11:24:03

I do go for a walk most days & I have cleaned out cupboards & shelves in kitchen but I too am very happy to read in the garden all afternoon. ( Reading the new Hilary Mantel- not a cheerful read for these times TBH but very good)
If DH clears his stuff off the dining room table I will get my paints out later this week & have a play.
I'm not bored really (yet) & keeping in touch with family & friends by phone & email.
Missing DGC like the rest of us.

MiniMoon Mon 06-Apr-20 11:37:00

Is something wrong with me? I'm never bored. I can sit for hours just doing nothing. I am not lazy or lethargic. I can do hours of housework when I feel, or see the need.
I am missing seeing the family, but I do have DH around more than usual, so have someone to talk to.
As long as I have my books, crochet, phone and tablet and the wonderful Alexa I am content.

polnan Mon 06-Apr-20 11:38:08

me? lack of concentration I think. bored,, yes, frustrated yes.

but now going down, getting depressed
just heard a dear friend from our church who was in hospital with really bad things, now has the virus..

so not good here at all..

pensionpat Mon 06-Apr-20 11:39:49

We’ve slipped into a relaxed (lazy) pleasant routine. It’s like living in Groundhog Day. I’m saving some ironing for tomorrow. That will ring the changes.

inishowen Mon 06-Apr-20 11:47:14

I drift through the days with knitting, reading, computer, TV, some housework, phoning family and friends. I want to get out in the garden but it's been very cold here in Ireland. My big project is going through our old family papers and photos. This morning I managed to throw away the sympathy cards from when my gran died in 1973.

Coconut Mon 06-Apr-20 11:47:46

My enthusiasm waxes and wanes daily re choosing “stuff” to do. I made a list of everything that I should be doing, then I aim to cross at least one thing off per day, it’s working so far !

Bakingmad0203 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:57:11

I’ve adopted this as my theme tune!

Google “the busy doing nothing song”

Sorry tried to copy the link but couldn’t

Moth62 Mon 06-Apr-20 12:05:34

Just a thought for those of us clearing out. Something I started doing last year - when I could finally face sorting through all the boxes of stuff from my mum’s house (she died ten years ago!!) - was to create a Memorabilia photo album on my phone. I took photos of old tickets, theatre programmes, school stuff, cards and anything I felt really needed to be thrown out. This way, you keep the memory but not the clutter.

Granny23 Mon 06-Apr-20 12:07:22

My DD currently working from home has taken her 2 x weeks pre booked annual leave to coincide with the school holidays. She and her DH and daughter have the tent up in the garden, are dining alfresco, have put up the swingball, ect and are having treasure hunts as well as getting the fruit and veg garden/greenhouse planted up as the mood takes them. DGD says she is having the best time ever and will remember this as one of the happiest times of her life.

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 06-Apr-20 12:19:37

Like many of you how I feel changes from day to day. I live on my own although family and friends near and I'm lucky in that. I enjoy my own company and have lots of craft projects on the go and i love reading and have a pile of books! I normally work in a care home but am in a vulnerable group so have been self isolating since mid march. Initially i was obsessed with news and info,that has now reduced by about 90%. Some days I'm very busy,chores,craft work. Other days i feel i just drift through the day. Today i heard that the care home I work in had 2 confirmed cases and quite a few suspected. I feel sorrow for the residents,and maybe staff I will never see again I worry about my daughter who also works in a care home.
All I can suggest is change rooms if you can,if you mainly watch tv listen to the radio or a podcast. Do what you can,try and keep a basic routine. I'm very aware my concentration can be terrible! Above all else be gentle with yourself!

Aepgirl Mon 06-Apr-20 12:20:27

Yes, there’s only so much cleaning, gardening, clearing out that you can do. I’m having a week off, then starting again, much more slowly. This situation is going to last a long time so it’s important to pace yourself. Don’t feel guilty.

GrannySomerset Mon 06-Apr-20 12:39:49

Having changed one bed, linen washed and out on the line, cleaned the bathrooms fairly thoroughly and mastered emptying new vacuum cleaner.I have done today’s jobs (apart from meals). Maybe watch film on BBC2 this afternoon as a reward. Have realised that not trying to do everything in one day is definitely the way to go.

jocork Mon 06-Apr-20 12:42:13

I'm struggling to motivate myself. I'm supposed to work from home but apart from keeping in touch with a couple of students I'm buddy to, all I have to do is online training courses. It seems a bit pointless as I'm due to retire in the summer, but I feel I have to show willing as I'm being paid to do it! It seems I'll get myself some new qualifications I'll probably never use! Meanwhile I feel guilty if I do things I enjoy doing even though it is far better use of the time.

Camsnan Mon 06-Apr-20 12:48:55

LUCKYLEGS we live with my daughter and she is always doing something plus working from home. She keeps saying that it is a lovely day outside. I have to close my door so she can’t see me reading! Both her and I have a lot of health problems and myDH has dementia and anxiety and can’t/won’t do anything.

Lesley60 Mon 06-Apr-20 13:12:41

I moved last month closer to my daughter and young grandkids 100 miles away and was seeing them everyday which I loved.
There is a fair bit of cosmetic work needing doing on the house which I have planned.
Now I can’t see the grandkids or daughter and the work on the house has to be postponed, so as I’m living on old fashioned carpet and cooker I can’t get used to I think ah well no point in me doing much as everything is being pulled apart when this is over so I may as well play candy crush and look at new kitchens on line whilst hubby is busy painting (he won’t let me help)?

moggie57 Mon 06-Apr-20 14:30:21

i feel the same. i have done the cleaning .all the little jobs that need doing .i am running out of books to read for the 2nd time round . i dont want to sit at my pc watching videos etc. i dont have a tv .i dont want to waste electricity anyway. i live in a flat .communal gardens .i am so tired .really dog tired .its an effort to get up in the mornings.....starting to get depressed .i'm used to volunteeering at a charity shop. i need to keep busy ,but have run out of things to do, i might as well curl up and die. i cant see grandchildren .daughter wont bring them to see me (out of my bedroom window) till end of month. i am tempted to go on a walk to see them....they live 25 mins away (walking)

GagaJo Mon 06-Apr-20 14:32:26

There is LOADS of stuff I should be doing but am not. Lazy!

Sickofweddingcake Mon 06-Apr-20 14:38:26

I regularly interchange between laughter...and the permanent struggle of not giving in to the 'cry' in my stomach...if that makes sense?

Xxjanexx Mon 06-Apr-20 15:28:13

I’ve wrote a list of those jobs that needed doing but couldn’t be bothered.
DH on the other hand has spent ALL day,everyday playing snooker on his iPad,while watching his crap programmes.
Yes apparently he can do both!!

Bluecat Mon 06-Apr-20 15:38:17

I do bugger all - mess around on my phone, listen to music, read a bit, listen to a few poems on the Poetry Archive, watch the news in horror... DD wants me to knit for the new baby, as I did for her other girls. I suppose I shall have to stir myself.

Madmaggie Mon 06-Apr-20 15:45:23

NO, you are NOT lazy. Nobody has to do anything they just don't want to. Your home is how you like it and your happy - nothing wrong with that. I had great intentions of doing a paint by numbers masterpiece but it hasn't arrived - am I bothered, feeling guilty - no. I was going to teach myself to crotchet - can I crotchet yet - no I can't. I have cleaned out 3 kitchen cupboards and I have weeded & trimmed PART of the garden - I shall do a little more eventually when weather & back permit. Am I relaxed - yes ?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 06-Apr-20 15:47:27

Allow yourself to be lazy for at least some of the time that should have been your holiday.

You've cleaned the house and sorted cupboards and drawers.

Enjoy a nice long rest.

The weeds in the garden won't run away! For every weed I don't get rid of , I think of all the bees I am saving!

Hetty58 Mon 06-Apr-20 15:52:53

If the carrot and stick method fails to work, I have another one. Allow yourself a 'day off' and alternate with a 'must get something done' day. At least there's still progress and a sense of (slow) achievement!

Missedout Mon 06-Apr-20 16:34:22

Like many others have posted, I should be doing lots of cleaning, tidying, sorting, gardening and so on, except I've never been very good at any of this. Perhaps tomorrow....

I don’t mind following exercise videos, which seems odd given my inherent physical laziness, but I'm happy to spend time updating and backing up my computers, playing games on the iPad, knitting and reading and I don't mind cooking (not very much anyway).

But, oh dear, as much as I love my husband, I wish he didn't make me feel guilty all the time. Today, he has cleaned every window in the house and is about to mow the lawn. He doesn't mean to make me feel guilty, we've been married such a long time, so he knows what I'm like. He wouldn't dream of chivvying me along but sometimes, he can't understand why I'm not anxious, for example, to help him clear out the spare wardrobe.

Oh well, that's my reality for the time being. At least I've managed to ensure that he remains well fed!

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-Apr-20 16:57:21

I have up laugh at the thought of his n her 'domains' and one directing the other as to where and how something ought to be planted or a laundry wash should be organised.
It's 2020 and most of us have been or were married for quite some years, yet some men (and it's mostly men) still need or are given instructions.
Each to their own methods or domestic routines but I find it baffling and like having a child...no, in fact children are often more capable.
'But you do it better/quicker than I', is an oft heard cry which is no excuse, not to me anyway.
Obvs. this is only my opinion and not a direct criticism of any one poster's modus operandi.