Gransnet forums

Chat

Don’t want to be offended ... but I am!

(134 Posts)
NanNanCake Mon 06-Apr-20 18:12:55

Ok I know my neighbour was being kind, ok I know when you’re in your 30s being in your (very early !!)50s is old - And I don’t want to be offended by them putting a note through my door that if I needed help walking my dog or with food shopping during the corona virus they were here and willing to help - but hey I am !
Am I officially old ?? Sorry I know I should be more generous just wasn’t ready to think of myself as needing that sort of help yet

Henny2020 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:04:13

We (our local Corona Virus Response team) have put postcards through (nearly) every door in our town. Most street contacts, whose numbers appear on the card, live in the street themselves. We delivered a card to our own next door neighbours.
As volunteers we don't know before we deliver the card whether the occupant is old, young, healthy, sick or just plain grumpy!
Anyone any age could get this virus or have to self isolate. My husband has already shopped for a neighbour much younger than us who has an existing condition and nobody nearby to help her.
Lets all be inspired by the hundreds of people who are prepared to help their community.

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:04:29

NanNanCake Methinks it's nothing to do with age but everything to do with them caring about you. Hopefully one good thing to come out of all this will be a more caring society.

Hattiehelga Tue 07-Apr-20 11:04:59

I hope you have graciously thanked this kind couple. If you do not need them now, you might in the future.Reflect on how fortunate you are that they care.

theresacoo Tue 07-Apr-20 11:05:29

Just being neighbourly?

sandelf Tue 07-Apr-20 11:06:05

I sort of agree (it doesn't help morale to have the phrase 'elderly and vulnerable' repeated ad nauseum). But it's really a very kind gesture and good to know that were you to hit trouble, they will help.

olliebeak Tue 07-Apr-20 11:08:31

I'm the oldest person in my building of 4 flats - and we all offer to help each other if going to a shop.

I wouldn't be thinking that your neighbour is treating you as 'old' just because she's offering to help.

nipsmum Tue 07-Apr-20 11:09:57

Well I'm 79 and went round and left little parcels of goodies with my 5 neighbours who are all younger than me. I'm quite well and at least 3 of them are registered disabled so I felt it was something I could do. I hope they weren't offended.

Nannan2 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:11:48

My son told me(hes 17 next week) that,as well as my medical problems,im "on vulnerable list already due to my age"(im a youngish looking 56!)hmmgrin

Jan66 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:13:41

Surely it was meant in kindness - because whatever our age, others may not know if we have to self isolate for health reasons. I wouldn't be offended (also in my early 50's). We are doing errands for older family members.

icanhandthemback Tue 07-Apr-20 11:20:50

I am sure that the OP was meant slightly light heartedly because nobody could really be offended by the kindness of such an offer, surely. We've had those sorts of offers from the neighbours, as has the rest of the street. I have verbally offered help to our much younger neighbours if they need it and they have offered in return. I think it's called community spirit.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Apr-20 11:23:27

My daughter and a friend on her little road have put those sort of notes through every door NanNanCake.

She has been inside with her family for over 2 weeks and wants to repay the help she has had.

She said she thought some people had hidden needs so they had decided to leaflet everyone.

Meanwhile, a friend's son has texted all his mum's friends (me included) offering help. Given that I have family who could help, really it's not needed but it just is another person I could contact if everything went pear shaped and it was nice of him to bother.

I think you certainly shouldn't be offended.

Harryfletcher Tue 07-Apr-20 11:27:31

I'm sure it was kindness and should be appreciated.Im on my own ,76 and vulnerable.My next door neighbor does the majority of my shopping and I am very grateful .I haven't baked since my husband died but I now bake every week .75% of my baking goes next door and they are always pleased.10 minutes ago he put 2 bags of S R flour on my doorstep !!

GoldenAge Tue 07-Apr-20 11:28:38

Maybe the young neighbour would like a dog to walk - a reason for going out. Lots of people have bought animals from shelters just for that reason - I just hope that when they return to work, the poor dogs don't go back to their shelters.

whywhywhy Tue 07-Apr-20 11:31:11

It's nothing to do with age, it's called being kind, thoughtful and generous.

Niucla97 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:33:35

Yes, Don't knock it how ever young or old you are it is safer to stay at home so if someone is kind enough and willing to risk the supermarkets Well?

Going back to the age thing - I always remember when I was a little girl my mother used a local family opticians. How surprised and shocked was I when I met one of the women (who used to work in the opticians) at the school gate. She had recently moved to the area and had children the same age as mine! I really though she was ancient when I was little!! We became good friends.

knspol Tue 07-Apr-20 11:37:32

Be grateful they thought of you and thank them saying you're OK at the moment but will remember their kind offer should a need arise.

00mam00 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:41:20

My local parish council have sent out a letter with numbers of people and groups who are able to help if the need arises. They also put 2 cards, 1 red, 1 green, to out in your window showing whether you need help. I have out the green one up and am disappointed that not many people have bothered. I think it’s rude to ignore the gesture. But I expect they will be quick to out a red one up if they do need help.

Grannie54 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:41:35

My husband and I are in our mid 60s and are the oldest in our street but ironically are the only ones going out to work. Mostly, people are working from home but we work for the NHS. We’ve had offers of help, though from people who don’t realise we’re leaving the house most days.

Notright Tue 07-Apr-20 11:44:21

NanNan - there's more to worry about at the moment than you being offended. A kind neighbour has thought about you, does it matter if she thinks you're 'old'. No. Thank her in a little note, and say at the moment your'e managing but if the need should occur you will contact her. By you ignoring her offer but make her feel, well what's the point in trying tohelp@ Get your act together lady and stop thinking about yourself.

Purplepixie Tue 07-Apr-20 11:48:26

People are just trying to be kind in these difficult times. Put age out of your mind. If you need to, then take them up on this. Anyway, how do they know the age of everyone who lives in the street? Be grateful as no one around here has even offered and my DH is doing the shopping for the three of us.

Speldnan Tue 07-Apr-20 11:49:33

I’m 70 and my neighbours pretty much ignore me at the best of times so certainly haven’t asked if I need anything! ?

TATT Tue 07-Apr-20 11:50:18

My neighbour asks me and I ask her. It all goes towards reducing the time we’re out and about. Ask them the next time you go shopping to reduce their exposure.

Acer Tue 07-Apr-20 11:52:41

Wonder how you might have felt if you were in anyway unwell and no one had offered their help ? Many of my neighbours have offered myself and each other assistance if required. I dare say asking might be a different matter but as we are stuck in behind closed doors it is good to know those nearest in distance might be help.
None of us really know each other before, it now feels like a good communal spirit, especially as many joined the Thursday clap. Something good has come out of this awfulness !

SheilsM Tue 07-Apr-20 11:54:58

Ok I am old, I’m 75. But I certainly don’t ‘feel’ I’m old! I live on my own. My son and family live in France so I’ve had lots of offers of help, from friends of my son and even from people my age. And I’ve never been referred to as many times before as “elderly” - by the Government, by supermarkets on the News etc! So that’s a little depressing. However! I think it’s lovely of everyone who’s offered to help. I feel cared about.

HillyN Tue 07-Apr-20 12:00:40

On the estate where I live the Community Response Team has put a card through every door explaining how to get help if needed . As others have said, it's not about your age. Anyone on their own, e.g. a single parent, could be sick and self-isolating and need help.