Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange things you have lurking in your handbag ?

(111 Posts)
Swizzywhiz Wed 08-Apr-20 00:08:11

My handbag is usually a mess, filled with receipts, hankies, hair clips and all the usual rubbish but I’ve just found something unusual at the bottom of it.
Half a cooked fish finger !
No idea how it got there or how long it’s been there !
Anybody else had a visit from the fish finger fairy ?

Madmaggie Wed 08-Apr-20 12:35:02

About three million years ago when I was a St John first aider ladies were required to carry a mini first aid kit in their handbags, I always had large handbags as a result! I also carried a roll of insulation tape and a pocket size resus face mask. Amazing how many times the kit & the tape came in handy. When asked to inspect the first aid kits carried by the young cadets (small pouches on their belts) one young lad had stashed several mars bars in his, nothing else just mars bars) I just grinned and moved rapidly on....

Sueki44 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:44:49

As a teacher I always kept a spare piece of chalk in the zipped compartment of my bag - just in case I was in a classroom without any. One day I retrieved it and was gesticulating to the group of fifteen year olds in front of me to emphasise some point, only to realise I was waving a tampon.....mortifying!

maryhoffman37 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:50:37

I'm just amazed you didn't smell the fish finger before you found it!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:58:57

Great idea HPO2

Mollygo Wed 08-Apr-20 13:00:58

I have such a small handbag I was convinced that nothing extra would fit in it, but I once went home with my daughter’s Amazon Firestick control.
I was so puzzled until my DGS told my DD that he’d put it there to stop his sister changing what he was watching, not realising that he wouldn’t be able to work it at all without it.

GabriellaG54 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:02:33

Hmm, I'm not one for jumping around those holdall/carryall/shoulder-aching accessories which most women seem to live with when they are out, besides a smaller handbag and perhaps a carrier bag.
Keys, cards (only those I plan to use on the day) a couple of paper tissues and mobile...often not even that.
All fit into a thin cross body bag or a money belt.
I leave the kitchen sink in the kitchen. ??

GabriellaG54 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:03:24

Lumping not jumping hmm

Madbird Wed 08-Apr-20 13:14:00

This prompted a memory from when my children were very young. We used to frequent a certain cafe which allowed Pushchairs and all the accompanying paraphernalia. After one such visit, on our return home I was emptying my bag and found...salt and pepper pots and a vinegar bottle! My oldest son, aged five at the time owned up, saying “I like them and I thought you would like them” ?

jocork Wed 08-Apr-20 13:17:51

When my son was a student he mislaid his student railcard. It eventually turned up after falling in a friends handbag while she was at our house. He also once lost it and I found it in the recliner mechanism of our sofa! I think he takes better care of things these days!

JuliaM Wed 08-Apr-20 13:35:00

My husband once pulled a frilly suspenders belt out of his tool bag at work one day, l suspect one of our teenagers had planted it there at the time as an April fools joke, but no one would own upto it. He was working as a joiner in an office full of ladies at the time, who thought it was highly amusing, and teased him all day as to who the owner might be!

Saggi Wed 08-Apr-20 13:39:50

I’m not using purse either, since lockdown. Always got my phone in pocket and have £20 note , and my card. What more do you need.

dontmindstayinghome Wed 08-Apr-20 13:43:34

I don't actually have a handbag any more, i just find them an absolute nuisance.
If I need to carry anything when I go out I use a small rucksack which gets emptied as soon as I get home.

When my son was small he used to post his biscuits into the Video Recorder. We couldn't figure out why it stopped working, on inspection we found it crammed with biscuits - it never did work again!
When I was working I often came across dummies in my bag, gave us a few laughs at the time!

olliebeak Wed 08-Apr-20 13:56:33

Regarding the 'carrot in the video recorder' - in my house it was usually a slice of toast with jam on it confusedwinkgrin

olliebeak Wed 08-Apr-20 14:00:00

One of my grandsons earned himself the nickname of 'Klepto Man'. He used to arrive with his backpack containing toys - but we had to double-check what he was going home with. Tv remote / mobile phones / stereo remote / purse would all find their way into that flipping back-pack wink.

Lucy127 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:00:26

This is really gross but these stories brought to mind.
My son was about 14. When he went to school he hauled a great big bag of school stuff. One day during a lesson he reached down to fumble into his bag to find cat had poo! Told you it was gross!!!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:18:07

I once found the top of a toothpaste tube in my bag.

It was the beloved toy of a half-grown cat I had at that time.

She had apparently realised that she and I were going to my parents' for Christmas and had popped her favourite toy into my bag.

Houndi Wed 08-Apr-20 14:32:11

When i had my first child i wanted to impressed my mother in law how tidy i was put the washing up in the oven when i saw her approach.First words she said was brought a cake just pop in the oven
Before i could stop her open the oven and thete was my washing up

Nannytopsy Wed 08-Apr-20 14:35:40

I had a small ladylike claw hammer for a while. I can’t remember why - probably a little job in my classroom!

Ninarosa Wed 08-Apr-20 14:54:22

On leaving my son's house loaded down with Christmas presents, he said he'd put my handbag in my car. Got home half an hour later and pulled my bag out of my car : it was his wife's.

justwokeup Wed 08-Apr-20 15:05:44

Our saying when we can't explain something is 'blame the baby'. It usually can be traced back to DGC. However, I had a spell a few years ago of doing lots of DIY and got stopped at the X-ray machine at the airport to be asked why I had a screwdriver in my handbag. Not the sort of thing to take on a business trip, pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to help if the plane had engine trouble. grin I made them a present of it. I have before pulled a tape measure out of my bag in B&Q to check measurements when the assistant didn't have one. Yes, I always carry a fairly large handbag. More likely to have a dummy and a plastic spoon in it these days.

Newatthis Wed 08-Apr-20 15:08:10

When I was pregnant with my first daughter I found my tape measure in a sa
saucepan in the kitchen cupboard!

SalsaQueen Wed 08-Apr-20 15:09:43

I found a doll's dummy in my bag the other week - left by our 5 year old GD

lesleybs Wed 08-Apr-20 15:10:28

No bags or food involved, but i just had to share this. Years ago my sister was staying with us for quite some time, one day my OH went for a game of golf, felt a bit chilly so put his jumper on and as he put his arm through the sleeve a pair of my sisters knickers flew out in front of his golfing buddies. Luckily he saw the funny side of it (eventually). A word of warning always check sleeves after using a tumble drier.

HettyMaud Wed 08-Apr-20 15:18:35

On getting off a busy and overcrowded train from Cardiff to Bristol I hastily grabbed my various bags from the table in front of me. Once on the platform I realised I had also grabbed 2 paper bags with handles belonging to the lady sitting opposite. The contents were her drink, crisps, a snack bar and sandwiches.

Hithere Wed 08-Apr-20 15:25:30

My latest portable crochet project