Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you missing your hairdresser

(165 Posts)
Yiayia4 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:53:29

Hi everyone how are you getting on without going to the hairdresser.
Can you manage yourself or are you struggling? I'm an ex hairdresser so can colour my own hair and trim my fringe also cut DH's hair,although not done it for a long time! There are lots of tips on YouTube for cutting hair if your brave enough.

Sparklefizz Thu 09-Apr-20 09:52:45

Sorry, just noticed Gabriella said much the same above.

sazz1 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:00:39

Cut my own fringe so that was ok. Took 2 separate attempts at it so as not to go too short. Looks nice and level. Always dye my own hair and after putting on the dye I use a wide plastic brush to carefully brush it through. This makes sure I don't miss any places as my hair is quite long. Bought 2 boxes of dye before the lockdown so all ok so far.

newgran2019 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:07:56

I colour my own hair anyway so that's no problem; I have ordered a home hair cutting thing but don't know if I'll be brave enough to use it on myself. Might try it on my husband first...

Davida1968 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:13:53

I've a "longer bob" style so will let it grow and will just trim my fringe. (Fortunately I gave up colouring a couple of years ago.)

frankie74 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:13:54

I've had short hair most of my life. It is also naturally curly. However, like many, I've never been happy with it and often thought I'd persevere and grow it longer. Now it's really happening! So I'll take that for the time being! grin

farview Thu 09-Apr-20 10:14:14

No...have just cut at least 3" off mine ..all over..and coloured it..luckily I have very curly hair so mistakes dont really show

Gransing Thu 09-Apr-20 10:15:10

I bought some hygge hair bands. Using those at the moment. When I get back to virtual teaching I might have to think again.

inishowen Thu 09-Apr-20 10:15:16

There was a you tube video posted today from Ireland. An oldish man was outdoors, trimming his hair with sheep shearers. He did an amazing job, even getting the back done.

Teddy123 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:16:50

I started growing out my silver hair in October & had dark blonde lowlights threaded through to avoid the harsh line. Seemed like a good idea at the time ?.
I want a wig.

Happysexagenarian Thu 09-Apr-20 10:19:15

I had my hair cut and permed back in November and was due for a trim in January but didn't feel up to going so now I'm just trimming it myself to keep it 'tidy'. I've always cut my husband's hair using clippers and scissors, it's just a little trickier doing the back of my own hair. My hair is grey/white and I don't colour it so no roots to worry about. Been pondering whether to let it grow a bit longer and go for a change of style post-isolation. Anyone else growing out a style while no-one will see it?

Hilarybee Thu 09-Apr-20 10:20:28

I have several dog grooming scissors that am contemplating using on myself ? bought with the aim of grooming our field spaniel but as he hated it I stopped and he now goes to the groomers.
I have also been thinking about going grey anyway so this may be a good opportunity to start the process

deedeeP Thu 09-Apr-20 10:20:28

My next appointment is for This Saturday, I will just have to let it grow for a while. At least I will be able to tie it back, I did colour it myself the other day as I feel it is important to maintain standards and still look after ourselves even though we are all locked down at home. Every week day I dress as if I was going into the office so does my husband, he currently needs the hairdresser more than I do, I guess I will need to scalp him with the shears again soon. his number 2 is more like a number 5 right now.

frankie74 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:21:36

Actually, just thinking about my and OHs last visit to hairdresser early December (yes...it's high time, especiallyfor OH!) Hairdresser annoyed us because she spent the whole time talking to a rep in the salon, and ignored us apart from the haircutting. She did apologise afterwards! Perhaps a long absence will make her think.

Jillybird Thu 09-Apr-20 10:22:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Craftycat Thu 09-Apr-20 10:24:04

YES! I was due a cut & colour this week. She is a very good friend of mine & I go to her house for my cuts & colours but as we are all trying to keep out of other people's way of course so I am not able to see her.
I have got some touch up colour spray which is OK but I am going to have to tackle my fringe soon. I dread to think what that will look like once I've butchered it.

LuckyFour Thu 09-Apr-20 10:25:18

My hair is longer than it has been for years. I made an appointment on the cusp of shut down and had to cancel it. I can't stand my hair now, but yesterday DH said 'you're hair looks nice'. This is a phrase I've hardly ever heard in 50 years of 'married bliss'.

Patticake123 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:25:38

I cut my own hair on Saturday and I am very impressed with my effort. I used my husband’s clippers on the sides and back, on the longest blade, then used utube clips to see how to do the top using scissors. To be honest it looks as good as the salon cut and would save me a small fortune if I could maintain this standard. However, my son, who has used clippers on his own hair for years, burst my bubble when he warned that in his experience only one out of three cuts are a success!

Kaggi60 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:29:50

Yes my husband wanted to cut it last time my family cut my hair I looked like I been down a coal mine.

Daddima Thu 09-Apr-20 10:30:43

I was due a cut and colour when my hairdresser closed. I have a clip on ‘ messy bun’, and am awaiting a £15 Josh Wood colour. Of course, the bun probably won’t match the new colour!
Hairdresser can sort it when things are back to normal.

Sheilasue Thu 09-Apr-20 10:33:11

My appointment was for next Friday. My hair is quite short
So will be ok for a few weeks yet, but I am seriously thinking of looking for some rollers on line, my fridge may get a trim.

Swizzywhiz Thu 09-Apr-20 10:40:29

I cut my fringe a bit yesterday and it looks dreadful. Too short right in the front and now I have a triangle of death above my forehead. My hair is so thin you can see all my scalp.
I’ll be wearing Mr Swizz’s beany hat he uses for gardening until it grows a bit. I’ve actually discovered a silver lining to the lockdown as nobody will see it smile

Swizzywhiz Thu 09-Apr-20 10:41:27

Should have trimmed the fridge instead !!!!

justwokeup Thu 09-Apr-20 10:44:14

I was in dire need of a cut and colour and managed to get there, unbeknown to me, just before all this kicked off. However more literally, yes, I miss my hairdresser. I have been very uncomfortable having my hair cut all my life until I started going to our lovely local hairdresser. Just going in is like being wrapped in a warm soft towel, instantly relaxing. I hope the ladies that work there are all okay, missing you all. flowers

Nanna58 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:46:11

Confession, I’m actually missing her more than I would Mr C !! ( in my defence I taught my hairdresser when she was in Reception class, so am actually quite fond of her!! )

leeds22 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:47:08

My appointment was for today but by chance, on my last visit, the hairdresser cut it shorter than I really like, so its not too bad yet. The roots are growing out and I am mildly surprised to see there's not much grey showing, apart from round the edges. I'm sure I'll be back for a full set of highlights when lock down is over.