Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you missing?

(133 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 16-Apr-20 08:26:56

This is a fun post. Please don't criticise posters for not taking lockdown seriously.

I never thought I'd say this but I'm missing garden centres.

crimpedhalo Thu 16-Apr-20 10:19:57

I miss my husband going for a regular walk when he's on his weekly steroids!! Lol I have dislocated little toe so I miss my car journey to shop with trolley to support. I usually shop alone....again to distance myself from the weekly steroid moods. But this too will end. We also miss our weekly visits to the garden centres....waiting for our newly planted baskets to grow like last year's.

Chewbacca Thu 16-Apr-20 10:21:09

Normal every day life and the people who are in it.

25Avalon Thu 16-Apr-20 10:22:57

I am missing my holiday to a beach hut on Dunster Beach with my dh, dd and 2 dogs which we should have been on right now. Hopefully, next year.
The one thing I am missing like a hole in the head are the constant phone calls from our business, currently closed, with someone always complaining about something no matter how trivial such as the showers take too long to get hot etc. Just realised I have forgotten what they all were!

CaroleAnne Thu 16-Apr-20 10:23:11

I miss just being able to go out and not worry that I may have caught the dreaded virus. Also I miss feeling free to visit friends for coffee or just go to the shops for something unimportant.
At least we are all in the same boat.

GrannySomerset Thu 16-Apr-20 10:24:01

Yes, it’s the feeling that we can’t do something which is so wearing. Apart from the family, none of whom we have seen this year, I miss the garden centre, coffee out and stopping to chat when out in the village. I realise that people fight wars for these small freedoms - never mind the larger ones.

Mauriherb Thu 16-Apr-20 10:24:01

Obviously missing the grandchildren but they live near the sea and I love to walk along the front listening to the waves

jaylucy Thu 16-Apr-20 10:24:57

Friday fish and chip takeaway - my only night off from cooking usually!
Usual chippy is still open on reduced hours (they have a window on to the street that they serve through) son is working from home at the moment, so pointless for him to travel to the chip shop when he'd usually pick up the fish and chips on the way home from work

Smileysue Thu 16-Apr-20 10:25:56

Volunteering at the dog rescue and taking the dogs for walks and meeting my sister for lunch.

Annanan Thu 16-Apr-20 10:27:14

Being able to go to eat in a restaurant and to enjoy food I haven’t had to cook myself!

CaroleAnne Thu 16-Apr-20 10:28:25

Hello Avalon. We used to holiday in a beach hut on Dunster beach with our parents when we were young. I have many happy memories of Dunster. You can look forward to going again in better times.

Craftycat Thu 16-Apr-20 10:28:30

My DGC obviously but also a bit of peace!
DH is not usually home all day every day & I am getting a bit fed up. I like my own space & time to myself.
Having said that I am also missing coffee with friends after Yoga ( I'm getting the Yoga as our teacher is doing it on her PC & screening it to us so I can play it on our TV) & people popping in for a chat & a coffee.
I enjoyed queuing at Sainsbury's yesterday as it was a bit of peace- but he did ring me to remind me of things I might forget- I wouldn't have done- I'd made a list!

Leah50 Thu 16-Apr-20 10:28:50

I'm missing varied grocery shopping, can't wait to get back to bus trips to Lidl to stock up on their lovely European/ Mediterranean foods. Our village shop is doing its best for the essentials but I'm dreaming of garlic & anchovy stuffed olives, cavalo nero, & the fab tinned stuffs on Greek week....not to mention the wines!

Phloembundle Thu 16-Apr-20 10:37:41

We don't have a problem with takeaways here. Had fish and chips delivered on Tuesday eve.

jenni123 Thu 16-Apr-20 10:37:51

Company.

inishowen Thu 16-Apr-20 10:38:12

Dare I say it. I miss charity shops. I've always loved browsing in them. I have run out of books to read. I saw Lidl had books £11.99 each! I would get 24 in a charity shop for that.

Missiseff Thu 16-Apr-20 10:38:31

Work! Money! Have been let go due to distancing and safety. I'm on a zero hours contract so not getting paid & can't claim anything.

Babs758 Thu 16-Apr-20 10:38:37

Like Leah missing spices, garlic, French unsalted butter, variety of food, and my friends and swimming most of all which was the perfect exercise for me.

4allweknow Thu 16-Apr-20 10:41:00

Just being able to go for a cuppa if I fancy one when out and about. Only yesterday realised I must be saving money with no clothes, shoe shopping no lunches out, very low fuel costs. I am spending more on ebooks though!

Macgran43 Thu 16-Apr-20 10:41:39

Missing walks with friends followed by coffee and chat. Husband disabled so walks with him are very slow.I then go for a brisk walk by myself. Missing my daughter’s visits. We have been blessed with a good dry spell of weather .NOT missing the rain.

GagaJo Thu 16-Apr-20 10:47:47

Time on my own. I'm locked in with GS and daughter and DESPERATELY need a bit of peace and quiet. And space.

And open spaces. I miss them. We are 100% locked in so no outside at all. I miss space and standing under the sky with wind or sun.

I AM however very grateful that I'm able to lock in. An awful lot of people don't have that luxury.

dproff Thu 16-Apr-20 10:48:21

Solitude and peace. OH has tv and radio on all day and night!

Millieangel Thu 16-Apr-20 10:48:29

I'm missing my family soooooo much. Speak to them regularly of course but it's not the same. Missing wandering round the shops too!!

Camelotclub Thu 16-Apr-20 10:50:29

Our farm shop/garden centre type place is still open as they sell food, e.g. bread and eggs and tins and jars and frozen meals, ice cream, etc. So DH was able to buy two bags of compost for the garden as they're stacked outside and you just load them in the boot.

But I do miss just being able to go into any shop I like and buying what I like!

Speldnan Thu 16-Apr-20 10:55:12

My grandchildren, coffee out with my best friend and the holiday we had to cut after 2 days because the lockdown began.

Thecatshatontgemat Thu 16-Apr-20 10:56:00

Just nipping out for milk, bread or whatever, without having to time it so there are no queues.
I cannot even contemplate shopping online. Nightmare!