Gransnet forums

Chat

Where’s Boris

(105 Posts)
Annecan Mon 20-Apr-20 10:12:55

I sincerely wish him well, but it’s not good for the nation to have an absent leader
The daily press conferences are becoming a farce, andIm starting to feel we are being treated like children
Give us leadership, give us all the facts, and tell us why you are following a particular scientific approach as compared to others

Annecan Mon 20-Apr-20 12:09:47

heath480
The country needs a leader
We need to know who is leading
I wish him well
I like him
I voted for him
But the country is in a state of utter confusion and if his illness prevents him from doing the job then that has to be faced and dealt with
Bad form to call someone stupid ... of course I know where he is physically for gods sake

GrannyLaine Mon 20-Apr-20 12:55:11

The country HAS a leader who just happens to be convalescing from serious illness. His post is 'first among equals' so in the absence of his physical presence, the work of government goes on. I have no doubt that Information Technology will allow him to connect with his Ministers as much as he is able. Political backstabbing is rife among the press who are looking for their next headline rather than from any sense of altruism. My impression is NOT of a country in a state of utter confusion but of one that, in the face of an unprecedented situation, is doing what Britain does best - getting on with it and waiting till the storm passes.

MawB Mon 20-Apr-20 13:05:01

Nobody said anybody was stupid, but it is a disingenuous question.
However I will treat accusations of”hiding” or any of the other predictably snide comments with the contempt they deserve.

Daisymae Mon 20-Apr-20 13:10:37

I think that there should be a delegated leader with full authority in the PMs absence. This vacuum us bad for everyone.

Annecan Mon 20-Apr-20 13:22:16

Mawbe
It was a rhetorical question
He isn’t hiding!!!
Not snide, just worried
We need a designated leader

Boris has done great up to now, but if his recovery will be prolonged we need to face the situation

There are many questions that need answering in relation to how we are to progress
Mawbe ...Why post personally insulting comments?

JenniferEccles Mon 20-Apr-20 13:26:14

Anncan your question was “Where’s Boris “ so I and one or two others answered.

You KNOW where he is.
You KNOW why he is there , so I’m afraid it WAS a silly question.

He will be liaising with his team whilst he’s recuperating and when he has recovered enough he will be back in no. 11.

Meanwhile he is still our PM with Dominic Raab deputising temporarily.

MawB Mon 20-Apr-20 13:30:40

MawB ...Why post personally insulting comments?

I didn’t.
I called your question disingenuous.
It was.
I have insulted nobody personally or otherwise, I have however criticised some posts as I am perfectly entitled to do. That is not an ad hominem accusation.

MawB Mon 20-Apr-20 13:32:20

Nor did I accuse OP of saying he was “in hiding”

Read posts perhaps?

Nightsky2 Mon 20-Apr-20 13:38:04

Paddyanne. Why exactly are the English people putting up with him?. What a daft question!. An awful lot of us voted for him, that’s why.
This man was in ICU for a week and is now recuperating at Checkers. It will take weeks before he is well enough to go back to running the country from Downing St. Have you not been listening to how COVID 19 effects the body?.
There remains the possibility that even some mild cases may leave patients with long-term health problems - such as fatigue. That is why the PM is not rushing back to DS but we wish him well and we all hope (those of us who voted for him) and lots who didn’t vote for him that he makes a speedy recovery.

GrannyLaine Mon 20-Apr-20 13:40:58

Daisymae but there IS a delegated leader - Dominic Raab. Had you not noticed?

coggie Mon 20-Apr-20 13:46:53

Maybe he was incubating it for weeks and that made him less efficient.

trisher Mon 20-Apr-20 13:50:05

Gosh coggie can you have it for years and years?

maddyone Mon 20-Apr-20 14:06:11

I truly hope not, so haven’t had it yet, and I don’t want it, but I’m fed up of it already. I know everyone’s supposedly in the same boat, but they’re not are they? I can’t help my daughter with childcare as I usually do, and they’re having childcare problems because they’re both key workers. I just have to sit in my house and feel useless.

Boris is recuperating, let’s leave him to get on with it shall we?

CraftyGranny Mon 20-Apr-20 14:08:55

Just been reading through this thread, about a man, our leader, who has been seriously ill and needs to recuperate.
I can't believe some of the comments about him. The word venemous springs to mind

maddyone Mon 20-Apr-20 14:09:52

Asking ‘where’s Boris’ is a stupid question, we know where he is. Let’s leave him to get properly well shall we?

I do agree with paddyanne about the numbers of deaths being reported, the deaths in care homes or at home are not being reported to us, why not?

GrannyLaine Mon 20-Apr-20 14:20:28

But they are maddyone. It has been explained pretty much every day recently at the briefing how deaths in the community have a different process of registration and take much longer to reach the statistics. Deaths in hospital are notified each day so give a clearer idea of that trend. When they show the graph comparing deaths in other countries, they are now showing a separate line for deaths in the community.

JenniferEccles Mon 20-Apr-20 14:34:07

What the death figures don’t make clear though is how many died from other serious illnesses they had at the time of their death.

The figures are lumped together so even those who died with Covid not *from it still appear on the official numbers of deaths from C.

I believe other countries record theirs differently.

BlueSky Mon 20-Apr-20 14:47:39

Would we be back in work if we had recently been in ICU with the dreaded Covid 19? I don't think so! I would give the same answer had it been Corbyn.

Mapleleaf Mon 20-Apr-20 15:18:58

As to be expected I suppose, but some unpleasant posts. The man has been very ill and is recuperating. Whether you like him or not, that's what he's been doing.

Luckygirl Mon 20-Apr-20 15:28:22

Clearly he has to recuperate; and to be quite honest I do not think things would be any better if he was back at work. He was at work when all the delays and mistakes were made in the first few weeks, and his presence did nothing to prevent that.

Just keep that dreadful Michael Gove away from the centre of power.

humptydumpty Mon 20-Apr-20 15:36:45

Jennifer, I may be wrong but I believe when a doctor signs a death certificate he specifies the underlying cause of death, and this is what is being reported - if he has specified Covid19 as the underlying cause that indicates death from Covid19, if it is not the underlying cause then that is a death with it. The person may have had other conditions but in the GP's opinion, they died from Covid19 if this is the underlying cause.

The difference with deaths in hospital is that most people who have died outside hospital have not been tested, so it is the GP's opinion.

GrannyLaine Mon 20-Apr-20 15:41:02

Yes that's true JenniferEccles, they won't have that information for some time I understand. The way that deaths are recorded seems to be different for all countries, so the comparison isn't like for like.

Urmstongran Mon 20-Apr-20 15:44:12

It’ll be like comparing apples and pears.

coggie Mon 20-Apr-20 15:53:45

You can wriggle all you like about the figures, please for God's sake lets have a reality check.

It's an absolutely dire situation. Medics having to ignore the hippocratic oath and let people die because they don't have PPE?

How much worse must it get ?

sodapop Mon 20-Apr-20 16:00:27

I agree with others. Whether or not you agree with Boris and the Government the man is recovering from a serious illness. This is not the time for point scoring.