Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it ok to send flowers....?

(55 Posts)
Grannybags Fri 24-Apr-20 14:07:43

My sister has had 'the letter' and is shielding. Normally she's a very up beat person, and very positive about coping with her disease. Since receiving the letter however she seems to have gone downhill mentally.

It's her birthday next week and I was thinking of sending her some flowers to cheer her up as obviously she wont be able to go anywhere to celebrate.

Is it ok to send the flowers or is there a risk I could be sending Coronovirus into her home? Be interested to see what you all think

timetogo2016 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:10:32

I don`t think flowers would carry the virus tbh.
I think it`s a lovely idea Grannybags .
Stay safe both.

SueDonim Fri 24-Apr-20 14:20:13

I’ve sent flowers to two friend who’ve been bereaved (not CV). Florists are observing the safety measures put in place and I don’t think it’s any riskier than normal mail or shopping.

Sussexborn Fri 24-Apr-20 14:21:03

Just googled it and the flower delivery services are all still operating. It’s worth checking on a voucher codes site as they usually offer generous discounts.

I’ve used Flying Flowers and Bloom and Wild with excellent results.

It is unsettling when our normally upbeat relatives are having a down day. My SIL was very down on one occasion but much more her usual self last time we spoke.

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:37:55

You don’t say what her disease is but be cautious if it is anything that affects her immune system.

When my husband was treated for leukaemia we were not allowed to have any plants or flowers in his hospital room or in the house.

In spite of telling everyone people still sent flowers and I had to tell the florist to take them next door.

My neighbour appreciated them?

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:38:58

That wasn’t anything to do with Covid.

I’ve got no idea about that.

Grannybags Fri 24-Apr-20 14:43:50

She is immune suppressed because of RA medication.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll have a look at your suggestions Sussexborn

Jane10 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:52:33

I'm sure it would be really uplifting for her to receive a lovely bouquet of flowers. Apart from anything else it would show that she is not forgotten and that she has people who care about her.

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 15:33:41

If she’s immune suppressed I really would check it out first.

harrigran Fri 24-Apr-20 15:48:37

I asked the family not to send flowers on Mothering Sunday and it is my birthday in two weeks and I will again ask for no flowers. We have the second highest incidence of the virus outside of London where I live, I do not trust anyone.

Teetime Fri 24-Apr-20 16:13:19

We have been sending flowers within the family from Bloom and Wild and Waitrose - all letterbox flowers no-one has succumbed but all have been lifted by the flowers.

Daisymae Fri 24-Apr-20 16:39:15

Bloom and wild are excellent. Letterbox delivery if you want too

Dustyhen2010 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:11:29

I have just received letterbox flowers from Bloom and Wild and they are gorgeous. I just washed my hands after opening the cardboard box and felt that was being careful enough.

Davida1968 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:12:45

I've a relative in an elderly care home which is accepting flowers.

dizzygran Sat 25-Apr-20 09:17:33

It sent flowers through efloritstand had a lovely thank you - I was told the flowers were gorgeous.. We all love receiving flowers - nice idea.

Aepgirl Sat 25-Apr-20 09:19:04

Yes, definitely send flowers - I ‘m sure a delivery would lift her spirits.

maryhoffman37 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:31:46

I got flowers from Bloom & Wild on my birthday this Monday - -sent from Indonesia where my youngest daughter currently is. It was such a happy thing.

moobox Sat 25-Apr-20 09:33:22

My mother gets monthly letterbox flowers from me from Bloom and Wild from her Christmas present. However they do arrive looking underwhelming I gather and then improve, as it says on the tin, so to speak. I know this because she has nothing else to talk about on the shine and I get a day by day, flower by flower account of how they are coming into their own. As a reasonably priced monthly gift it has been great, but for a one off birthday gift why not see if there are any hand deliveries still going on.

rowanflower0 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:39:59

I would try to use a florist local to her - I used an online florist last week for my friend's birthday as she suffers with depression and is isolating alone, the flowers never arrived - I e-mailed them but have had no reply and their phone is constantly engaged.

Brunette10 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:40:38

I sent my flowers to my DD just to let her know she was doing a wonderful job at the moment. I got M & S roses and they were just beautiful and DD loved them. Got on special offer too which was nice. Def worth it.

Flytothestars Sat 25-Apr-20 09:42:39

Yes, send flowers, it’s a beautiful gift to receive and shows that you care!

Marydoll Sat 25-Apr-20 09:58:59

Grannybags, what a lovely thought.
I'm sheilding and two of my children have sent me flowers, it has certainly lifted my spirits.

I have sent flowers from an online company, I frequently use, Prestige Flowers to my cousin, the night sister in a care home, who has been off for four weeks, suffering from the virus. She was absolutely delighted to get them.
They have also reduced their prices at the moment, obviously to encourage people to send flowers.

I have also just sent my daughter, a chocolate basket from the same company, as she is very low just now.

Taffy1234 Sat 25-Apr-20 10:09:16

I've been sending little gifts to my granddaughters via amazon. I am locked down in Tenerife and don't want them to forget me. They are locked down in uk and the little craft sets help their mums in a small way as the days are long and boredom sets in. So I don't think sending presents can do any harm.

Heather51 Sat 25-Apr-20 10:10:48

Yes, send some flowers they should brighten her day. I recently sent some to friends from M&S and they were very pleased. Don’t take too long to decide though as all the companies are saying that it takes longer to deliver now, no next day deliveries. So allow a good week.

LynneH Sat 25-Apr-20 10:15:50

You could always send her an edible bouquet, made of lollipops, I think, and there are also some sock companies that do bouquets