Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it ok to send flowers....?

(56 Posts)
Grannybags Fri 24-Apr-20 14:07:43

My sister has had 'the letter' and is shielding. Normally she's a very up beat person, and very positive about coping with her disease. Since receiving the letter however she seems to have gone downhill mentally.

It's her birthday next week and I was thinking of sending her some flowers to cheer her up as obviously she wont be able to go anywhere to celebrate.

Is it ok to send the flowers or is there a risk I could be sending Coronovirus into her home? Be interested to see what you all think

Maremia Sat 25-Apr-20 20:49:47

Just to clarify, the 'no flowers' rule in the cancer ward was because of infections' control. Flowers were allowed on the other wards at that time.

Alishka Sun 26-Apr-20 12:46:39

Well, I've just ordered some flowers from a local florist - from me for megrin
I've always bought them from Morrisons when I've done my shop there, but had to stop, however....nah! in this changing world some things must remain constant, and for me it's fresh flowers.
(not lilies, tho!)shockgrin

Coppernob Mon 27-Apr-20 21:24:03

On my 70th birthday a couple of weeks ago, 3 lots of flowers were delivered to me- one from Bloom and Wild, one from Bunches and one from a local florist. You can never have too many flowers! They cheered me up on a day that wasn’t at all as planned - we should have been with our family who live in northern Italy. The flowers are all still coming out and looking beautiful.

Eloethan Tue 28-Apr-20 00:09:55

I think it's a good idea Grannybags.

I'm sending my friend a vase of flowers for her birthday (saves her all that faffing about finding a suitable vase and doing the arranging). I like to receive flowers and I hope she does too. I don't think there is a risk of transporting the virus.

MaeHart Mon 12-Oct-20 05:14:28

I’ve tried sending my grandmother a flower bouquet last month, which I bought from this flower delivery Mayfair shop and she was fine up until now. I would say that you should go for it and give your sister a flower that might cheer her up. Don’t worry because most flower shops today observe safety measures to avoid their clients from contracting the virus from their products. But regardless of that, it’s better to disinfect them first or even just the vase or cover to be sure. Lastly, make sure to look for a flower shop that delivers, so you won’t have to go out to pick them up as this might expose the flowers and you to the virus.