Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it ok to send flowers....?

(56 Posts)
Grannybags Fri 24-Apr-20 14:07:43

My sister has had 'the letter' and is shielding. Normally she's a very up beat person, and very positive about coping with her disease. Since receiving the letter however she seems to have gone downhill mentally.

It's her birthday next week and I was thinking of sending her some flowers to cheer her up as obviously she wont be able to go anywhere to celebrate.

Is it ok to send the flowers or is there a risk I could be sending Coronovirus into her home? Be interested to see what you all think

MaeHart Mon 12-Oct-20 05:14:28

I’ve tried sending my grandmother a flower bouquet last month, which I bought from this flower delivery Mayfair shop and she was fine up until now. I would say that you should go for it and give your sister a flower that might cheer her up. Don’t worry because most flower shops today observe safety measures to avoid their clients from contracting the virus from their products. But regardless of that, it’s better to disinfect them first or even just the vase or cover to be sure. Lastly, make sure to look for a flower shop that delivers, so you won’t have to go out to pick them up as this might expose the flowers and you to the virus.

Eloethan Tue 28-Apr-20 00:09:55

I think it's a good idea Grannybags.

I'm sending my friend a vase of flowers for her birthday (saves her all that faffing about finding a suitable vase and doing the arranging). I like to receive flowers and I hope she does too. I don't think there is a risk of transporting the virus.

Coppernob Mon 27-Apr-20 21:24:03

On my 70th birthday a couple of weeks ago, 3 lots of flowers were delivered to me- one from Bloom and Wild, one from Bunches and one from a local florist. You can never have too many flowers! They cheered me up on a day that wasn’t at all as planned - we should have been with our family who live in northern Italy. The flowers are all still coming out and looking beautiful.

Alishka Sun 26-Apr-20 12:46:39

Well, I've just ordered some flowers from a local florist - from me for megrin
I've always bought them from Morrisons when I've done my shop there, but had to stop, however....nah! in this changing world some things must remain constant, and for me it's fresh flowers.
(not lilies, tho!)shockgrin

Maremia Sat 25-Apr-20 20:49:47

Just to clarify, the 'no flowers' rule in the cancer ward was because of infections' control. Flowers were allowed on the other wards at that time.

oodles Sat 25-Apr-20 18:57:43

www.nhs.uk/news/medical-practice/you-dont-bring-me-flowers-anymore/ this talks about why no flowers I think everyone would understand no flowers in intensive care, but we none of us want nurses to have to change the water and trim the stalks or risk having a vase knocked over and break. Many people nowadays are not in hospital for as long as in the past so there is carrying them home afterwards too
I'd send some, I sent mum some bloom and wild and thought I'd not got heavily scented ones but they were, she actually liked that, normally she doesn't, she said every morning when she came down she could smell them and know she had no cv!

Maremia Sat 25-Apr-20 18:15:05

Yes, it is wonderful to receive flowers BUT I worked on a children's cancer ward, and plants and flowers were not allowed. Other posts on this thread have alerted you to this issue. Great idea, but check ( don't know where) before you send. Maybe one of you GNs can advise about where to find out about this?

Abuelana Sat 25-Apr-20 16:18:22

I’ve sent flowers by postal service to my elderly parents most weeks since the lockdown. Have had no problems.
The flowers are packaged and normally delivered 48 hours after by Royal Mail. Normal handling of the package indoors i.e wiping it with detail spray or such like.
I’m sure your sister will love them.

Gingergirl Sat 25-Apr-20 14:34:57

I don’t see that having flowers in her home is any different to having an item from a supermarket. Just remind her to ditch the packaging and wash her hands, as she would after handling any shopping. Honestly....I think we are over reacting sometimes....I’m sure they will be lovely....and if you still aren’t sure, ask her if it’s ok by her. It means it’s not such a surprise but at least you won’t worry as much.

Sadgrandma Sat 25-Apr-20 14:21:15

I sent some flowers to a bereaved friend (not CV) last week from the Marks and Spencer website. They emailed me to say that they were out for delivery and arrived on time. They were an arrangement already in water. She said they were beautiful.

glammanana Sat 25-Apr-20 13:54:02

I sent my longtime friend a postbox delivery of flowers from Prestigue Flowers and they are beautifully fresh and full,she wiped down the box with hand sanitiser before opening.You can add chocolates and other little gifts if you need to.

4allweknow Sat 25-Apr-20 13:43:33

Think flowers would be fine. Just learned today a neighbours had a cake delivered for her birthday. Looked lovely all wrapped up in cellophane and ribbon. Viewed at a distance I add!

Grannybags Sat 25-Apr-20 12:23:58

Thank you all so much for your replies. I was pleased to hear from all shielded GNers that they thought it was ok.

Flowers arranged and I paid for guaranteed delivery so I'm now looking forward to her reaction on the 28th! flowers

seacliff Sat 25-Apr-20 12:03:21

I have had not "so good flowers" from Moonpig on several occasions. When I rang them, they were very helpful and sent better ones. Not my first choice though.

Thisismyname1953 Sat 25-Apr-20 12:01:14

I sent a friend tulips for her birthday. They were from marks and Spencer’s and she loved them as they’re her favourite flower

HootyMcOwlface Sat 25-Apr-20 11:59:38

I’ve sent Bloom and Wild letterbox flowers and wondered what they were actually like (recipients say they’re lovely but I wondered if they were just being polite!) anyway I got some myself recently and they were lovely. They do come in bud and bloom after a couple of days. So about 2 days after receiving they were making a lovely display. There is often a £10 off your first order with them offer.

I’ve also used Serenata flowers (and received) and they’re nice too. If you’re on Quidco they are usually listed on there with a discount.

seacliff Sat 25-Apr-20 11:58:47

You could ring a local (to her) garden centre or nursery, lots are still operating and offer delivery.

You could ask them to deliver a planted up decorative pot of outdoor flowering plants, summer pansies etc, and see if they would be prepared to carry them round to the back of her house, within view of a window. Then they'd be safe to admire in the back garden, and no contamination.

nipsmum Sat 25-Apr-20 11:50:37

I've received flowers for my birthday last week and I sent flowers to a friend in a nursing home for her birthday. I don't see a problem. I've also made and sent cards to several elderly friends , all in nursing homes to let them know I'm thinking about them. If we get post from the government why should we be banned from sending letters and cards to friends and family.

Ashcombe Sat 25-Apr-20 11:00:04

I would recommend Bunches. www.bunches.co.uk
I’ve used them many times and never been disappointed. Use the code ROSES for a 10% reduction!

Fairyfeet Sat 25-Apr-20 10:59:12

I sent my friend Birthday flowers from Flying Flowers earlier this week. She said they were beautiful and superbly packaged. I thought they were very reasonably priced too. My friend was thrilled to receive them x

Ilovedragonflies Sat 25-Apr-20 10:58:55

I second Moonpig. I sent my sister some for her birthday and she said they were the most beautiful and colourful she'd seen. They were letterbox rainbow flowers, if that helps?

Jishere Sat 25-Apr-20 10:46:33

I always use bloom and wild they send letter box flowers, so the outside package gets thrown away. I actually asked them the same question and they said they were following all the guidelines. They are beautiful flowers and wonderful company if anything is wrong they will sort asap.

Mealybug Sat 25-Apr-20 10:45:28

My SIL was 70 last week and she was supposed to be going on holiday which obviously was cancelled. I sent her some flowers through the post and she loved them, they cheered her up no end.

Criticality Sat 25-Apr-20 10:39:13

A company near me does an afternoon tea which is delivered (minus the cup of tea) to your doorstep and a friend's doorstep so that you can link up by video and enjoy a shared afternoon tea. We used What'sAp. My friend and I had both set our tables up with best china and tablecloth and displayed the sandwiches, scones, jam, cream and cake as in a proper afternoon tea and it was lovely to just chat and 'see' each other. A great idea to try.

Meta Sat 25-Apr-20 10:35:46

I am recovering from what was probably a moderate bout of covid-19 about a month ago and received a Bloom and Wild letterbox delivery from a friend a couple of days ago. It was a lovely surprise and boosted my spirits no end. I just washed my hands carefully. They do look closed on arrival but now look amazing.