Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(82 Posts)
12Michael Mon 27-Apr-20 06:10:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Its grey and appears to be a cooler start , maybe a weather change this week.
Did a reasonable shop yesterday , in the que of a few at 0930 for browsing , then 1000 check out, numbers are dropping as well.
I did notice last night ,someone where I live had a online Sainsburys delivery at around 8 last night.
Looking ahead with this lockdown , of what the future after will be like.
Mind you that daily routine of doing things on certain days of the week ,makes the week go by.
Take Care,
Mick

MawB Mon 27-Apr-20 22:00:46

Porridge (historically also spelled porage, porrige, or parritch) is a food commonly eaten as a breakfast cereal dish, made by boiling ground, crushed or chopped starchy plants—typically grain—in water or milk

I think the idea that the French word potage (soup) is relevant might be your own invention GabriellaG

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 19:34:58

popped pooped

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 18:49:39

Well, I didn't know they ate earthworms ?☹️
We must be the only 'animals' to have such a varied diet and to think of the millions of choices we have...plus different methods of cooking.
I had a duckling once which was ignored by it's mum as it was lame. It swam in our pool until it popped, then I bought him a pool if his own, a child's paddling pool.
He loved it and often hid under the shady side when it was hot.
I shut him in a shed at night, but one morning there were only feathers to be seen. The guy who cleaned the pool had left the door ajar and...well...I never spoke to him again.
That duckling used to follow me and go on my lap. ☹️

Grandmafrench Mon 27-Apr-20 17:33:44

Very pleased that Mr Fox is doing well Gabriella - bet he loves regular meals, bless him. When I first realised that they mostly have to live off earthworms and raise young, I didn't feel quite so angry that they sometimes took my hens, and my ducks.....and my goose!

I think your Vet friend was very brave to pick. him up - even with a blanket - but maybe, like lots of wild animals, he was too distressed to be any trouble and just gave in.

Keep going, dragonflies both, you have tried so hard. Hope that the Vet will see some improvement.

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 13:31:57

Sorry. Thought it didn't post first time ?

Kalu Mon 27-Apr-20 13:30:57

Porage is the Scottish spelling Gabriella as it is written on the box, Scott’s Porage Oats. HTH ?
So pleased Mr? is doing well?

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 13:30:40

Depends what pack you buy. It was a marketing ploy in 1914, a cross between the French and summat else

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 13:29:01

Discuss...??

dragonfly46 Mon 27-Apr-20 13:28:57

It is spelled Porage on the packet!

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 13:26:16

Nope...no biscuits.
BTW... porridge, porage? ... Correct spelling anyone, or is it down to area preferences?

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 13:23:56

Mr ? doing very well Kalu thank you. Will try to get pic when he's fit to go wild again.

Kalu Mon 27-Apr-20 13:21:52

Love rhubarb crumble but no flour to be had so as I always have a plenty supply of Porage Oats will give your recipe a try Gabriella. I am wondering, as I love amaretti, would the soft type biscuit work broken into bits?

Taichinan Mon 27-Apr-20 13:15:04

Hello everybody from a cool, cloudy raining (!) Angus coast. Actually, I tell a lie. That's hail!! Not hail to thee, but hail as in stones. Goodness me. Actually my FB memories yesterday were of photos of the snow on that day in 2016 so nothing surprises me. To think that this time yesterday I was reclining elegantly (or not) on my sun lounger beside the pond. Nobody can say our climate is boring! Talking of which. I have a TV on the back wall of the garden room which is like a beautiful picture of our view when it's switched off. It was so attractive that I took a photo of it and put it on our family WhatsApp. DS2 immediately came back with "Mum. You're bored!". So little appreciation, these young things (he's 51, but all things are comparative). Loved your gentle 'chastisement' Marydoll - my thoughts persactly. And I do hope your DH's test results were encouraging Gingster. I hope that's the correct post - my memory is dreadful! I do love reading about who's doing what in which kind of weather all around the country, but when I've finished reading I'm left with a sort of fuzzy, cosy blur! But I do love the picture of you marching backwards and forwards on your balcony to "Barbara Ann" Urmstongran. The perfect song for it! I remember once we were doing a tai chi demo at a country fair when a nearby band struck up with "Moon River". For a couple of minutes or so we moved gently and gracefully in time. And then they moved on to something rather different - it could well have been "Barbara Ann"!!! It was quite challenging to maintain our own rhythm ?. Now I must put on my wooly jumper and winter coat and go and feed the fish. There's blue sky shining above ..... And I might pick some rhubarb and break out the oats! I'm so sorry for those of you with pain and worries. Have the best and warmest and sunniest day you can ???

Kalu Mon 27-Apr-20 13:03:59

Good morning from a sunny/not sunny day in Glasgow but still pleasant enough to do bits and pieces outside.

Such a long wait for your ops. annsixtyYou are such a strong woman having coped so well taking of your DH. Waking in pain everyday must be awful bearing this too. I hope it won’t be much longer before your ops. ?

Hoping to hear good news for your DH Gingster?
Any update on Mr ? Gabriella? Still no sign of Stumpy here.
Bundles of hope this is the start of a good week for you too gilly?

Washing machine is on the blink so as a last resort I am hoping a few sweet nothings talk does the trick. Who says I have lost the plot??

Another faffing day ahead for me and hope that everyone has the best day possible.

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 11:47:54

Yes ..I too like Amaretti but not tried in a crumble and I totally agree with you. Italian dust is the result when you crush them.
I did try that when topping a fruit fool.
Dis-arrr-ster ??

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 11:41:12

Gabriella, I too use oats, but a mixture of oats and flour.
However, I tried a recipe the other day, where you use crushed Amaretti biscuits.
I didn't get it quite right. It wasn't so much rhubarb crumble, as rhubarb powder! [blush}

Beechnut Mon 27-Apr-20 11:32:30

Cheers Gabriella. I’ll be making that crumble after my next shopping experience. ?

dragonfly46 Mon 27-Apr-20 11:18:09

They are sedating Dexter again as he would not let them look in his eyes. It is such a worry.

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 10:58:57

lucky picky

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 10:58:27

Hi Beechnut
You're not being lucky at all. I realised that might be misconstrued as 'a tumbler'.
No, I meant to be ridiculous. A tumble (in my world) is simply what falls out when you shake the box.
As much as you need for the size of dish you plan to fill, in other words and the melted butter will need to be enough to coat them but not leave a pool in the bowl.
Most of us don't work to exact measurements do we, unless it's a specific recipe or baking?
I never add anything else bar sugar and not much of that if the fruit underneath is sweet.
Enjoy...??

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-Apr-20 10:48:41

Kate54
???
It's amazing what daft things you can find to do when you're trying to fill your day.

I use the soft brush attachment with handheld vac.
Cotton shades get a gentle wash in the bath with a drop of shower gel or similar and a soft brush, rinsed with the shower head, patted dry with J cloth and left to complete drying in utility room or outside in good weather.

Beechnut Mon 27-Apr-20 10:48:04

Gabriella sorry to be picky about your last post. Did you mean a tumbler of oats and would the sugar proportion be to own taste. My SiL friend made a crumble with oats and it was delicious.

Legs55 Mon 27-Apr-20 10:46:36

Good morning all from overcast Devon sun is trying to break through ,rain forecast this week.Looks like my plan to carry on painting my bedroom is a good one. I had a very late night early morning so got up latehmm.

I need to go shopping for a few bits later, quick trip into Town rather than Supermarkets.

Hope Garden Centres are allowed to open soon, so wrong that they are closed, social distancing would be less of a problem than in most Supermarkets although having seen the queues at B&Qconfused

Best wishes to allflowers

Bennan Mon 27-Apr-20 10:39:05

I just have to get this off my chest, oh, Good Morning, everyone. My grandsons come to visit us as their father lives here with us. It is acceptable under the guidelines for separated parents. It has not been a problem until yesterday when the oldest GS announced that on his return to Suffolk he was intending to go out to work on a farm picking asparagus. I was horrified! I burst into tears! After all the trouble we have taken to stay safe, to keep them safe, he decided this was what he wanted to do because he wants to buy a desk!! He has gone back to Suffolk. The younger GS is staying with us while we get this sorted out. His father is very annoyed with the older boy (he’s 16) as he is still working and being very careful to ensure our safety. We are not sure how his mother will react. She has two very vulnerable parents as well. Any ideas, anyone?

Kate54 Mon 27-Apr-20 10:09:34

Morning from grey Lincolnshire. I was going to tackle my tax return but might just hoover the lampshades instead (thanks for the tip!). My crumble tip in return is a third porridge oats, a third chopped mixed nuts and a third ready made crumble mix (some have less sugar content than others).
TV recommendation - After Life on Netflix. Not a fan of Gervais when he’s being himself but have to commend him on this. Bit sweary but if you can get over that...
Have just seen on Victoria Derbyshire an excellent segment on Coronavirus on autism. We worry daily about our adult son (severe autism , learning disability and challenging behaviour) who lives in a care home. This sort of care home hasn’t had much attention. We can’t visit and they’re not being very proactive so a huge worry especially if he and/or staff fall ill.
Sorry, that wasn’t a very cheerful end to what’s designed to be a daily uplifting thread!
Have a great lampshade-hoovering day folks!
P.s not being snide about the lampshades by the way - full of admiration and embarrassment about being too lazy myself!