Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy Birthday Captain Tom Moore

(39 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Thu 30-Apr-20 07:39:40

I hope he has a lovely day, I've just watched how some of the money he has raised is being spent in the wards.
Well done!

Callistemon Thu 30-Apr-20 10:51:20

Happy 100th birthday Colonel Tom Moore

May you have a happy and peaceful day with your family.
Enjoy the fly-past, and remembering all those brave men, many of whom died to bring us peace.

Daddima Thu 30-Apr-20 12:34:36

Here he is on Blankety Blank!

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08bw9lr

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:47:07

That was lovely,Daddima I still miss Terry Wogan though.
Nice to see Colonel Tom in his younger days

Jabberwok Thu 30-Apr-20 14:03:50

I think it was a Spitfire and a Hurricane. A wonderful way to acknowledge this very brave man. Happy Birthday to you Sir!

nanaK54 Thu 30-Apr-20 14:31:03

A wonderful, inspirational man - happy 100th birthday

craftyone Thu 30-Apr-20 14:41:00

He has such a beautiful spirit, happy birthday, he is just what we need at such a difficult time. The spitfires were a fitting tribute to an ex serviceman whose face lit up with pride when they went overhead. British designed and built in his lifetime

merlotgran Thu 30-Apr-20 15:27:08

Yes, a Spitfire and a Hurricane from RAF Coningsby.

rosecarmel Thu 30-Apr-20 15:49:07

Fantastic story, Happy Birthday smile

AGAA4 Thu 30-Apr-20 16:06:07

He is a ray of sunshine in all this gloom. Happy Birthday Colonel Tom!

FoghornLeghorn Thu 30-Apr-20 17:16:17

I don’t think Spitfires should be celebrated. They are killing machines, like all weapons of war.

If it wasn’t for Spitfires and their brave pilots we’d all be speaking German so I’m happy to celebrate them.

Toadinthehole Thu 30-Apr-20 17:47:19

I think it’s a shame a few of you have picked on Grandma70’s for her comment. It’s obviously invoked a disturbing memory for her. I can imagine my mum, a child in the war, saying something similar. I didn’t feel she was belittling in any way, just saying what she remembered. This possibly wasn’t the right thread for it, but the memory is there nonetheless. I feel for all casualties of war, not just the British ones. I often wonder what would have happened if Germany had won. They certainly seem to thrive now, tackling CV much better than us.

Callistemon Thu 30-Apr-20 18:25:21

It's a lovely thread wishing a wonderful old man a happy 100th birthday.

DH thought the fly-past was an excellent touch and he lost his pilot officer father in the war, although his plane wasn't a killing machine.
I'm sorry some don't feel any gratitude to those brave men.

It was an inappropriate remark, really, for a lovely thread.
Perhaps starting another thread would have been more appropriate.

Toadinthehole Thu 30-Apr-20 18:49:02

Yes, I agree it probably was the wrong thread, but still.....people are maybe not thinking as clearly as they normally would, and it just took her back to a dark place. I suppose I just try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.