Gransnet forums

Chat

Net curtains

(109 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 03-May-20 12:27:16

Does anyone have net curtains anymore, spending the lockdown at home 24/7 you tend to notice things that you have never really thought about before, (I’m not bored Honestly! ) but gardening at the front of my house,and looking at the houses around me, not one pair of net curtains in any of the windows! I personally haven’t had any since the eighties

GabriellaG54 Sun 03-May-20 14:21:48

Haha ?? very droll Mrs phoenix

glammanana Sun 03-May-20 14:26:23

Alishka My mum was the same also with the brass ware on the front door it had to be gleaming.

Loislovesstewie Sun 03-May-20 14:30:03

Voile panels; we have huge windows and I don't want the neighbours seeing our muddles!

annodomini Sun 03-May-20 14:35:07

My front windows are no more than a couple of metres from the pavement, so I put voile panels over them when I moved in. Now they have vertical blinds instead.

Alishka Sun 03-May-20 14:37:59

glammanana my lovely neighbour used to do mine every week.I gifted her my tin of Brasso. She developed dementia and had to go into sheltered accommodation last yearsadI miss her still, not least for her Brasso abilitiessmile

GillT57 Sun 03-May-20 14:38:48

God, I hate nets. Bit too Hyacinth Bouquet to my mind. All prissiness and flowery sofas. I am with GabriellaG on this, give me a house with stuffed bookshelves. I assume, GabriellaG that you also subscribe to the theory that one's bookcase should be wider than one's tv? grin

quizqueen Sun 03-May-20 14:41:02

My front garden is huge and I live in a cul de sac so it would be only the same old neighbours walking by, with binoculars, who could look in my front room, and the bedrooms at the front are for visitors. I must admit though, if I am out walking in the dark, I do like to take a quick sneaky peep through people's windows, as I pass, if they have the light on and their curtains aren't drawn. I believe they leave their lives on show for that purpose!

GillT57 Sun 03-May-20 14:44:23

Confession time; although I do not have the despised net curtains, I do have a long and high privet hedge at the front, live in a cul de sac.......maybe a bit more Hyacinth than I care to admit.

SalsaQueen Sun 03-May-20 14:45:55

No, I've got vertical blinds in the lounge, roller blinds in the dining room and kitchen, and the bedrooms have all got curtains. Nothing at the frosted bathroom window, as that room is not overlooked.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 03-May-20 14:46:13

I agree quizqueen love it if people don’t draw their curtains when I’m walking by, even better when used to sit on the top of double decker bus could see into their bedrooms, (Not That I’m nosey of course)

phoenix Sun 03-May-20 14:54:51

Some interesting comments!

Our sitting room is at the rear of the house, looks onto fields, if the deer want to look in, no problem! (Spare bedroom the same)

Anyone is welcome to look into the kitchen, which is at the front.

As mentioned, the only room with net curtains is our bedroom.

Perhaps in some cases, net curtains are more to do with location of the window, rather than "class"?

SueDonim Sun 03-May-20 14:59:48

I haven’t had nets for decades. Although I do have a small voile* panel in the cloakroom loo as it’s overlooked by next doors drive and I think it might put them off their driving to see me perched on the throne. grin

*Im not sure what the difference is between a net and a voile. It’s not like my solitary voile is made of silk or anything.

phoenix Sun 03-May-20 15:02:17

Suedonim I think voiles could be less "see through", could be wrong though!

Chewbacca Sun 03-May-20 15:10:57

When I moved into this house last year, every window had net curtains that were strung onto those thin white plastic wires that the previous owners had stupidly screwed into the actual upvc window frames. The first thing I did was rip the lot down. They were so filthy dirty with grease that the damned things stuck to my fingers. envy (not envy) They were minging. Took me ages to go round every window frame and fill all the little holes in the frames. angry

Grandmafrench Sun 03-May-20 15:29:52

Yes phoenix voile has a higher thread count.
We’ve not had nets, voiles or sheers because we haven’t been overlooked in any house in almost 30 years. Here we have shutters at all windows for night time if we want, and linen curtains just to dress some windows, wooden blinds in others. I don’t think there’s any ‘class’ thing involved with sheers at the windows especially if privacy is necessary. It all depends on the style and of house/design/effect......there’s nothing prettier than very clean sheers blowing at the open windows of a beach house or a Swedish-style painted apartment with attractive cotton panels. There’s everything wrong with greasy nets pinned up hiding dirty windows or unkempt interiors.

phoenix Sun 03-May-20 15:38:04

Thank you Grandmafrench!

I have a very plain net curtain at our bedroom window (the only one that we have one) purely for privacy. As mentioned in a previous post, location, rather than "class" could possibly influence the decision!

Please take that on board, Gabriella!

Squiffy Sun 03-May-20 15:43:58

Gabriella You’d love looking in my windows then! Bookcase full of interesting tomes (well, that’s debatable!) and the room is definitely showing signs of being lived in! No sock on the floor though. Yet! ?

Bellasnana Sun 03-May-20 15:52:37

I’ve got nothing against net or voile curtains although I never had them in 35 years because the two houses we lived in in the course of those years were not overlooked at all.

However, when I was widowed and decided to downsize, I have a big French window at the front which does have a long plain voile curtain as I don’t particularly want passers by to gawp into my living room. I don’t have them anywhere else. I don’t know why people have to be snobby about them though.

phoenix Sun 03-May-20 15:53:58

're that tv versus bookshelves thing, we have only 1 smallish tv, in the sitting room, but books (including reference books) in every room, bar the bathroom!

Can I come out from under the table now, Gabriella?

ExD Sun 03-May-20 15:57:53

20 years ago when my daughter lived in Germany every house had them in every window. And very elaborate some of them were too, I was very impressed and bught some and put them in our bedroom window here in England, but somehow they just looked silly and fussy.
I took them down.

SueDonim Sun 03-May-20 16:04:09

Ooh, every day is a school day on GN! Now I know the difference between net and voile. smile

I like it in autumn when it starts to get dark earlier but people don’t draw their curtains and I can see into their houses. Some look so cosy!

JenniferEccles Sun 03-May-20 16:34:18

“Like a secret dogger “

Gabriella really ????!!

GillT57 Sun 03-May-20 16:41:17

My issue is with nets which are 'decorative' rather than functional. A sheer voile can be lovely, frilled nets with patterns, or that rise up in the middle ( defeating the whole privacy issue) are something different. As for grey, greasy ones, half hanging........

phoenix Sun 03-May-20 17:05:10

I refer to those that that rise up in the middle as "nosers nets"!

BlueSky Sun 03-May-20 17:17:40

Glammanana I love white lace curtains! I used to have them everywhere all matching, look so smart from inside and outside! When I remarried the new Mr Blue insisted on blinds everywhere! shock